X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Wreck it Ralph

Features some familiar video game characters, including Q-Bert, M Bison and Zangief, Bowser, PAC-man ghost,

Trailer for Wreck-It Ralph starring John C. Reilly, Jack McBrayer and Jane Lynch. The bad-guy character in a classic game who longs to be a hero. Subscribe h...

Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 25, '12, 11:30 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

Maybe I was just never into video games enough to be excited about this movie. It seems like another attempt by Disney to cash in on "Toy Story", but the twist on the concept seems a little flawed to me.

Toys ONLY come to life in a child's imagination - so the concept of toys 'coming to life' is automatically magical, and the connection everyone has with toys is more emotionally accessible.

There doesn't seem to be that emotional core here. Video games aren't "alive" the same way toys are - they're already moving around regardless of what we do. Ironically, because video game characters are already moving they're less life-like and I think we care less about them.

I get how this might work from a marketing angle, but not a creative one. I guess there's some funny voice actors in there, and one of the writers wrote "Cedar Rapids" which I thought was very funny, and hit all the emotional notes it was going for. The director has worked on some very funny things too (The Simpsons, Futurama, The Critic), so it might be funny at least.

Again, maybe I'm just not as excited about this because I'm not a huge video game guy. The only console I ever owned was an Intellivision.

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Brazoo
      Again, maybe I'm just not as excited about this because I'm not a huge video game guy. The only console I ever owned was an Intellivision.
      So... Tron Legacy?

I think it's a little more "Toon Town" with the Roger Rabbit conceit of all the Video Game lands being connected, with a Change Your Fate/Find Your Destiny adventure tossed in (a common enough universal theme. Brave covered that ground too in a different way... or Despicable Me?).

When I first saw the trailer for Finding Nemo, I was of the "What is this? I have no interest in fish." Turned out to be my favourite Pixar film.

Just from what I've seen among my friends who are parents, this is probably in the category of a film that they don't mind seeing with their kids, since it seems to cross generational lines and contains in-jokes for grown ups.
      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, I'll see it. It looks fun, and it will be neat to see old video game characters, and I'm only a casual gamer at best. I think my kids will like it.

I thought the same thing about Nemo, but then remembered I had thought the same thing about The Lion King 10 years before. I like them both.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Brazoo
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by samurainoir
          So... Tron Legacy?

I think it's a little more "Toon Town" with the Roger Rabbit conceit of all the Video Game lands being connected, with a Change Your Fate/Find Your Destiny adventure tossed in (a common enough universal theme. Brave covered that ground too in a different way... or Despicable Me?).

When I first saw the trailer for Finding Nemo, I was of the "What is this? I have no interest in fish." Turned out to be my favourite Pixar film.
          Yeah, I agree with you totally. I think all big animated movies are going to have some similarity in terms of universal themes, but in this one I don't think the concept merges with a theme people will connect with, there's no "Disney magic" here.

Wreck-it Ralph is sick of doing the same thing every day and not being in control of his destiny - I can see how that relates to video games, and I can see how people can relate to that theme, but I don't see how people are going to really care about the movie. "Bee Movie" had a similar concept/theme - and zero magic too.

You can take out the video game concept and the animation, and it's the same idea as a dozen disposable live-action comedies that come out every year. You can't take the toys out of "Toy Story" and get the same thing. Yeah, "Finding Nemo" is a story that's been done with different types of characters and settings, but there's something so instantly powerful in the metaphor of super-tiny (and slightly handicapped) Nemo in the gigantic ocean - it has "magic".

Originally posted by samurainoir
          Just from what I've seen among my friends who are parents, this is probably in the category of a film that they don't mind seeing with their kids, since it seems to cross generational lines and contains in-jokes for grown ups.
          Yeah, marketing-wise I think this movie makes total sense. I'm a little bummed out about movies that make sense marketing-wise. I'm just missing movies with that magical spark.

I saw "Super 8" last night, which desperately tried for classic Spielberg magic, and thought it missed by a mile, so maybe that's what brought this kvetchy mood on.

Comment

• boss
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 18, 2003

My boys dug this trailer when they saw it a couple of weeks ago. They think Bowser's the star.
            Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Brazoo
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 14, 2009

I admit - it's likely I'm out of touch. Kids might genuinely love this movie.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Go see "Brave". You'll find the Disney magic there in abundance. And that is definitely not a "marketing" movie, as the whole princess thing is a turn off to boys, although it and Tangled have managed to have cross gender appeal.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  Go see "Brave". You'll find the Disney magic there in abundance. And that is definitely not a "marketing" movie, as the whole princess thing is a turn off to boys, although it and Tangled have managed to have cross gender appeal.

Chris
                  Thanks man - that's awesome! My wife really wants to go too, so I'll probably check it out soon. Pixar movies are usually great, and pull off what I'm talking about most of the time. I keep fearing that Disney's going to start slowly controlling more of Pixar's process though.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

You can play the game online, for those that want to. Wreck-It Ralph Online Game

Although the game is actually Fix-It Felix.

Comment

• Goblin19
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 2, 2002

I think it's a very clever twist on a standard premise. It's all about what they do with the movie anyways, not the concept. If the characters and story are good, any concept can work.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                        The DarkSide Customizer
                        • Apr 16, 2005

I think this Cartoon Looks Fantastic, being someone who played all those game ..
                        I'll be dragging my Kids to it.

I don't care much for Cartoon Movies these days. Everything just seems to bland, and repeated.
                        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Seeing this opening day with my son and some of his friends for his birthday. Looking forward to it. It looks like a really clever and well-made movie.

chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• boynightwing
                            That Carl Guy
                            • Apr 24, 2002

Originally posted by Brazoo
                            I admit - it's likely I'm out of touch. Kids might genuinely love this movie.
                            Based on the presales for tickets at my theater, it's going to be a crazy hit. I've had so many people asking me about. How soon to come to get good seats, is it sold out yet, how many screens are we playing it on? etc.

I've been playing video games since the C64 was new. I'm right there with these kids wanting to see it.

Comment

• Brazoo
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by boynightwing
                              Based on the presales for tickets at my theater, it's going to be a crazy hit. I've had so many people asking me about. How soon to come to get good seats, is it sold out yet, how many screens are we playing it on? etc.

I've been playing video games since the C64 was new. I'm right there with these kids wanting to see it.
                              Hey Carl,

I hear what you're saying, but I never doubted that there was a good chance this movie would sell lots of tickets.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎