X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Big thanks to everyone

For making my third Mego Meet in a row such a positive experience once again. It's really hard to explain to those that have never been to one how different it is compared to every other toy shows out there. Fantastic seeing so many wonderful friendly faces again as well as meeting awesome new folk too. I'm particularly grateful once more for being chauffeured to MM. I know it gets a bit hectic and stressful sometimes, but the organizers and other volunteers do a bang up job to create such a positive experience for those attending. The wheeling toy Museum is such a great place and the staff are terrifically accommodating, the venue is a huge part of what makes MM so successful and I'm glad to have a chance to wander around a bit upstairs this year.

Really wish we could have gone to dinner at Hoss' and participated in Mego Racing, but we made it safely to Buffalo despite the sleep deprivation, just in time to rendez-vous with my lovely spouse for wings and beer. Looking forward to hanging out with Cjeffreys at the flea market this morning and eating hot dogs at Ted's.

I found myself missing friends that couldn't make the meet this year that made the past two years such a warm and inviting environment for me as a MM newbie. Hoping to see del and her husband, Art B and Rose, dave mc, Johnmiic, those two Castaway knuckleheads Dave and Jason, and a few others next year.
    Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 10, '12, 6:42 AM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • VintageMike
    Permanent Member
    • Dec 16, 2004

Correction: we are ALL knuckleheads, that's what makes it so much fun! Good to see you to.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Sorry for almost killing you with the trunk door.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2011

Where is the next Mego Meet ?
        Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
        :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
        I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

I had a blast with you and Brian today, Ed. And it was very nice to meet your wife and your doggie. Thanks for treating me to lunch at Ted's, even though those onion rings were kinda weird. Hopefully we can all make it to that other flea market next month.

And I'm really hoping to make it to the Meet next year so I can meet some of you other guys too.

Comment

• AcroRay
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 17, 2005

It was great getting to hang out with you for a while, Ed!
            Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
            AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
            The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
            Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• Godzilla
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 3, 2002

It was great meeting you. The shirt and Megomeet swag are perfect!
              Mortui Vivos Docent
              The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
                70's Era Pimp
                • Sep 7, 2011

It was great meeting you Ed. You helped make this "rookie" have a fantastic first weekend!

Comment

• Megospidey
                  Museum Webslinger
                  • Jul 26, 2006

Hey - great to meet you Ed. It is always good to put a real, live person with an impersonal screen name.

Comment

• johnmiic
                    Adrift
                    • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                    Sorry for almost killing you with the trunk door.
                    Almost?!?! Dude, what'd I pay you good money for?!?!

Comment

• ScottA
                      Original Member
                      • Jun 25, 2001

Always good to see you Ed. And thanks again for the Cheetah.
                      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by johnmiic
                        Almost?!?! Dude, what'd I pay you good money for?!?!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz...foslo1_500.gif
                        What makes this even funnier when you frame it in that context... the incident occurred late at night, in a parking lot in upstate New York.

I still missed you an awful lot anyways John.
                        Everyone in the suite was saying what a shame it was that you weren't there.

Comment

• johnmiic
                          Adrift
                          • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by samurainoir
                          What makes this even funnier when you frame it in that context... the incident occurred late at night, in a parking lot in upstate New York.
                          Just like in Goodfellas. "Who has the lye?"

Originally posted by samurainoir
                          I still missed you an awful lot anyways John. Everyone in the suite was saying what a shame it was that you weren't there.
                          I didn't realize I owed that many people money. LoL. It's nice to know. Next year I guess.

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

A few more of my favourite memories this year...

Chatting with Tom, Derek, and Bill in the mego suite... It's nice to know that you can have smart/funny/insightful conversations at Mego Meet that does not necessarily centre around the geek stuff, particularly with gentlemen as well travelled and worldly as they are.

Exploring the Kruger street toy museum with Brian Lietner. In previous years I've always had that moment as they were closing where I had to just rush through (although I can't complain too much about that first year where AcroRay gave me the quick tour of his micronaut collection). It was nice to have a leisurely meander with Brian as we chatted about all the cool stuff on display.

Seeing Wilbs and his family so happy to be there, his little girl in particular, wearing a Robin costume just seemed so joyful. Terrific to see everyone else who brought their kids and/or wives along to turn it into a fun family getaway.

Traveling all this way to meet yet another Canadian who lives in the GTA (the first one I met two years ago now very kindly drives me to the meet every year). At first I thought someone was having a joke with me by walking up and going "hi, I'm from Canada!" very much interested in taking that tour of the winter garden theatre!

Being across the aisle from Corey/swank cat... Hope he returns next year, or drops us a line when he's in Toronto next.

Getting to hang out with the crew putting together the exclusive customs figure... I was actually really disappointed we ended so early since I really dig hangin' with ya'lls.

Regrets... This year I was a less focused on customs than previous years, I didn't spend anytime at the customs table (was there one?), didn't make a figure for the contest, spent all my money on vintage (mostly to Corey), and didn't have the chance to soak in the collective custom knowledge available at the meet.

Also wish I had more time to just sit back and relax and get to know a few others better, particularly newbies and other old familiar faces from previous meets, as well as recognized screen names from the boards. It's just such a overwhelming whirlwind of so much to see and do (and I know I get easily distracted) over the two day span.

And of course missing Hoss's dinner, Mego racing (one of my favourite events) and saturday night in the suite, where the camaraderie runs deep after the big day together. The upside though was being able to meet up with the wife and dog in upstate New York after missing them terribly, and do the mini Canada meet in Buffalo with Chris as we hit the flea and hot dogs at Ted's... Really looking forward to doing it again next month.
                            Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 14, '12, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                              Formerly known as Del
                              • Dec 12, 2004

Ed, you are definitely one of the faces I knew I'd miss when we found out we couldn't go to this Meet. Some of you know this from Facebook postings, but Nate and I are in the process of buying a house, and it is sucking down more of our money every time we turn around. We're also spending almost every spare moment packing and going through some things we plan to sell or give away.
                              That reminds me - was there a children's category in the Kitbash Contest this year? I didn't find the winners' thread yet.
                              Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                              https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                              http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎