Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Delusional B
    Museum Super Collector
    • Nov 14, 2007

I collected these, as well. They were close enough to Mego figures for me to overlook the problems. Now, like many, I have a bunch stored away in boxes somewhere. I kind of doubt that these will become collectible. Like others have said, they were never much of a "kid line" that lots of kids bought to play with. I could be wrong, though.

The thing is, with Famous Covers and most other toy lines over the past 15 years or so, they don't stick around on shelves long enough to really gain mass appeal with kids. These days, toy lines are all about "waves." If you miss a wave, you are kind of out of luck if the wave had a character you were interested in. When we were kids back in the seventies, the exact same toy shipped again and again and again to the stores. A kid buying a Mego Batman in 1974 bought essentially the same figure as a kid in 1979 buying a Mego Batman. This kind of mass saturation of the same toy over many years and many, many kids produced a kind of shared culture experience among countless kids that grew up having memories of the exact same toy. These days, very few figures are released and re-released over long-ish periods of time. Things like the Batman Animated series figures might be an exception to this as they seemed to keep the line alive for many years and did tend to release the same figures over and over...most often as repaints.

I think any toy lines that end up being collectible to "today's" kids are going to be lines that they REALLY play with and have fond memories of when they grow up. These toys will most likely not be the ones that we adult collectors tend to go deep with. I have a feeling that the early Power Ranger toys will end up being highly collectible (if they aren't already) since they were a line that most adult collectors turned their noses up at and kids bought them in droves and played and played and played with them. Also, I'm betting that Max Steel will be sought after in about 10 years or so. Kids played with them but it wasn't something adult collectors were buying and keeping MIB. In many ways, it was like the SMDM line of the 70's with bionics and cool vehicles. There was even a guy with a mask that came off exposing him as a robot!

BTW - my favorite FC are Iron Man, Captain America (despite the face), Spidey (it's got Parker underneath, unheard of!), and Hulk.
    Yesterville Toy Room

Comment

• BlackKnight
      The DarkSide Customizer
      • Apr 16, 2005

Would the line seriously have lasted that long if Kids were not buying them ? In my expirence with collectiong toys, unless kids do buy, or parents buy for thier kids ... lines are quickly phased out & they come to an end after a few waves. Famous Covers Lasted way too long for that.

Case in point, the Signature Series.
      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

I think a reasonably good indicator of whether or not a toy was bought by/for kids is how many of said toy show up in yard sales, flea markets, and thrift stores after a few years. So far, I have not found a single FC or DC 9" at a yard sale or flea market. I have found maybe one or two FCs at the thrift stores, but they were still boxed and look to have been donated by Target after they went clearance and didn't sell.

Weren't the last real FCs the wrestlers? Before that there was the X-men animated stuff, and those were duds around here.

Comment

• Delusional B
          Museum Super Collector
          • Nov 14, 2007

Originally posted by BlackKnight
          Would the line seriously have lasted that long if Kids were not buying them ? In my expirence with collectiong toys, unless kids do buy, or parents buy for thier kids ... lines are quickly phased out & they come to an end after a few waves. Famous Covers Lasted way too long for that.

Case in point, the Signature Series.

Yeah, I guess the line did last for awhile. The point I was trying to make, though, is that each wave was only on shelves for a short time. If a kid missed the Spiderman wave, he was kind of out of luck a year or two down the line. It's not like Spiderman, Hulk, etc. were replenished at stores consistently throughout the life of the FC line. I guess the equivalent scenario during Mego's heyday would be along the lines of Superman, Batman, and Aquaman only being released in the first wave. All subsequent waves over the next several years would not include these three figures and kids would only have had that one chance at the beginning of the line to pick them up.

So, even if some kids were able to get their hands on a figure like the FC Spiderman, the majority were probably sold to collectors ( I certainly never saw droves of these at a time...maybe 3 copies of each character, at most). So, since the line probably didn't hit much of a mass saturation point with kids, they will most likely not be in the market for these in a few years as they reach adulthood.

I dunno. Just my 2 cents.
          Yesterville Toy Room

Comment

• BlackKnight
            The DarkSide Customizer
            • Apr 16, 2005

^^^ That makes sence. I was just kinda confused about the matter, given the shelf life of the Toy's that Kids don't buy & parents don't buy for thier kids. They are seriously off the shelves faster than the speed of light. & New waves are not introduced either.
            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• spiderrogue
              new mego-er
              • Feb 3, 2008

i remember when the FC stuff came out at my comic shop..the first wave was way overpriced..like 20 bucks and up for them...green goblin, storm, spidey and wolvie....and man, they were ugly...who knew that i would be using them to custom...lol...
              unfortunately, they are getting harder and harder to find these days..(on ebay or whatever)....so i have to step up and use some other types(the newly cancelled sign. series and the dc9 stuff)..both which are more superior to the old FC ones....but still hard to find....i think that most of the FC stuff was sold to grown ups(collectors)...mostly since that is all that you see selling them on ebay...."used for display by me, not played with..etc"..in the auctions all the time....

Comment

• megowgsh
                Customego HoF Curator
                • Nov 19, 2003

Carnage and Red Skull were the best. Too bad they were the last of the line.
                Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Well, I understand the theory but I think the same rules apply. There are countless figures and toy lines that no kid lined up for in decades past, yet those are now desired. I think any superhero line has the potential to be collectable simply because of it's genre. Plus there will always be pics and maybe it will strike a note with future generations. That's where these forgotten toy lines often find their market. It could be interesting. Maybe we should preserve this thread!! We can all revisit it 20 years from now.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

Well, they were definitely hit and miss. I really like Iron Man, and since I'm still hunting for an affordable Mego Iron Man, this one remains the favorite. Same for Hawkeye, Sabretooth, Storm, Magneto. I loathe the face sculpts on Rogue and Psylocke, jeez, they sure are ugly and not at all like their comic counterparts.
                    I just need the two-packs, and then I have all of them. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Maybe I'm not that picky, but they are fine by me. What can I say? I just appreciate the effort to bring back the concept that Mego started. Warts and all...
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• megojim
                      Permanent Member
                      • Oct 13, 2001

I liked the Green Goblin alot . . . . Hulk was also done well.
                      Iron Man while a little bulky and in-rticulate is always awinner.
                      My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
                        Time to feed the cat
                        • Dec 30, 2007

I think they did an excellant job on Sabertooth,he's my fav.Captain America even though he has good gloves,his star is way to big and his mouth,its like he's trying to pass gas or something,kinda wierd looking I always thought.

Comment

• spaceace35
                          Career Member
                          • Feb 1, 2008

i picked up magneto and black widow for $5 each at the boston comic show
                          Rockin Rebels

Comment

• megocrazy
                            Museum Trouble Maker
                            • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by spaceace35
                            i picked up magneto and black widow for $5 each at the boston comic show
                            Which Boston show?? Were there any Mego items there?? Always like to keep track of what's showing up at the shows to see if it's worth going. I may actually go to the next Dedham show just to see what's there.
                            It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• spaceace35
                              Career Member
                              • Feb 1, 2008

Originally posted by megocrazy
                              Which Boston show?? Were there any Mego items there?? Always like to keep track of what's showing up at the shows to see if it's worth going. I may actually go to the next Dedham show just to see what's there.
                              mostly comics and some action figures.nothing much in the way of megos
                              ken kelly was there thats why i went.no mego museum cards either

trying to decide between the dedham show and the north attleboro show.sucks they are on the same day
                              we must be near each other i'm in franklin
                              Rockin Rebels

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎