X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SWDAVE
    • May 31, 2017

Hello Everyone!

Long time lurker, first time post! I have been a Mego admirer and collector since I was about 4 in 1976. I have been trying over the years to reacquire some of my original Megos and did happen to find my original Shazam, who is in pieces and will need some attention. I also was able to locate my Punch Attack Robin, Hutch, and Spider-Man. I was able to also find my original Superman suit, but have not found his body yet. The hunt continues!

About a year ago I was able to score some LJN SWAT figures from eBay and that got me back into Mego mode.

One story from my past that I need to share relates to my holy grail of Mego figures. It had to be in 1978 during the Incredible Hulk TV craze. I desperately wanted my own Hulk figure! I vividly remember going up to the Reynolds Road Kiddie City in Toledo, Ohio. My parents bought me my first Hulk figure there and on the car ride home I opened him up. As I quickly removed him from the card, his arm fell off. I was not happy about it and told my parents what happened. We were not more than a block away from the store and my mother announced "what a piece of junk!" and we went back to the store. I thought I would be able to replace my broken Hulk with a new one, but my mother would have none of it. We waked our of the store without a replacement. I remember being devastated. I will never forget that day.

Flash forward 40 or so years later .... and I finally got my Hulk off eBay. He is perfect. I probably paid too much for him, but he looks like he was just removed from the card. I cannot wait to take it over to show my mother what I got.

Anyways, very happy to be here!!!

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

Welcome. Your story was all the more charming reading it in the voice of Ron Swanson.

Comment

• Ivaniski
        Persistent Member
        • Jun 24, 2007

Welcome.....to the Museum. Great story of searching for your favorite Megos. This place is like home to all Mego lovers.

Comment

• SWDAVE
          • May 31, 2017

Thanks guys!!

Comment

• toothaction
            Career Member
            • Jul 15, 2017

Greetings, oldtimers! I'm no stranger to the Museum and these lovely threads, I've googled my way through them for years, but I just finally got around to actually joining up proper a few days ago. I am the exact right age, born in '72, for Mego to have literally been a part of my life for the whole of it. My earliest favorite toys, beyond a mountain of Lego bricks and a tub of Bristle Blocks, were the cloth-clad wonders that brought us all together here. Like most of you, I'm imagining, I spent uncountable hours playing with Batman and his friends, arranging chance meetings between Captain Kirk and Cornelius, and transporting - with a gear-assisted spin - any number of Marvel heroes and ST denizens alike from the bridge of the Enterprise to the wilds of my front porch. Good times!

I never turned my back on these special friend from my youth, and I've remained a Card Carrying Collector for all of my days, but I've spent the better part of the last two decades focusing on all of the weird Japanese vinyl - that I didn't even know existed when I was a tot... but very probably would have brained my flesh-and-blood playmates for! - based on all of those gloriously dubbed AIP imports - Ultraman, Johnny Sokko, a world of Toho giants - and many other latex-suited wonders that never made it to the UHF bands in the CONUS. The first 'bootleg' I encountered, as a matter of fact, was the Mego Iron Man that my friend Brian's dad 'ruined' for us by painting it silver and red... our first 'real' Ultraman toy!

Makes sense, I guess, that it took a line of sofubi toys that were a sort-of tribute to the Megos of old to rekindle my urge to have a have a bunch of the real deals around the house again, and discovering BBP's Doctor Who and Twilight Zone dollies has been a rather spectacular buffer to my potentially plunging head-long into the vintage world of toys I actually owned once, long ago.

Anyway, thanks for having me! I look forward to getting to know some of you, sharing some of my pictures and idiotic blather, and learning as much as I can about the huge world of old things that this place celebrates.

OH, and here's a picture of me and some old friends:

Circa '75!

EDIT: Added a link. Pardon!
            Last edited by toothaction; Jul 20, '17, 11:49 PM.
            >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Iron Mego
              Wake Up Heavy
              • Jan 31, 2010

Welcome, Dave!
              Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Mr Mego
                Love to play with Megos
                • Oct 19, 2003

Welcome to the Mego Museum Dave and toothaction! We have very nice members on this forum.
                Wanted to buy pair original shoes for vintage WOZ Wizard

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list in here.

Comment

• toothaction
                  Career Member
                  • Jul 15, 2017

Thanks, gents! I was starting to worry that no one would see my silly story!
                  >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Ivaniski
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jun 24, 2007

Welcome home....The Museum is a home away from.

Comment

• William Vafai
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Oct 14, 2017

Hi. I'm William Vafai. It's great to have a chance to show everyone the Star Wars figures I made. I'm looking forward to see other custom figures from all of you.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Welcome William! We love customs--the more, the better. There's a lot of creativity here and sharing ideas leads to better figures.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• William Vafai
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Oct 14, 2017

My name is William Vafai. I first heard about the museum about seven years ago. I was a Mego kid back in 1973. My first figure was a T1 Robin. Then I got T1 removable cowl Batman, Superman and Aquaman. Later it was Spider man and the Black falcon. I never had a chance to get all the ones I wanted. I didn't have them very long cause I played with them so much, that they fell apart. Years later I found a T2 Superman for sale at a comic book store. I paid about $20.00. The Superman was missing his boots and the decals. Someone told me about Dr.Mego. I got the red hero boots and the sticker. I was hooked. I bought all the figures I never had. Thanks to Dr.Mego and Ebay, I make custom Mego Star Wars figures.

Comment

• lovelikewinter
                            • Nov 13, 2017

Hi I'm Jon.

I just bought my first Mego, a type 2 Superman. He should be here tomorrow or Saturday. I never grew up with Mego, but I am a big Superman fan so I wanted one. I saw the Figures Toy Company repro, but I wanted to go vintage.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Welcome Jon! Good choice--vintage Mego is awesome. And addictive--you may find yourself wanting more. Also, FTC has many Superman Family figures, if you want some diversity.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• lovelikewinter
                                • Nov 13, 2017

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                                Welcome Jon! Good choice--vintage Mego is awesome. And addictive--you may find yourself wanting more. Also, FTC has many Superman Family figures, if you want some diversity.
                                He just came and has a really nice cape, which I am excited about. I paid $25, which I'm ok with because of the cape. No emblem but I ordered one off of ebay that uses vinyl instead of the original paper.

I did see a FTC Superman, but to be honest it felt cheap and flimsy. The real Mego was much more solid.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎