X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

Upgrading your childhood Mego figures

Most of my childhood Megos have some damage, they survived many battles.
    So now and then I see a mint example I cannot refuse, so I buy it, thinking "I can upgrade". I don't have enough cash to keep doubles, so I know I should sell my old one to help pay for the new one.

But then comes the dilemma: you get the new one, it looks great. But I can't bring myself to sell the old one. It's like getting rid of an old and dear friend.

So you wind up with having the Trek crew...twice.
    And having a whole shelf of Apes.

Any of you have the same dilemma?
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."
  • jds1911a1
    Alan Scott is the best GL
    • Aug 8, 2007

I am totaly in the same boat. I have 2 full sets of bridge crew my childhood type 2 body set and the diamond select release (it was 3 sets but I sold my "upgraded set" of vintage type 1's off as soon as the diamonds came out I just couldn't justify 3 sets) and I have 2 bridges my childhood one (with all it's flaws) and a nice one I bought as an adult.
    I just can't release that old friend expecailly since they survive the hard reality of childhood play and yard sales whether by being lost for years in the attic (the trek crew) or unwaverying love (like my joes) I won't let them go now

Comment

• Trappy Trek Freak
      House of a thousand Megos
      • Aug 10, 2009

I cherish the ones from childhood and I have a ton of Mego Trek sets also tons and tons of custom crewmen so I can't ever have enough Mego Trek figures. If anyone wants to sell Mego Trek bodies, uniforms, ect I am always looking for extra crewmen. Check out my stuff on flickr
      Flickr: Trappy74's Photostream

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

I didn't buy the whole EMCE crew, just one token Kirk.
        Otherwise, I'd have three crews!
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

I wish I had that problem. I don't have any of my childhood AJs or Lainie.
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• VintageMike
            Permanent Member
            • Dec 16, 2004

The ideal solution if possible is upgrade your old one (with parts from the new "minty" one) and sell the remains of the new one. This way you've restored you've made the figure you really care about (childhood figure) look better and can reclaim $ of the new one once ypu've gotten what you need out of it.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

I'll never sell whatever childhood Megos I've managed to hold on to at this point, just for sentimental reasons. I've upgraded some of them, but I still hang on to my childhood ones. Even the ones that are beat up, or I only have the head left (which is true in a couple cases), they aren't worth displaying, but I can't sell them, so I just keep them safely tucked away in a box.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                To Fear is Not Logical...
                • Feb 17, 2008

My childhood Megos were "lost" in storage for so many years, that when I discovered them again, it was like seeing old friends from the past return. Every scratch and fray on them is a symbol of my childhood life that I would feel like I was changing or giving away my memories. All of my originals are probably not worth much, but to me they are gold.

I don't go for minty very much, usually I by repros or beaters that I clean up for my kids to use. My son is the keeper and one who plays with the newly aquired stuff.
                It's all good!

Comment

• rche
                  channeling Bob Wills
                  • Mar 26, 2008

I have the same issue with vintage Star Wars. I have my childhood played with set and then a minty loose display set. I actually started in on the minty set not to upgrade, but to keep my childhood toys out of the light and danger zone of a display shelf. I have been going back and forth with myself for years about selling the minty set. I don't really need it and I would MUCH rather have my tattered C-3P0 with the broken fingers than the clean shiny one.

Comment

• tllgn
                    Persistent Member
                    • Feb 6, 2010

I still have all my classic megos,and even though they are beat to hell,i would never sell them,they wouldnt
                    be worth anything except for parts ,but to me ,like what was said before ,their my old friends ,and they still
                    are left the way when i last played with them so long ago with their miss-matched clothes ,repair jobs,and
                    paint loss,i still have all my apes,star trek,superheros,dinah-mite,action jackson,waltons,oz,american west,etc
                    and their non mego friends on mego bodies-action ape,rookies,swat,emergency,my shazam is still
                    wearing his mr rock pants a thor vest,and bad bad johns shoes,i lost mr rock in a war back then,since then
                    as i still collected the later figures were never really played with,so all my copies are my upgraded in a way.
                    but i still buy a few things i never had ,and buy some cleaner copies ,

Comment

• Neutron X
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 22, 2007

To me my childhood survivors are my favorite and most valuable parts of my collecion. They have more meaning for me and are displayed. My Megos didn't make it, I would love to have my 1st. Superman, Riddller and AHI Mummy to display. Old megos do frame or shadowbox well if you have any childhood art to put in the background think how cool that would look.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 15, 2012

I'm mixed on this topic. I was fortunate to have kept the majority of my childhood toys. There are some that are so bad that I did replace them over the years. Like Evel Knievel for instance...mine didn't have a wire left unbroken. The cycle was totally shot. I'm on the hunt for a couple items to "restore" my own collection. My Gabriel Lone Ranger has all the original equipment, but his body is loose. I'd love to find a better body for him. Same with my 12" Han Solo. He needs some better clothes and boots. As I get older, I am getting really close to parting with the parts of the collection that I have little emotional attachment to. You'll be seeing a lot of stuff posted here or on ebay for sale. Mego Dukes of Hazzard (small ones), Mattel Flash Gordon, Battlestar Gallactica, SMDM, handheld electronics, early 80's GI Joe, and possibly some Star Wars stuff I'm not attached to.

Comment

• LadyZod
                          Superman's Gal Pal
                          • Jan 27, 2007

Toys I'm attached to stay with me regardless.

I still have my beat up Decker, though I have a minty one as well now. The minty one is nice, but my old beat up Decker... he's my buddy. He's not going anywhere. He doesn't live on the Trek shelf. He lives on my childhood toys shelf.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                          Check out my art:
                          Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                          Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

My wife has made a disturbing assessment of my lifestyle. I seem to have two of everything. That certainly applies to Megos and then stretches into all other areas. I have two dogs, two vehicles, even two properties (house and condo). So her question is pretty simple... Where is the "other woman"? ....... I gave her the best answer I could think of... "If the time comes 'we' need one, you'll have to pick her." God help me.

Comment

• Neutron X
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 22, 2007

Originally posted by MIB41
                              My wife has made a disturbing assessment of my lifestyle. I seem to have two of everything. That certainly applies to Megos and then stretches into all other areas. I have two dogs, two vehicles, even two properties (house and condo). So her question is pretty simple... Where is the "other woman"? ....... I gave her the best answer I could think of... "If the time comes 'we' need one, you'll have to pick her." God help me.
                              Whew that was a close one!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎