X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noelani72
    27inaleon
    • Jun 25, 2002

New head in the making.

What do you get when you merge a Mattel Black Adam head with a Darkseid face?

One neat looking monster.

Once I made a resin cast of Black Adam, I cut the face off, sawed the head into two to make it wider. Filled in with oven bake clay, cooked, and recast.

new head.jpg

The new head is still a WIP - my end goal is to add hair, goatee, cigar in the left side of his mouth.... and a couple sawed off horns.
    Yup, Hellboy.

But as you can see, the head has more possibilities.
  • danadoll
    Micronaut Nut!
    • Apr 11, 2005

That is a neat looking monster...Great job! Right now, he looks a bit like the orcs from the LOTR movies.

Dana
    "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

looks like it will be a good base for Hellboy. good eye.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
        Mighty Man/Monster Maker
        • Aug 14, 2007

Nice. Very cool.

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
        https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by danadoll
          Right now, he looks a bit like the orcs from the LOTR movies.

Dana
          That was might first thought too! Don't sculpt any hair on him Chad and he would look like an Orc from LOTR.
          sigpic

Comment

• noelani72
            27inaleon
            • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by The Bat
            That was might first thought too! Don't sculpt any hair on him Chad and he would look like an Orc from LOTR.
            Yeppers, Sean has already started brainstorming on doing a couple of those monsters from Lord of the Rings.

I have the mold for the head as you see it..bald.
            Once I use a casting from that mold to build on the hair and horns, I'll have a old for that one too.
            Anything I build, I mold. Word. Lol.

Comment

• noelani72
              27inaleon
              • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by noelani72

Yeppers, Sean has already started brainstorming on doing a couple of those monsters from Lord of the Rings.

I have the mold for the head as you see it..bald.
              Once I use a casting from that mold to build on the hair and horns, I'll have a old for that one too.
              Anything I build, I mold. Word. Lol.
              Here's a pic of how Sean (aka Legend of Link) experimented with painting.

(posting using Forum Runner for iPad)

image-3085593482.jpg
              Last edited by noelani72; Aug 1, '12, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• noelani72
                27inaleon
                • Jun 25, 2002

started experimenting with clay these past couple nights...still a WIP but you get the idea where this head can go.

hellboy_workup.jpg

Comment

• bagmonster
                  Registered Lurker
                  • Apr 13, 2002

Yeah...that is fantastic.

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

Really coming along! Thanks for the WIP pics.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                      OH JES!!
                      • Jul 21, 2005

Looks like that head would make a great Triton from the Inhumans too!

Comment

• noelani72
                        27inaleon
                        • Jun 25, 2002

thanks everyone.
                        As mentioned regarding the "good eye", that's how my brain see things...
                        However, I cannot sculpt a likeness to save my rear..nope, just have not figured that part out yet...but, the frankensteining of existing parts is really cool...

For any of you who already have a Darkseid head, you can see it is a little larger than a typical 8" guy since they buffed the figure up with that puffy outfit.
                        I'm waiting on a DrMego Hulk body to be the Hellboy base. Still on the fence about how I am going to do it.
                        If I don't like the results, the thought has crossed my mind to mod an existing body, mold it, cast parts, and just go all out on a new body cast in red.

I like the idea of Triton - I agree it would go over very well for this figure.

Comment

• noelani72
                          27inaleon
                          • Jun 25, 2002

spent a few hours yesterday with a quiet house...

I had to break down and go purchase some spot filler to get a few rough spots on the head.
                          I used sandable grey primmer in light coats to sand-n-fill, sand-n-fill. Once all done, he got a coat of sealant and mold release and in the silicone it went.

Started fixing some of the areas where you could tell I merged the Black Adam and Darkseid heads.
                          Plus, the spot filler helped feather out the newly added clay around his horns.

As the size of the head grew because of that goatee and hair bun, I was beginning to get worried about molding it.
                          I figured I was going to run into problems with air getting trapped and resulting in poor castings.

So, I made vents in my mold for the first time. Is there a correct way to do this? Beats me...but here is what I did....

I suspended the head upside down in a Dixie cup (as I usually do).
                          Once centered, I strategically drilled three small holes in the cup walls.
                          The location of the holes, as well as the angle, were very important....

I took three toothpicks and cut off the sharp, pointed end. That gave me a nice, flat brunt edge.
                          I inserted a toothpick into each hole, carefully, and butted the flat edge up against each horn, and the center of the hair bun.
                          My vision was as the mold started to fill with resin, air would be forced out thru those three small chambers with a tad of resin seeping out into the Dixie cup.

If I lost you in the translation, just imagine putting a Christmas Tree in its stand while you twist the lag bolts to center the tree....same principal I applied using the toothpicks.

Demolding the head was a piece of cake.
                          I slit the Dixie cup and the very fine film of resin that seeped out of the vents easily pulled off. Actually, since I demold sooner than the manufacturer suggests, the sliver of resin actually in the vent channels - well, it pulls right out and you can't even tell where it was attached to the horns or hair bun.

But, despite the clever vents...I still have a minor hiccup with trapping air.
                          I either get a small pocket of empty space on the hair bun, or the goatee...depending which way I hold the mold as I pour resin.

if I had a pressure pot thingie like Austin showed us at MegoMeet, perhaps this would solve my issue.

To guarantee perfect results, I will probably make the hair bun as a separate piece and attach it. No one would ever know....

Time to start a new thread since I've explained this Frankenstein-method of making the head

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎