Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else a member of the G.I. Joe Collectors' Club?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Action Martin
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by jds1911a1
    They have a small staff and usualy are slow to respond
    I figured that out pretty quick.

The advantage to officer membership is if you plan to buy club exclusive stuff you get "price breaks" as a rule the cost of membership is a wash versus the non member price for a con package attending or NON.
    I wouldn't call it a wash but it's close.

The newsletter is kind of clever but I would honestly rather not get the master collector paper and have a reduced membership fee.
    Same here. Very little news and the classifieds seem to be the same.

On average the 3 in club exclusives and con excl price out are 600-800 annually (YIKES) (if you get both scales its over a grand) but there are alot of sharp items. Generally they have better stuff for 12" scale
    I'm only in it for the 12" line. Is it really that much money? I didn't think that there that many club exclusives in a given year.
    Scott

Comment

• fumetti
      • Feb 12, 2008

Originally posted by Action Martin
      Has that changed? I couldn't participate until I paid my dues.
      My account lapsed last fall, right around the time they were saying they'll be implementing the changes. I can't swear that those changes actually happened. I just know that Lanny said (IIRC) the Trooper level would allow activity on the message boards, but they'd still have to pay the non-member prices at the store.

Comment

• fumetti
        • Feb 12, 2008

I'm only in it for the 12" line. Is it really that much money? I didn't think that there that many club exclusives in a given year.
        You choose one of two convention exclusive packages, either 12" or 4". You pay upfront for the entrance fee and the big exclusive set. But when you're there, you see that there are plenty of other exclusives related to the set. For example, there's a fuzz head that comes with the set but for $80 you can buy a painted head (with its own clothes). Last year's set had a yellow sea sled, but you could also buy a white one. (Don't know how much it originally cost. Bought mine off eBay for a BIN price of $30.) But you can see how the total outlay can be as high as $600 when you're done.

This is directly related to my loss of interest in the Club. It's all about the convention, which costs a freakin' FORTUNE. The Con was in Atlanta. It would cost hundreds of dollars just for travel, room, and food. Then add on the $250 set, and all the other exclusive items, and now we're easily at a thousand dollars.

Plus, these items rarely sell out quick. Look at the Club store. Still plenty of stuff from the 1990s. These items are suited only for the well-to-do diehards. A few hundred people with passion and money to burn. The rest of fandom finds them too pricey, no matter how much they drool for them. So really, whom does this serve? Not G.I. Joe fandom, not the majority of Club members. (Heck, only a couple of the AT exclusives have sold out, and they're only $40-50 dollars.) To me, this is way too much energy expended for a very small number of people. I don't want to pay to be a member of a club where I'm not its major focus.

(I dared ask Lanny a question about con exclusive pricing and I swear he threatened to lock down the thread!)

The Club's other recent exclusives run something like this: if you're a member on or before March 15 or so, you get that year's free figure--which comes only with a pair of shorts. (You choose 12" or 4". I only ever get 12".) When that figure ships, there's also a related accessory set--which comes with clothes and a gun or two--for $20.

About 7 years ago, the Club began offering repro Adventure Team figures made as close to original as possible. Every year or two, they'd add another. But right now it looks like the line is unofficially on hiatus due to the Wal-Mart AT exclusives.

On the flip side, since the 40th Anniversary line is dead, the Club has picked up the slack a bit and offered two of the unreleased sets, plus put together a Green Beret accessory set (not officially part of the 40th line). And this year they're taking it further by offering updated AT accessory sets. (Personally, I want *exact* replicas. I want to feel I'm buying today what I missed out on 30+ years ago. But that's just me, I guess.)

Comment

• Adam West
          Museum CPA
          • Apr 14, 2003

I really don't have a problem with the pricing. I don't think their intent is to price gauge anyone. I think their intent is good and they are simply trying to cover their costs with small production quantities plus some overhead for staffing.

I do think the AT figures that come from the Club are far superior than the ones made for Wal-Mart. The club went to excruciating lengths to make them true to the originals. I can't remember if it was the Air Adventurer or the Sea Adventurer that they were unhappy with the hair flock and literally remolded the heads and sent them out to those that already purchased them at no extra charge.

One of the big problems that I see is that the figures are at a price point where you can practically purchase a vintage figure in the box for just a little more. I remember the Club Land Adventurer was selling for about $125 on EBAY and I thought to myself why buy that when you can purchase a vintage Land Adventurer in the box for around the same price?

For me at least, I probably have a similar attitude as others in that the figures and sets seem to linger around for a long time so I really have no immediate need to jump and buy them. I'd probably be all over the 2007 convention set if I knew it was going to be gone but given past history, I have plenty of time to purchase it if I want.
          "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
          ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• fumetti
            • Feb 12, 2008

Originally posted by Adam West
            I really don't have a problem with the pricing. I don't think their intent is to price gauge anyone. I think their intent is good and they are simply trying to cover their costs with small production quantities plus some overhead for staffing.
            I don't think they're necessarily overpriced either. It takes a ton of work to put those sets together. This is why I think the Club's focus is not on Joe fans who don't go to the convention. All those months of work to put together a tiny production run that they almost never sell out of. I still don't understand why the white sea sled wasn't put up for sale on the website.

My question about pricing was how much of the package price was for the dinners, drinks, etc.--all the stuff that non-attendees don't use. I was asking where that extra money went. (I asked because he was using the non-toy costs of being at the convention for three days as a reason for the total price. If that price is significant, then I thought non-attendees shouldn't have to pay it.) Lanny wouldn't answer my questions. He only said that they cost what they cost, which was a non-answer.

What's worse is that Lanny took the position that offering the convention exclusive was some kind of favor to us. Favor? No favor, just a smart marketing decision. He was trying to cash in on all the pre-con hype to sell a few more sets before they got shelved for the website. (Nobody ever did me a favor by producing something for sale. Now, if it was given to me, that would be a favor. Otherwise, it's just a transaction.)

I do think the AT figures that come from the Club are far superior than the ones made for Wal-Mart. The club went to excruciating lengths to make them true to the originals. I can't remember if it was the Air Adventurer or the Sea Adventurer that they were unhappy with the hair flock and literally remolded the heads and sent them out to those that already purchased them at no extra charge.
            The Air Adventurer initially had a bad hair color, so they went back and redid them. Later, the Talking Commander's flocking on the chin was terribly thin so they gave a proper replacement. I got the extra heads with the original figure each time, if I remember.

Any knowledgable Joe fan would agree with you that the WM Joes aren't nearly as close. Hasbro didn't try to get the flocking correct, the Sea Adv had garish skin color, the Air Adventurer's pant legs were too short and many came without an AT sticker, and the heads and bodies were based on the 40th line not the Timeless line which looks closer to vintage. And quality control was not good.

One of the big problems that I see is that the figures are at a price point where you can practically purchase a vintage figure in the box for just a little more. I remember the Club Land Adventurer was selling for about $125 on EBAY and I thought to myself why buy that when you can purchase a vintage Land Adventurer in the box for around the same price?
            The LA is the only figure so far that saw such a second market price jump. All the rest go for around the original price on eBay. But yeah, for $50 you can get a pretty good vintage Joe. $100 or so will get you the box too.

Comment

• Action Martin
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 30, 2007

My second issue of MASTER COLLECTOR arrived this week. I am disappointed. It's basically a reprint of the previous issue with the same classifieds. The Joe Club newsletter was also a letdown. Outside of the "What could have been" sets for the 12" Joes, it isn't worth getting.
              Scott

Comment

• Joe90
                Most Special Agent
                • Feb 23, 2008

I joined the Club a few years back for strictly selfish reasons -- to be able to buy the product at a discounted price. I live in Canada, so I pay more for the membership. I've made some friends there, and have bought some nice reproductions.

I've taken advantage of a number of specials they've had over the past year, and so far I see no reason to discontinue the $58 for my membership. Lately, I too have gotten back to the vintage market, but I am looking forward to the Kung Fu Sets, the Asian Adventurer, and Magnum Power. I'm sticking with The Club.

Hey Daniel, did you ever get those rifle straps I sent you as a gift? I haven't heard a peep out of you since...
                90, Joe 90.... Great Shakes : Milk Chocolate -- Shaken, not Stirred.

Comment

• misterdroid
                  Banned
                  • Jan 10, 2008

I joined the club about 3 days ago specifically for the "man of asia" fig. I got a confirmation code within about an hour and have made a couple orders since then. I assume any membership information will be sent with my 1st order. As for now I get club price (officer) at login so I'm happy.

Comment

• Action Martin
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by misterdroid
                    I assume any membership information will be sent with my 1st order.
                    It's not. It is in an e-mail.
                    Scott

Comment

• jds1911a1
                      Alan Scott is the best GL
                      • Aug 8, 2007

I figured that out pretty quick.
                      it's the CON exclusives that really drive up the total. In my eyes they are really the same thing

based on my own calculations if you buy all the con stuff each year it has been about 600 plus for 3" over the last 3 years. here's how I came up with the # (prices are paying officer member price based estimates)
                      300 Convention set 300
                      120-200 Convention vehicles (there are usually 2 or 3 each year) 120-200 (if they had actually made the tanks this year they were 150 for the pair)
                      75-200 convention extra figs - any where from 50 to 200 depending on #'s they make each year the # increases). usually drivers but last 2 years that included Slaughter, the marauders, Piper, and the jet pack troopers sets which all sold out fast.

there are very few CLUB exclusives - membership figs are 20 (I usually get both 12" 3") and the last 2 years operation moth sets averaged 2 a year at 25 each so that was 50 more each year

on average non paying trooper member price is 10-15 more per item

Comment

• jds1911a1
                        Alan Scott is the best GL
                        • Aug 8, 2007

My second issue of MASTER COLLECTOR arrived this week. I am disappointed. It's basically a reprint of the previous issue with the same classifieds. The Joe Club newsletter was also a letdown. Outside of the "What could have been" sets for the 12" Joes, it isn't worth getting.
                        pretty much always the case since the ads are free to members of the clubs up to 35 words people seldom update them except for "want" lists. I like the Regular Joes and "comic" strips but most of the articles are more usefull to lesser read members than me

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎