• Show
Clear All
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

Mego Meet musings

Wins

Friends old & new
    Doc Mego's presentation- err, what presentation?
    The growing presence of the next generation

Losses

Missing friends
    Hoss's

This was a weird year for me. As others have mentioned I had to disappear for a few hours Friday to attend my daughter's graduation. The other festivities surrounding that are later this month, which luckily allowed me to return. It was nice to see everyone again, or for the first time, and I enjoyed the great conversation and great deals. Doc's revelations were worth the wait, and it was really satisfying to see the next generation of Mego fans making their presence known in the customs contest.

The absence of DaveMc, John, the Earth2 clan, Jason, DaveL, Art, Rose, Amy & Nate, etc did take a little of the shine off. The Sunday dinner at Hoss's was everything I hoped it wouldn't be and less. We've had such good Thursday experiences over the years that it's a real shame our last go-round wasn't better. I made the registration for 60, and we got tables for 80 and enough waitresses for 20. Orders were botched, food was overcooked, and everything took FOREVER. If they'd just have been mean, they could have matched Undo's twit for tat.

"Funniest line" award goes to Derek Richardson. In the middle of the customs auction I noticed Derek and Ron at the back of the room laughing hysterically. Apparently Derek shared with Ron that, "Those are the three ugliest spokesmodels I've ever seen." He did clarify that I was the least ugly, which is something no one can ever take from me.

Many thanks are in order: Thanks to Chris Johnson for carrying the Mego Suite torch. Doc Mego generously donated to the customs contest, as did Derek Richardson. Bryan 'Boss' Bossart put together a great presentation on the sometimes tragic process of licensing. Several of you assisted with set-up, tear-down, and clean-up. Special thanks to Random Axe and Megospidey for managing the customs contest; Mr. Pierce double-dipped with Paul Clare and kept the Mego races alive too. Welcome to new dealers Corey and Chris. Thanks to the Castaway guys, ScottA, and Derek for the loaner items for the ReMego display. A huge thanks to all who donated items and/or bid in the auction. A galactic thanks to Chris Noon for navigating the logistical nightmare that is Kruger St. and steering the auction to new heights.

A personal note of gratitude to Jim Hampton. I have remarked to Jim more than once that my favorite custom is the LED stealth Iron Man that he made. I'll be damned if he didn't walk up to me in the Mego Suite and present it to me. I was blown away by the gesture as much as I was when I first saw the figure. As Chuck would say, "Thanks Jimmie." Means a lot.

Steve
    Last edited by EMCE Hammer; Jun 13, '12, 6:51 AM.
  • Toy Talk
    Old and out of touch
    • Aug 7, 2009

Every year I meet more museum members. This was my 3rd year attending and each year gets better. I wish I could have caught Doc's presentation (if there were a presentation).

Sadly I was there when he was giving the presentation but I believe Chad and I were talking at the time. Maybe next year I will make it there in time for the other festivities. It was good seeing you again Steve. Thanks for doing all that you do to keep this museum chugging along.
    "Procrastination is the art of planning for tomorrow."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I'm sorry I missed out again this year. I keep saying "next year"...but this year Disney called. I just couldn't drive five more hours after hauling 30 plus the previous week!!!

But it's nice to be missed. I think we need another Cinci gathering!!!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Random Axe
        The Voice of Reason
        • Apr 16, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        I think we need another Cinci gathering!!!

Chris

How about July? We can do the same place here or maybe another one, though this one is free and fairly equidistant to many. I had a freakin blast the last one, so let's do it again. Anyone interested in this shoot me a PM so I can guage interest and plan accordingly.
        I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Tothiro
          Kitten Mittens
          • Aug 28, 2008

See... This is what I was missing in here ^^^ =D

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

i miss your scent.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
              Moderation Engineer
              • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
              i miss your scent.
              B.O. and Mountain Drops with a hint of Molson? I miss your 'I just drove 19 hrs with Ed Leung and Mr. Rovernaut' aura. 362 days and counting..........

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                Moderation Engineer
                • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Tothiro
                See... This is what I was missing in here ^^^ =D
                There was some speculation that a Robert Martin was coming. Personally, I was anxious to see what he would bring, as were others. 2013 perhaps?

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
                  70's Era Pimp
                  • Sep 7, 2011

Originally posted by Random Axe
                  How about July? We can do the same place here or maybe another one, though this one is free and fairly equidistant to many. I had a freakin blast the last one, so let's do it again. Anyone interested in this shoot me a PM so I can guage interest and plan accordingly.
                  I would love to attend, I just have my summer pretty locked up with other commitments. How about September? If not, I totally understand....just letting you know my availability.

Comment

• megojim
                    Permanent Member
                    • Oct 13, 2001

Steve, it was my pleasure sir . . . . I appreciate all you do for the group!
                    My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• ScottA
                      Original Member
                      • Jun 25, 2001

Always a pleasure sir. I really can't believe how bad Hoss's turned out to be. They started out with such promise.
                      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• boss
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 18, 2003

You had me at hello.
                        Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I don't think Hoss can handle a large group so well. Ed and I ate there on Friday and it was fine.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                            I don't think Hoss can handle a large group so well. Ed and I ate there on Friday and it was fine.
                            Ironically, according to the waitress we were the fourth party over fifty they had Saturday.

Comment

• noelani72
                              27inaleon
                              • Jun 25, 2002

Hoss did me pretty good this year - best they ever did if I am completely honest. Usually it is a so/so meal with nice staff....so it's hard to complain.
                              This year, I did the burger on Thursday and Ribeye on Saturday.
                              The ribeye was the best steak I'd ever had from them..but certainly not the best I've ever had elsewhere.
                              I was unaware of all the problems at y'alls table.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎