Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

Thank you for the review, it's very fair, just stating all the mathematical facts. And as we all know, math doesn't lie.

Yeah, problems, indeed. Seems like the factory didn't address previous issues mentioned. The head and helmet sizes are real dealbreakers. I have no idea why nobody said "no way" to this.
    The jackets are still pretty flimsy, as mentioned before.
    And the way the Cylon is stuck together seems very cheap.

I'm sure that BBP is the most frustrated among us. This can't be what they wanted. If BSG is going to continue, a serious change of direction is needed for series 2. Because remember, wave 1 has all of the big guns of the tv show, and if this doesn't work, what will that say about the future of wave 2?
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• megoscott
      Founding Partner
      • Nov 17, 2006

I had a ball upgrading the Lost figures, but I liked that show a lot better than BSG. And say what you will about those pale faces but at least Lost was in proportion and well tailored.

I recall BBP saying they had to move to a new factory that did smaller quantities, but that's for the next wave. These were from the original factory.
      This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• JediJaida
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 14, 2008

I had a feeling that this line would end up with problems. Which is a shame as I was really looking forward.to it.

Im just sorry that craig over at zica didnt do this line first.
        JediJaida

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

If BBP followed the Zica model, we'd get two characters done in really great quality and then the line would die due to poor sales. There needs to be a middle ground. There's also no guarantee that if Zica had done multiple figures in multiple licenses that they wouldn't have had some hiccups as well, like the boot issue they had for example. Don't get me wrong, Zica set the bar high but their first attempt wasn't sustainable.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

The problem may be a miscommunication with the factory. As we all should know by now, the original sculpt has to be a tad large to account for a 6% shrink when made in vinyl. Perhaps the factory thought that the originals had not accounted for that and upscaled them first so the resulting vinyl would match the original. And when something like that happens, you end up just having to go with it.
            The sculpts themselves are great. I'll bet it will be worked out for the next waves.
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• boss
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 18, 2003

I think you hit the nail on the head. Communications with Chinese factories is rough (my little bit of experience showed how painful this can be). Not having someone on site who is capable of A) noticing the problem and then B) having the power/authority/desire to get it remedied means you sometimes end up with product that is below what was originally intended. Managing this process from afar is difficult.

Imagine asking someone on the boards to make a custom figure for you. Now imagine this person is on the other side of the world and speaks a different language. Now imagine you have to pay them up front and you have little to no recourse if you don't like what they send you. Now multiply that by tens of thousands of dollars (minimum).
              Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 12, 2004

I really feel bad for the folks at BBP. I know a lot of effort went into making these figures, and I'm sure they're really disappointed with the end results. I had no interest in the BSG line, but I've already ordered four units each of SMDM. I'm already disappointed that Steve doesn't look a lot like Lee Majors, but I'm hoping that everything else is ok.
                Last edited by GlobalObserver; Jul 20, '12, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• rche
                  channeling Bob Wills
                  • Mar 26, 2008

imagine paying a little bit more and having it made in a US factory.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 12, 2004

Originally posted by rche
                    imagine paying a little bit more and having it made in a US factory.
                    I'm not aware of any U.S. factories that even do this sort of thing.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 12, 2004

I really don't know much about the way this sort of thing works, but didn't BBP have to give their stamp of approval on the final product before it went into production? Didn't they receive samples of the vinyl heads for approval?

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

They're a bit askance, but for me it's nothing insurmountable. If I can scrape together the extra bucks I'll definitely get them, but I can see tinkering with them a bit. (The helmet would probably fit another figure if you glue a small strip of sponge into it, like the old AJ helmets.)

Don C.

Comment

• rche
                          channeling Bob Wills
                          • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by GlobalObserver
                          I'm not aware of any U.S. factories that even do this sort of thing.
                          that's why you have to use your imagination. Plastic toys have been made in foreign factories for 50+ years in order to minimize labor costs and maximize profit on what is generally regarded as a disposable item.

However, if this sort of thing is viewed as a QC/language barrier problem, I'm just saying one solution would be to remove those barriers. So that would mean small scale (US) manufacturers would need to figure out a US factory sollution, or spend a bunch more on some plane tickets and learn one of the myriad Chinese dialects.

I don't really see any of these things happening so I am just sort of hanging on and seeing what comes out next.

Comment

• The Shadow
                            • Jun 22, 2011

Well, this si heartbreaking all around. BBP has got to be bummed after this much time and effort to see bobble heads and the reactions to them here. I know I'm bummed because I was really looking forward to these. I don't mind the Cylon so much, but Apollo's giant melon is a definate bummer.

Maybe someone can get on the phone and start screaming in mandarin to get another batch of Apollos and shrink the heads.

Thanks for the review, disappointing as it was

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

i still think they look great and can't wait to get them and put them on display.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                                Hi Ernie!!!
                                • Feb 15, 2004

Man, I keep looking at that big old waterhead Richard Hatch and hear the MST3K Big Head jingle.
                                tumblr_lx9djqt4Yt1qae7ll.jpg
                                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎