Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VintageMike
    Permanent Member
    • Dec 16, 2004

Only a "paltry" 410 miles each way for me. Longest drive I take all year but also the most worth the driving by far.
    Last edited by VintageMike; Jun 12, '12, 6:15 PM.

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2011

Originally posted by ScottA
      What he said. I drove a total of 1590 miles. Worth every mile.

From Orlando, Florida that would be almost $500 alone just in gas up and back in my 4 - runner.

Plus meals and lodging, could be another $350 or so.

That is alot of Mego's I could buy for $850

Maybe flying would be less.

Need to get some Mego shows in Florida sometime.

Orlando, Florida would be perfect. Mega tourist desination
      Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
      :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
      I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.

Comment

• Megospidey
        Museum Webslinger
        • Jul 26, 2006

Moving the meet has been discussed by people on this board the whole time I have been a member (2006).

Moving the meet is not going to happen.

Would I like for it to be in Arkansas? Or Texas? Or Lousiana? Or somewhere else closer to me? Absolutely.

But the reality is that it's not so I have a choice to make: either I save up and come to MegoMeet in Wheeling, WV...or I don't.

Gas only cost me $175 for my Honda Civic. Meals ran me about $100.

My hotels cost me $325 for 3 nights (which I had paid for before I even came).

The Megomeet experience of seeing all those Megos and other goodies and getting to see old friends....can't put a price tag on any of that.

The bottom line is this...we find the money to do the things we want to do in life.

If you want to come to Megomeet, you will put back a little each month and save and come. It can be done. 80+ people prove it.

Comment

• RickD
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 31, 2011

And to chime in..you have to establish some good relationships on here with the great people here, before you can expect any good deals to happen otherwise you might as well sit at home and buy off eBay.

Comment

• noelani72
            27inaleon
            • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by Megospidey
            Moving the meet has been discussed by people on this board the whole time I have been a member (2006).

Would I like for it to be in Arkansas? Or Texas? Or Lousiana? Or somewhere else closer to me? Absolutely.

But the reality is that it's not so I have a choice to make: either I save up and come to MegoMeet in Wheeling, WV...or I don't.

The Megomeet experience of seeing all those Megos and other goodies and getting to see old friends....can't put a price tag on any of that.

The bottom line is this...we find the money to do the things we want to do in life.

If you want to come to Megomeet, you will put back a little each month and save and come. It can be done. 80+ people prove it.
            Ditto what Derek said.
            I drove just under 1000 miles roundtrip btw.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
              Permanent Member
              • Mar 7, 2011

Telling my brother, Wifee and Little girl about it now... too early to be Giddy with ANTICIPATION???!!! LOL

Comment

• galaxyexplorer42
                Monsters,Creatures,Aliens
                • Mar 3, 2010

My girlfriend & I drove in from Boulder Colorado. On the way there, we stopped to visit my family in Louisville for several days & made a vacation out of it. On the way back, we drove straight through, Wheeling to Boulder! But it seemed to go pretty quick; probably cause I was still buzzing from being at MegoMeet! At the suite Friday night, MegomaniacMark, batJimi & I were talking to Doc Mego & ChrimsonGhost about RA Superheroes, & somehow the trip to Wheeling came up. When I told him how far I'd come, he said, "Why?" to which I responded, "Cause it's MegoMeet, man!" This year was my second time. I can't wait for next year! Oh- don't believe what MegoCrazy said. That's BS. We didn't get all 4 Alter Egos... We only got 3....
                Last edited by galaxyexplorer42; Jun 12, '12, 6:30 PM.
                Galaxy Explorer

Comment

• Chris DVM
                  Veterinarian Member
                  • Jun 18, 2001

Hey,
                  1360 miles round trip. 8th year I have made the drive.
                  Chris DVM
                  "The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
                    Career Member
                    • Jul 25, 2010

I attended my first Mego Meet in 2011. Gas for the 2400 mile trip up and back would have cost me probably $600. So, i took a Greyhound bus (with member garagesale). Cost me $178 round trip . Left on Wednesday morning, and 20 something hours later, i was at Mego Meet. I made it happen. Unfortunately this year i couldn't swing it due to some unexpected expenses.... but you can bet i'll be doing everything i can to go next year!
                    Vintage Toy Rescue
                    1614-B N State Hwy 161
                    Grand Prairie, TX 75050
                    (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• Evel KMego
                      Museum Daredevil
                      • Apr 26, 2006

Anyone is welcomed to start another meet elsewhere. There is enough people in the Florida area, or California, or Texas to start one there as well. No one said there can only be one get together. This Meet has been established and set up by some fine organizers. If some other folks can organize a meet I'm sure the museum would back it as well.

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2011

Originally posted by Megospidey

I'm not even questioning what an awesome mego event this must be. That goes without saying. Would love to attend.

My money goes to house payments, health insurance ( $450 a month for me and the 2 kids ) a business and 2 kids, 14 & 11, plus the older wants to drive soon, and then both in college.

The little money I have left is buying Mego's, so yes sure it can be done.

The little money my wife and I do put away if for our kids and their events...baseball, soccer, lacrosse, etc.

I'm just suggesting to be fair to ALL mego folks across the land, spread it around every year. Like, Florida, California, PA , New York, Texas, Ohio, etc.

That way folks could attend every few years and choose states close to them.

Just sayin...

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 19, 2011

Originally posted by Evel KMego
                          Anyone is welcomed to start another meet elsewhere. There is enough people in the Florida area, or California, or Texas to start one there as well. No one said there can only be one get together. This Meet has been established and set up by some fine organizers. If some other folks can organize a meet I'm sure the museum would back it as well.

Evel,

Yea I here you. Point well taken. Love the Museum and everyone here.

Easier said then done. People work hard and long trying to get this event getting with all the organizers and all.

And probably most of your organizers and vendors live around the Wheeling/Pittsburgh area. So it makes sense.

Alot of volunteer hours are probably spent putting the meet on every year.

Hope to make it up sometime. Until then, if anyone ever hears of a mego / toy meet in florida...give me a shout.

Comment

• stabilio
                            Persistent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2002

Willing to give you a pass on this since this is the first Mego Meet since you signed up. But go and do a quick run through the older Mego Meet sub forums for similar discussions.

But to summarize, nobody has to do much work or lay out anything to have Mego Meet where it is. Yes there are the finer details to take care of, done by Steve this year and formerly Dave. But even they will be quick to admit, that they'd do that 10 times over having to book a venue, figure out insurance, advertise, and all the extra worries and costs that go with starting from absolute scratch and figuring out a new location in a different part of the country.

The toy and train museum provides it all. All we have to do is pay them admission and table fees.

Its quite simple, for anyone that wants to have a meet somewhere else, go and DO IT. Though thats been said a thousand times every single year. And guess what, nobody has. Because, as stated above, its a lot of work, cost and effort - work which nobody has to deal with at the current location.

It has absolutely nothing to do with "fair".

Originally posted by Cornelius POTA
                            I'm not even questioning what an awesome mego event this must be. That goes without saying. Would love to attend.

My money goes to house payments, health insurance ( $450 a month for me and the 2 kids ) a business and 2 kids, 14 & 11, plus the older wants to drive soon, and then both in college.

The little money I have left is buying Mego's, so yes sure it can be done.

The little money my wife and I do put away if for our kids and their events...baseball, soccer, lacrosse, etc.

I'm just suggesting to be fair to ALL mego folks across the land, spread it around every year. Like, Florida, California, PA , New York, Texas, Ohio, etc.

That way folks could attend every few years and choose states close to them.

Just sayin...

Comment

• batmanmc
                              mego batman collector
                              • Jun 22, 2004

very well said stabillo.

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 19, 2011

Originally posted by stabilio
                                Willing to give you a pass on this since this is the first Mego Meet since you signed up. But go and do a quick run through the older Mego Meet sub forums for similar discussions.

But to summarize, nobody has to do much work or lay out anything to have Mego Meet where it is. Yes there are the finer details to take care of, done by Steve this year and formerly Dave. But even they will be quick to admit, that they'd do that 10 times over having to book a venue, figure out insurance, advertise, and all the extra worries and costs that go with starting from absolute scratch and figuring out a new location in a different part of the country.

The toy and train museum provides it all. All we have to do is pay them admission and table fees.

Its quite simple, for anyone that wants to have a meet somewhere else, go and DO IT. Though thats been said a thousand times every single year. And guess what, nobody has. Because, as stated above, its a lot of work, cost and effort - work which nobody has to deal with at the current location.

It has absolutely nothing to do with "fair".

Point well taken. Understood.

Never knew there were other discussions about this topic.

Will read them.

Mego Museum is the next best thing to Mego Meet then I guess.

Thanks for all the great work you guys do.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎