Talkative Member
    • Jun 14, 2008

Now THAT is a great figure!
    JediJaida

Comment

• Jerry68
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 12, 2008

These are an utter dissapointment to me. Product should never have been put out like this. I like BBP, but there is no excuse for this .. Just saying.
      sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Thanks for the review. I do like the Cylon and will be getting him. Since these characters are not really known for a wide array of poses outside of standing and holding a gun, I'll look past the articulation issues and get a couple anyway. They look fun and I appreciate your review showing all the details.

Comment

• BlackKnight
          The DarkSide Customizer
          • Apr 16, 2005

I bought a Cylon ..., to try and Support Something here, despite the 50/50 Lets "Fix" Stuff with a Toy I paid Full price on's Review.
          But I can't buy the rest. The Blue Print was done Pretty Damn Bad *** already in customland, and it's too bad re-mego didn't follow suit. I don't understand the idea of not being able to make articulation happen in this scale. I feel somemore thought on the subject should be considered.
          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Tothiro
            Kitten Mittens
            • Aug 28, 2008

Real Talk:
            A lot about this I don't get. Did these heads start out 31% larger than scale, factoring in 6% for shrink? Because even if you make them 6% smaller, factoring on 6% - 8% shrink that never happens these would still have turned out 17-19% too large, except that happened once already with Baker, and with Kate, and with Juliet, and it looks like poor Leela is next in the pipe to suffer judging from those proto sculpts - so maybe BBP likes them this way?

Man I really hope the message gets through and this doesn't happen anymore. Making it a subject of derision in podcasts and in-jokes and trade show signs is cool and all, but I hope the problems are fixed first and then we can all happily go back to being made fun of while playing with cool toys. =)

Edit:
            Ok one other thing that confuses me on the production side; neck plugs. The factories are engineering these things right? I mean a head has to fit in a body that it's designed for, so the neck plug has certain (mathematical) size tolerances that have to be met in the tooling and it seems to be happening... You see where I'm going with that?
            Last edited by Tothiro; Jul 23, '12, 6:34 AM.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

Well, once the problem of head size had been discovered (with Tom Baker for example), this shouldn't have happened and certainly shouldn't have come as a surprise.
              Unless I'm mistaken, the factory sends proofs to the owner for a last inspection, right? Meaning, you get in your hands the exact same thing that is going to be mass produced? So unless you really love big giant heads, an alarm bell should be going off.
              But I'll be the first to admit, I know little about the whole production process and all its pitfalls.
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• JediJaida
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 14, 2008

The overly large heads and super pasty, waxy looking complexions are the main reasons that I haven't bought anything from the Doctor Who line, as much as I was looking forward to it.

That and Leela's molded hair, along with Angeliques' were a complete turn off to me.

Not to mention the fact that the Angelique's head was super squishy, and the sculpt looked nothing like Lara Parker.
                JediJaida

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I hate this for BBP and Galactica fans. I understand that a lot of these things are hard to control. Jaida's comment on the pasty waxy look is also one of my primary concerns on BBP's stuff. I really think they are putting out a lot of great stuff, but it just falls a bit short due to these factors. I think the pasty looks sticks out partially due to most Mego's deep tans.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• HardyGirl
                    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                    • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                    Well, look at it this way: I bet a new BBP! helmet will fit him!
                    Y'know, I thought of that too!
                    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• HardyGirl
                      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                      • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by JediJaida
                      Now THAT is a great figure!
                      If you meant my Lt. Zac, thanks Jaida!
                      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• JediJaida
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 14, 2008

The pasty look was why I didn't jump in and get a Flash Gordon figure, back when they came out. That and the paint app looked to be very poorly done. It was as if the whole face was suffering from a gigantic case of paint rubs. Not very attractive.

Sorry BBP, this is in no way meant to hurt your feelings. I am simply being honest about what I feel is wrong with these figures.
                        JediJaida

Comment

• megoscott
                          Founding Partner
                          • Nov 17, 2006

Originally posted by Tothiro
                          Real Talk:
                          A lot about this I don't get. Did these heads start out 31% larger than scale, factoring in 6% for shrink? Because even if you make them 6% smaller, factoring on 6% - 8% shrink that never happens these would still have turned out 17-19% too large, except that happened once already with Baker, and with Kate, and with Juliet, and it looks like poor Leela is next in the pipe to suffer judging from those proto sculpts - so maybe BBP likes them this way?
                          Clarify your measurements or terms for me? Are you saying that the Apollo head is on par with Tom Baker? From the pictures it looks much worse to me. Other than the disappointment that his hat doesn't fit I don't find the Doctor's head to be cartoonishly big. It's large, but I can live with it. Similar to Brick's. These seem to be a different species of big and the helmet only makes it worse.

And you mention Juliet from Lost. She and Claire had crazy large proto heads but I felt the final size was perfect. Are you only referring to the protos?

The skin color thing seems to be the preference at BBP, I think it kills to detail in their nice sculpts.

Is it me or do you never see crazy big heads on EMCE protos for Trek and the Monsters? Seems like they don't have to advertise so much that they are just protos and the heads will shrink.

The inexactitude of this vinyl head process is very frustrating. When I hear "you need to sculpt it 5-8% bigger" I get nervous. This isn't done by computer.
                          This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Apositive
                            Career Member
                            • Apr 3, 2011

Thanks for this update...I definitely won't be buying this crap.

Comment

• BifBangPow! JLabs
                              Career Member
                              • Dec 21, 2009

Hi Everyone! I will be the first to officially admit that I don't like the size of Apollo's head either. As for standardizing the head size, believe me, this is going to be taken very seriously going forward. As for why this happened, I can blame it on our staff of 4 (including me), tight Comic-Con deadlines, running out of time, dealing with hundreds of products, etc., etc. - yes we have plenty of excuses as to why this didn't get caught before it shipped. But these excuses don't matter in the end. We put out a less than stellar product and for that I apologize to you. I hope you enjoy the majority of our products, and we really do care about what we are making. I strive for perfection, so this bothers me personally. We are already coming up with a revised internal process to remove any chance of this happening again. Acknowledge a problem if one exists and keep improving - that's what our goal is.
                              Co-founder, BifBangPow!
                              bifbangpow.com
                              twitter.com/bifbangpow

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                                Persistent Member
                                • Aug 12, 2004

Originally posted by BifBangPow! JLabs
                                Hi Everyone! I will be the first to officially admit that I don't like the size of Apollo's head either. As for standardizing the head size, believe me, this is going to be taken very seriously going forward. As for why this happened, I can blame it on our staff of 4 (including me), tight Comic-Con deadlines, running out of time, dealing with hundreds of products, etc., etc. - yes we have plenty of excuses as to why this didn't get caught before it shipped. But these excuses don't matter in the end. We put out a less than stellar product and for that I apologize to you. I hope you enjoy the majority of our products, and we really do care about what we are making. I strive for perfection, so this bothers me personally. We are already coming up with a revised internal process to remove any chance of this happening again. Acknowledge a problem if one exists and keep improving - that's what our goal is.
                                Are you guys satisfied with the SMDM figures? No extra big noggins I hope.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎