Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 5257626772757677

Thread: Welcome to the Mego Museum forums!

Hi everyone!

I'm Dave, 48 yrs old, and I recently got back into Mego after buying a few from Target ($9.99 to $12.99 regular price, and $5.41 for damaged boxed figures). I kind of wish the NuMego Fonz had posable thumbs and the action feature the old one did, but I could always buy a one (although, without clothes) cheap through eBay and put the new clothes on the old figure (while cutting the jacket in the back)...the beauty of Mego, being able to swap out parts and clothing and still have a good figure in the end!

My first Mego was a Spider-man 8" that came packaged with the Spider-car. My younger brother had Batman and the Batcopter, but I liked Spider-man more! My problem with the Spider-car was that it didn't look like the one in the 70's comics (but I just shrugged it off anyway)! I was also a fan of Micronauts (at $1 to $1.25 a figure, I was able to get a lot of them by simply picking up loose change on the playground floor at school!). For some reason, a lot of those chrome heads look like Lyle Waggoner, but I digress!

When some store at Yonge Street (Silver Snail?), in Toronto, Canada found boxes of old Mego Star Trek figures, I think I spent about $125 Canadian to get Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scottie, Uhura, and a Klingon and brought it back to the U.S., where some rich kid (who now works as a licensing lawyer for a well known toy company...I'll leave it at that because I might get sued if I reveal his identity!) stole them from me while I went to the hospital for food poison! I think I swore off Mego for many years because of him!

Then I moved from Brooklyn to Las Vegas and found a 12" Mego Hulk (missing white shirt) for $8 at a Thrift store and that was my only Mego I had for many years until now! I moved back to Brooklyn to take care of my elderly parents with wife and 2 kids in tow, and here I am!

I have to admit, the NuMego versions of figures of the past don't have the same "wow" factor, but they still have a charm to them. I managed to get Kirk, Spock. Uhura, Sulu, and Chekov for like $9.99 to $12.99 a piece, but there are things on the old figures that were better (like Kirk's head sculpt)! I do get a kick out of "post football to the nose" Marcia Brady, and Andre the Giant with tiny chair.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Welcome! Lots to enjoy here in the Mego format, old and new. 12" Hulk is a terrific sculpt.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.