X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darklord1967
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 27, 2008

Post updated
    Last edited by darklord1967; Dec 18, '13, 1:38 PM.
    I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• darklord1967
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 27, 2008

Comment

• darklord1967
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 27, 2008

post updated.
        Last edited by darklord1967; Dec 18, '13, 1:38 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Wow...just wow. Stunning.

I would love to see a Batman movie one day that forgoes the rubber armor, and I can't imagine the costumes would look much better than this.

And you managed to translate the costumes in the exact way I see them in my head. Fantastic work!!!

Chris

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• darklord1967
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 27, 2008

Thanks a ton for the nice comments guys!

It never fails to amaze me how just one or two specific details on a Batman or Robin costume (combined with lighting, mood, and of course the body type of the individual wearing it) can really make or break the overall presentation of the uniform.

In the final analysis, I don't really feel as though I can take too much credit for the strong appearance of these costumes. After all, basically all I did was follow (virtually to the letter) what was presented successfully in the pages of the Comic Books for so many years.

The approach to these costumes was basically like this: "If a Batman film had been made within, say, a year or so of the release of the first Superman film with Chris Reeve, what would The Batman and Robin costumes look like with the same level of faithfulness demonstrated in that production?"

My response to that question (to the best of my abilities and finances) were these outfits.

I'll be the FIRST to admit that when it comes to The Batman and Robin, I am really a Silver Age purist. I don't really care for the all-black, armor-clad, "Robo-Batman" that we've seen in films since 1989. I have not really cared for the changes made to this character since the mid-1990's when he essentially became a walking armored Bat-computer.

And I really do NOT agree with the current popular opinion that states that in a modern, contemporary approach to The Batman, armor is the only way to go, because tights would look "silly".

That just isn't what I see.

To me, the simpler... the less cluttered... the less ornate The Batman's costume is, The more beautiful, elegant, stately, and gothic it becomes.

The less dependent on high-tech gizmos and outfits The Batman is, the more elegant, powerful, and SKILLED a crime-fighter he becomes.

Sadly, I seem to be very alone in my opinion judging by the number of folks who have attacked me for voicing it on other message boards. :up
            Last edited by darklord1967; Dec 2, '14, 1:56 AM.

Comment

• darklord1967
              Persistent Member
              • Mar 27, 2008

The next costume to be created for this stage play is going to be THE RIDDLER.

All items required to assemble together this costume have been ordered and have either been delivered or en-route.

This will be the green tights-wearing version of the Riddler, but wearing the bowler derby hat. Custom-made face mask, gauntlets and wide belt will be made in purple leather.

Months ago, when I first began to develop The Riddler’s costume, it was suggested to me that I could go with a simple, inexpensive Zentai unitard (from China) with basic silk-screened question marks for The Riddler's costume. But I quickly rejected that idea based on what I really imagined for this character's costume:

1) Firstly, I did NOT want The Riddler's tights to be a single piece, scoop neck unitard (as in Jim carrey's costume in "Batman Forever"). I felt that this would be overly plain an un-interesting.

In the tradition of Frank Gorshin's costume from the 1966 Batman TV series, I was of the opinion that the uniform would look better and richer as a two-piece ensemble with a turtle-neck. The mid-body break-up created by the seams around the leg openings and the big Purple waist belt give the costume visual interest. However, (unlike Gorshin's costume) I wanted question marks covering the entire costume... not just a single large mark on his chest and a line of marks down the sides of his legs.

2) Secondly, the tendency with a Zentai single piece unitard Riddler costume from China is that the question marks are all silk-screened in a random pattern... even upside down (just like the "Forever" costume). The graphics do NOT conform to any particular logic. It is almost as if the raw fabric is silkscreened with the random question marks PRIOR to the fabric being cut and sewn into the unitard garment. This was NOT the approach I wanted.

In the comics, The Riddler’s costume question marks are ALWAYS viewable as right-side-up... even if they are a bit skewed. This is the pattern I wanted to follow.

3) Thirdly, it was important to me that there be a single DOMINANT, larger question mark on the upper chest and back (just like in the comics).

4) Fourth, there was the consideration of the FONT of the question marks: I wanted the question marks (regardless of size) to all be ONE FONT, and I wanted a font that seemed classical and sophisticated... not just plain and basic. After some research, I selected a font known as “Tiffany” for this costume.

All of these guidelines meant that I had to select a suitable Kelly Green 4-way stretch spandex, and then fashion the plain green leotard and leggings garments through my local body suit supplier:

On Stage Dancewear
              197 Madison Ave (bet 34 & 35 St)
              New York, NY. 10016

Afterward, I ordered some special nylon-based iron-on question marks (in various sizes and in the font of my choice), and attached them one at a time to the garment.

It was long and tedious work. But in the end, the final effect on the finished costume was definitely worth the effort.

Last edited by darklord1967; Aug 27, '12, 2:59 PM.

Comment

• darklord1967
                Persistent Member
                • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                Wow...just wow. Stunning.

I would love to see a Batman movie one day that forgoes the rubber armor, and I can't imagine the costumes would look much better than this.

And you managed to translate the costumes in the exact way I see them in my head. Fantastic work!!!

Chris

Chris

I can't begin to tell you how nice it is to read a post like yours!!! It seems that for many people, a live-action version of The Batman will NEVER be acceptable unless it is in a mono-chomatic, all-black rubber muscle suit of armor... or some sort of overly-sculpted high-tech anti-ballistic uniform (like Chris Nolan's current version)

I understand how they feel.

However as a Batman Silver-Age - Modern Age comic book purist, THESE classic costume designs are the ONLY ones I care for... and the ONLY ones I would want to see in live action, so that is what I went with.

I am doubly thrilled whenever the teenaged cast of this play try on their classic-styled costumes and love them as much as they do! These are kids who are Batman fans weened on Burton / Schumacher/ and Nolan's armored Batmen)

It is truly a vindication for me!
                Last edited by darklord1967; Jul 6, '12, 6:35 PM.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

What a great thread (and threads)! Classic Batman! I'd kill to see a feature film with the characters looking like this!
                  Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Figuremod73
                    That 80's guy
                    • Jul 27, 2011

Much closer to the look I would like to see in a Bat-film. Just throw in some classic stories, make them cohesive, into one story and you have a flick thats better than most of the Batman movies already.

I bet its gonna be a cool play. Maybe you can film it and show it someday?

Comment

• darklord1967
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 27, 2008

^^ Shooting hi-def video of one of our performances is most CERTAINLY the plan!

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                      What a great thread (and threads)! Classic Batman! I'd kill to see a feature film with the characters looking like this!

You and I BOTH!! Just imagine a stylized feature film, done as a period piece... perhaps set in the 1940's... with a much more gothic take on Gotham City... MORE rain-slick cobblestone streets, gargoyles, and old cathedrals, and LESS modern glass skyscrapers (like Chris Nolan's current approach). I'm imagining an approach similar to what Peter Jackson did with the old New York scenes in his re-make of "King Kong".

I would be ALL OVER a film like that... with The Batman, Robin, Batgirl, The Joker, The Riddler, The Penguin Commissioner Gordon... all appearing as the classic comic book versions of themselves... similar to Chris Reeve's Superman... NO darn rubber armor!!!
                      Last edited by darklord1967; Jul 6, '12, 6:24 PM.

Comment

• megojim
                        Permanent Member
                        • Oct 13, 2001

impressive! thanks for sharing!
                        My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• darklord1967
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 27, 2008

Pleasure's mine, good buddy!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                            OH JES!!
                            • Jul 21, 2005

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Totally Amazing!!!!

Comment

• boss
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 18, 2003

all fantastic. You've really done an outstanding job.

good to see you around again, too.
                              Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• torgospizza
                                Theocrat of Pan Tang
                                • Aug 19, 2010

This is one of the best threads I've read. I can't believe what a phenomenal job you've done on these costumes--just superb--and I'm guessing the kids are having a blast with it. Looks like a lot of fun! If I lived closer, I'd definitely check out the play.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎