X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Operation:Mego
    I'm the Star Spangled Man
    • May 21, 2011

The Plot:

The storyline is being described by writer-director Shane Black as being a Tom Clancy-thriller, with Iron Man fighting real world villains. Black stated, 'the studio wasn't happy with the result of Iron Man 2, as a result that pretty much came about due to a rushed production schedule in an attempt to hit a release date rather than simply make a good film. Iron Man 3 will not be another, 'two men in iron suits fighting each other'. Instead, it will be more like a Tom Clancy-thriller, with Iron Man fighting real world villians, it will be a post-Avengers the various films will focus on individual heroes, and that the crossovers were designed primarily as a lead in to that Joss Whedon-directed film.
    Can't wait!

Edit: I actually like Iron Man 2, and am shocked that Marvel feels that way about it.
    Last edited by Operation:Mego; Aug 25, '12, 10:12 AM.
    sigpic
    The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• Brazoo
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 14, 2009

Those shots on the cables look crazy/phenomenal! I'm stoked that one of these superhero movies FINALLY hired a guy who specializes in making action movies to direct.

I didn't hate Iron Man 2, but I think the studio is 100% right. To me all the great stuff in Iron Man 1 & 2 is the character facing real life threats - the 'two men in iron suits fighting each other' was the least interesting thing to me in both movies.

Comment

• May 21, 2011

I just don't get why Marvel thinks a 3 minute fight-scene at the end of the movie is cause to say 'it's not a good film.' And if that's what they didn't like about Iron Man 2, then why change the script to include that scene when it wasn't originally? With that said though, Black's film sounds like it will be the best of the three.
        sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Just saw this of Cheadle on set:

I wonder if he'll wear the Iron Patriot painted War Machine armor; or before it gets painted. What I mean is, 'will he wear the armor at all'?
          sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Mandarin's dialogue from the Comic-Con teaser:

The Mandarin: Some people call me a terrorist. I consider myself a teacher. Lesson number one: Heroes, there is no such thing.

Sounds ominous.
            sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Shane Black has called Kingsley's performance as the Mandarin 'terrifying.'
              sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Another new pic, nothing too special. 'Course, since no one's been commenting (besides myself) I have no idea why I'm even doing this. Though I won't stop for some reason...
                sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I wonder what Favreau thinks about not being in the director chair. Has to be a bit odd.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      I wonder what Favreau thinks about not being in the director chair. Has to be a bit odd.

Chris
                      He actually said that not being the director allowed him to have more fun with the role.
                      sigpic

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                        Career Member
                        • Jan 13, 2009

I am liking the look of the film so far. Like the Mandarin-terrorist angle, along with the Iron Patriot armor. Hoping for a great character-driven film!

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Originally posted by cockyhoskins
                          I am liking the look of the film so far. Like the Mandarin-terrorist angle, along with the Iron Patriot armor. Hoping for a great character-driven film!
                          So far it sounds like IM3 with be exactly that!
                          sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

More updates/information/interviews:

"Truthfully, the way to go about doing a part 3, if you’re ever in that position, as I’m lucky enough to be, is to find a way that the first two weren’t done yet. You have to find a way to make sure that the story that’s emerging is still ongoing and, by the time you’ve finished 3, will be something resembling the culmination of a trilogy. It’s about, 'How has the story not yet been completely told?,' and I think we’re getting there. I think we’ve really found ways to make this feel organic and new, based on what’s come before, and that’s what I’m happy about."

—Shane Black, director of Iron Man 3, on the film.

In early September, it was reported that Wang Xueqi had been cast as Chen Lu, the role Lau had been up for. A Chinese scientist and old friend of Tony Stark's who comes to his aid

Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark / Iron Man:
                            On making a third Iron Man film, Downey replied "My sense of it is that we need to leave it all on the field — whatever that means in the end. You can pick several different points of departure for that." Downey, who had previously starred in Black's film Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, said "Bringing in Shane Black to write and direct Iron Man 3 to me is basically the only transition from Favreau to a 'next thing' that Favreau and the audience and Marvel and I could ever actually sign off on." On following up The Avengers, Downey said that they "tried to be practical, in a post-Avengers world. What are his challenges now? What are some limitations that might be placed on him? And what sort of threat would have him, as usual, ignore those limitations?"

Don Cheadle as USAF Lt. Col. James "Rhodey" Rhodes / War Machine:
                            Asked whether his character would wear armor in the film, Cheadle stated "I do suit up. There are some different iterations that War Machine goes through, in this film. I don’t want to give them away, but it’s fun to see those things morph and shift."

Ben Kingsley as The Mandarin:
                            The leader of a terrorist organization, and Iron Man's archenemy. He will be portrayed as more of a behind the scenes villain in the film. Kingsley was filming Ender's Game when he was cast, and said that "Quite soon I'll be with everybody and we'll be discussing the look and the feel and the direction of the character. It's very early days yet, but I'm so thrilled to be on board."

Guy Pearce as Aldrich Killian:
                            The creator of the Extremis virus. On why he took the role, Pearce said "I feel a little more experimental in what I'll take on these days, but I still don't know that I would want to play the superhero myself, since I'm playing a different kind of character in this film... The main difference was that, when I did The Time Machine, I was pretty much in all of it, so it was a really grueling experience. Prometheus and Iron Man are really kind of cameo stuff, so the experience of shooting them... I mean, on some level, it's tricky because you feel like a bit of an outsider. You don’t really live the experience that you do when you're there all day every day with everybody. But at the same time, it can be more fun sometimes because you're just working in concentrated spurts."

Rebecca Hall as Dr. Maya Hansen:
                            One of the Extremis creators and an ex-flame of Tony Stark. Hall confirmed that Hansen would be a "strong female character" in the film, and described her decision to take the role, saying "I decided to do Iron Man 3 because I've never done the 'hurry up and wait' movie before. Even the studio movies I've done have been small studio movies, or indie films that we made on a wing and a prayer. I love those, but Iron Man is refreshing in a way because it's something out of my realm of experiences."

Stan Lee will have a cameo as a beauty pageant judge.

Kevin Feige revealed that Iron Man 3 "is a full-on Tony Stark-centric movie ... very much inspired by the first half of Iron Man ... He’s stripped of everything, he’s backed up against a wall, and he’s gotta use his intelligence to get out of it. He can’t call Thor, he can’t call Cap, he can’t call Nick Fury, and he can’t look for the Helicarrier in the sky."

It was reported that the large water tank in the EUE/Screen Gems Studios was being used to film a scene in which Stark's Malibu mansion would be destroyed and fall into the ocean.
                            sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

And now, more pictures:

sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

The film's plot:

In the aftermath of The Avengers, Tony Stark has taken his role of Iron Man more seriously. In the wake of the sudden appearance of the deadly "Extremis" virus, Stark faces off against a terrorist known as the Mandarin.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎