So today was my scheduled "do nothing productive to put your head back on straight" day, and with a few rent gigs wrapped up I plan on casting into the am (I'm looking at You SeattleEd). I figured I'd share some of the day's leisure activity:
I had this spare LJN head wearing a pair of Big Jim boxing gloves and knocking Superman around, so I've pressed him into Colonial Viper Pilot service. The sculpt is a weird amalgamation of both Boomer and Col. Tigh, so I guess if anyone is looking for either in a pinch it'd work ok, but it's not spot on for either.
What I did here was really basic. I had set up some tan Rit to boil to see how much closer to "I can live with that" I could get Apollo. The color does actually help a bit. Since I already had the dye going I also tanned out a pair of the old Playing Mantis AJ Army uniform pants (Pretty sure that's where they came from) and an already stained a bit HD Fonzie shirt from the spare outfits bin.
The fonzie fabric took the tan a lot faster than I expected, as I'd never dyed mego poly before - but it turned out a kind of neat color (too dark, but that's ok) AND it's a happy accident because this experience solves a problem for another project.
I'd thought about using the pants from the CTVT Space:1999 second season crew, but they're not a dark enough tan either, and the fabric is very thick. They also don't fit well, because they're too tight in the thigh.
I put some Little John boots I had on boomer for the compare.
You can see where there's too much fabric on the Apollo legs (they're basically bell bottom width all the way up the leg) but there's enough bones there to be perfectly workable if they're just taken in on the inseam a bit.
The top is very baggy, but again, probably stitched 4 or 5 mm tighter up the sideseams would do it.
I put a small slot notch into either side of the blaster handle, only just as deep as the grip pops out, and that allows smooth vinty handgrip. Anyone that knows me probably already knows I'll probably be recasting myself some in a hard teal or purple too.
Taking a fresh look at the jacket with another head in place, I noticed that what was going on was slightly different than I thought before (dude! I was WRONG!!) ok ok... but seriously it's a combination of small problems.
1) there is enough back fabric material but it's hamstrung by the critical shortness of the collar, and the way the collar is stitched. It effectively gathers up all the fabric like a drawstring.
2) the waist is far too wide. The jacket needs to be taken in considerably and then it will lay less like an awkward cardigan.
3) the figures neck, it's just too damned big.
Here it is laying flat, but positioned to show what it would look like with the sides lined up.
Here it is gathered in the front to see how it would lay:
and again showing the amount of material we're talking about:
Finally the crew hangs out while Magnus: Sharkbot Jumper makes a guest appearance.
I'll be modding the jacket to see where it can go before I commit to hacking one up for a restart. My early estimate is there's too much fabric in the waist, and not enough fabric in the collar. The collar is a problem unless i can get out and luck into finding some microfiber Ultrasuede to match this color, which is a real longshot.
Either way with some simple alterations (minus the need for new heads) there's a serviceable starter point to be had here.