• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tothiro
    Kitten Mittens
    • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by ODBJBG
    That's disappointing. Cylon heads are too small, just as I feared
    A few have commented that the Cylon's head is too small. I want to say for the record that I think that isn't true. when I mentioned the dimensions being off, what i mean is the jaw to skull ratio. IE a human head would not fit a human jaw hinge in there. But otherwise the scale is actually right... I mean it's pretty dead on for classic mego sizing. I think what's throwing a lot of peeps is the human heads are so ridiculously large that maybe they're comparing them? In that case the cylon isn't giant-headed like the rest of the guys.
    I do think his noggin came out swell.

I want to say to anyone still wanting to pick up at least a Cylon who hasn't decided one way or the other yet - You should. It may not sound like it from the discussion, but I do really like this guy. It will look pretty killer on a shelf if that's your only thing. In fact if the arm cuffs were just glued to the sleeves instead of the arms so they could push forward and the elbows could bend, I might even have happily left it as it was (ok I would have carved some off the front of the pelvis clamshell so he could sit, but still).

Also, and this is probably the only "spin" I'd be likely to put on the outcome to borrow Jim's note, I think if these had landed in my mailbox from the old CTVT (because I haven't held a KISS figure) I'd have no surprises and would be telling everyone how much the company kind of turned around. That may sound like back-handed praise offered over a low bar - but what I'm trying to say is that BBP! has turned out such reliable product that has overall been so well done that there is an expectation of new stuff being right from the word go. I think part of the disappointment over misfires in this wave (those colonial heads... I would be happy dropping $20 if a right sized head were the only usable part in the box) comes not only from loving the property but also from BBP! having earned a higher expectation. The head scaling has I think, probably been a communication issue for a while with several offerings, but it's just really a shame this time around.

I know in my heart of hearts that if I could go impulse buy a few more Cylons this moment, I probably would.
    Last edited by Tothiro; Jul 21, '12, 4:35 AM.

Comment

• Tothiro
      Kitten Mittens
      • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by ctc
      Hmmmm....

They're a bit askance, but for me it's nothing insurmountable. If I can scrape together the extra bucks I'll definitely get them, but I can see tinkering with them a bit. (The helmet would probably fit another figure if you glue a small strip of sponge into it, like the old AJ helmets.)

Don C.
      I uh... I got nothing for that, D.
      I mean by all means pick 'em up - there's good to be had there, but I don't see any saving that helmet. It's legitimately out of every scale. It's wide enough for 12" scale, and tall enough for 10" scale. On an 8" figure the base of the helmet is exactly as wide as the shoulders.

Here's what I think is my final thought on head scale - and I'm really legit sorry to the BBP! guys and everyone helping out for whenever they walk in to see this thread... I mean I have a life, everyone here does, I go weeks sometimes without stopping off (it hurts, but I do it) and I'm sure they probably haven't opened the morning paper yet to see this.
      But anyway - I first thought from the SDCC pics that the heads were 10%, maybe 15% too large. Ok Let's look at that.
      I measured out a few - and I went metric - shazam, supes, and galahad are all about 3.2 cm tall from absolute base of neck (where it emerges from the torso) to top of head (supes is a touch taller maybe by .5mm). Spidey is 3.4, and Captain America - which everyone has widely regarded as a giant melon head, comes in at 3.5cm... Apollo sits at 4 cm. Taking Shazam as a baseline target goal, Apollo is a full 25% larger than he should be.

Ok wait, wait - there's variation in sculpt, hair size, etc right? I mean aqualad with his Giraffe neck and mussed 'do comes in at 3.2cm and he's perfectly scaled for 7" right? And who am I -the scale Nazi?? Ok. So let's go base of chin to top of eyebrow... I mean we're measuring faces then.

Captain Kirk - 1.7cm (also a 3.2cm head) Galahad - 1.6cm. Aquaman - 1.6 (and he's 3.4cm tall)
      Apollo clocks in at 2cm from chin to brow. That's half the total dimension - just like roughly all of the other heads.
      And here's the thing - Dr Who? 4cm tall. Ok I've heard it's all hair. I was told directly in a post that my measuring stick was broken - it was perfectly in scale (the actor just has a big head) chin to brow? Doc's face is 2cm tall. Just like Apollo's.

So I was thinking... 25% too large, that's basically a Matchbox 10" body, right? I have one of those around here don't I...

Wow.
      Just look at that. I mean that would have been an amazingly beautiful figure had it been made in scale.
      It ended up 1/7.2nd scale instead of 1/9th.

So... uhh, hey there. About that. Both sides of that ocean's got measuring sticks is all I'm saying. This guy? Not 100% convinced it's factory miscommunication. I dunno what the straight dope is, I'm just hoping something happens different in future waves. How awesome that looks on a 10" body is making me weep geek tears.

"Hey, hey uh, Boomer? Hey those were some pretty crazy mushrooms on that last planet, huh? Hey man. I feel kinda... You ever wonder about the Lords of Kobol? I mean really? Dude I feel alive. Hey Boomy buddy... You got spiders on your faces... You ok man? Hey, talk to me Boomy... Say the Safe Word..."

Last edited by Tothiro; Jul 21, '12, 7:46 AM.

Comment

• Boywonder0
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 29, 2007

Is that a foot crack? That's impossible in a Dr. Mego body! Did you switch the body?

Comment

• Chris
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 23, 2009

We swap the Apollo head with something resin and have ENYAWD paint it. Done and done. Luv the Cylon. G' Night Everybody!
          Last edited by Chris; Jul 23, '12, 6:56 AM.
          If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Tothiro
            Kitten Mittens
            • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by Boywonder0

Is that a foot crack? That's impossible in a Dr. Mego body! Did you switch the body?
            That cracked foot? On that 10" Matchbox body that's listed as a 10" Matchbox body in my post? No I didn't switch it - it's still a 10" Matchbox body. =)

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Tothiro
              I uh... I got nothing for that, D.
              I mean by all means pick 'em up - there's good to be had there, but I don't see any saving that helmet. It's legitimately out of every scale. It's wide enough for 12" scale, and tall enough for 10" scale. On an 8" figure the base of the helmet is exactly as wide as the shoulders.

Here's what I think is my final thought on head scale - and I'm really legit sorry to the BBP! guys and everyone helping out for whenever they walk in to see this thread... I mean I have a life, everyone here does, I go weeks sometimes without stopping off (it hurts, but I do it) and I'm sure they probably haven't opened the morning paper yet to see this.
              But anyway - I first thought from the SDCC pics that the heads were 10%, maybe 15% too large. Ok Let's look at that.
              I measured out a few - and I went metric - shazam, supes, and galahad are all about 3.2 cm tall from absolute base of neck (where it emerges from the torso) to top of head (supes is a touch taller maybe by .5mm). Spidey is 3.4, and Captain America - which everyone has widely regarded as a giant melon head, comes in at 3.5cm... Apollo sits at 4 cm. Taking Shazam as a baseline target goal, Apollo is a full 25% larger than he should be.

Ok wait, wait - there's variation in sculpt, hair size, etc right? I mean aqualad with his Giraffe neck and mussed 'do comes in at 3.2cm and he's perfectly scaled for 7" right? And who am I -the scale Nazi?? Ok. So let's go base of chin to top of eyebrow... I mean we're measuring faces then.

Captain Kirk - 1.7cm (also a 3.2cm head) Galahad - 1.6cm. Aquaman - 1.6 (and he's 3.4cm tall)
              Apollo clocks in at 2cm from chin to brow. That's half the total dimension - just like roughly all of the other heads.
              And here's the thing - Dr Who? 4cm tall. Ok I've heard it's all hair. I was told directly in a post that my measuring stick was broken - it was perfectly in scale (the actor just has a big head) chin to brow? Doc's face is 2cm tall. Just like Apollo's.

So I was thinking... 25% too large, that's basically a Matchbox 10" body, right? I have one of those around here don't I...

Wow.
              Just look at that. I mean that would have been an amazingly beautiful figure had it been made in scale.
              It ended up 1/7.2nd scale instead of 1/9th.

So... uhh, hey there. About that. Both sides of that ocean's got measuring sticks is all I'm saying. This guy? Not 100% convinced it's factory miscommunication. I dunno what the straight dope is, I'm just hoping something happens different in future waves. How awesome that looks on a 10" body is making me weep geek tears.

"Hey, hey uh, Boomer? Hey those were some pretty crazy mushrooms on that last planet, huh? Hey man. I feel kinda... You ever wonder about the Lords of Kobol? I mean really? Dude I feel alive. Hey Boomy buddy... You got spiders on your faces... You ok man? Hey, talk to me Boomy... Say the Safe Word..."

Damn. You're right, it's perfect on that Matchbox body.

Well..... anyone try an acetone bath yet?

I didn't intend to collect BSG anyway, but I do root for the success of retro figures. I'm sure this will be fixed as they continue to work with what I'm assuming is a new factory. Each time there's a switch, there's new hurdles to get over. I mean, LOST seemed to be in scale, Scott Ian, The Dude, Flash Gordon, etc.

I love BBP! and I genuinely like the sculpts they give us.

Out of curiosity, what kind of plastic is the helmet made out of? Is it vinyl, making it possible to shrink in acetone as well?
              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Tothiro
                Kitten Mittens
                • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                Out of curiosity, what kind of plastic is the helmet made out of? Is it vinyl, making it possible to shrink in acetone as well?
                It's a hard plastic, which would have been aces, except in this case, where it isn't =(
                I'll try filling in the face plate and making a slush mold, and then probably hitting it with reducit or something. I'm gunna have a lot of rescaling projects.

Though ... I guess strangely if someone wanted to full on embrace 1/7.2nd scaling they'd almost be there...
                Last edited by Tothiro; Jul 21, '12, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

If I had to do that much work to a professionally made figure to get it to pose or be in Mego scale, I'd box it up and send it back or throw it in the recycle bin.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• phil
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 11, 2007

What boots are Boomer wearing? Seeing Balor in the background convinces me he'd make a passable Baltar if you were going to play with the figures.

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      If I had to do that much work to a professionally made figure to get it to pose or be in Mego scale, I'd box it up and send it back or throw it in the recycle bin.
                      I totally agree. One should not have to "fix" a brand new $20 figure. I sure hope the SMDM figures don't have this problem.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        For sure!
                        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Harbingerboy
                          Career Member
                          • Jun 18, 2007

Wow...looking at that head on a 10" body makes me sad for what could/should have been.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by Tothiro
                            That cracked foot? On that 10" Matchbox body that's listed as a 10" Matchbox body in my post? No I didn't switch it - it's still a 10" Matchbox body. =)
                            My bad, Robert! I'm a lazy cat and when I see large threads I have the tendency to simply glance through it and not read completely...

It does look great in a Matchbox FXX body! And yes, these bodies trademark is a crack on the foot

Comment

• HardyGirl
                              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                              • Apr 3, 2007

282590_10150267537476812_56447971811_7752851_8246389_n.jpg

Well, after seeing this, I have to say that I like my Lt. Zac figure better. I think Jess did a really good job on the jacket and head. Even though the helmet doesn't fit, (b/c of the extra hair that was added onto the astronaut head), I still like mine better. Sorry Jason, I'm just telling it like it is.
                              Attached Files
                              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                                Often invisible
                                • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]895[/ATTACH]

Well, after seeing this, I have to say that I like my Lt. Zac figure better. I think Jess did a really good job on the jacket and head. Even though the helmet doesn't fit, (b/c of the extra hair that was added onto the astronaut head), I still like mine better. Sorry Jason, I'm just telling it like it is.
                                Well, look at it this way: I bet a new BBP! helmet will fit him!
                                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎