Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else a member of the G.I. Joe Collectors' Club?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Action Martin
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 30, 2007

The convention exclusives are fantastic but pricey. I'd love the "Attack of the Polar Bear" one, but $230 is a little much to pay. I'd think $100 would be more reasonable.
    Scott

Comment

• BlackKnight
      The DarkSide Customizer
      • Apr 16, 2005

With the 3 sled Dogs, the sled, the Polar Bear, & other Weaponry,.. let alone the figure, it is pricey, but man is it worth it, & boy does it look cool.
      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Action Martin
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 30, 2007

With the exception of the bear and the AT flag, you can get almost everything else from the set in the "Search for the Lost Squadron" boxed set for around $30-$40. Sure the uniform is not the same but you can get close enough.
        Scott

Comment

• brannon86
          Museum Super Collector
          • Jul 20, 2007

G.I Joe

Cool, so your from PA.My grandfather was from Edwardsville, PA. Been there many times....

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

You know I thought about doing that years ago but I was annoyed with how pricey everything was and why they needed so much just to claim yourself a member annually. I didn't see the relevance in the price against what you actually got, except for this "perceived" exposure to special deals. As far as member exclusives go, it is nothing to see those figures hit Ebay for about the same price soon after they hit the collector websites. When I read this thread, it just reminded once more why I stayed away. At any rate, I do hope your experience is positive and productive to your collection. Best wishes!

Comment

• Action Martin
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by dogman67
              Cool, so your from PA.My grandfather was from Edwardsville, PA. Been there many times....
              Yeah, I moved here when I ETSd from the Army.
              Scott

Comment

• Action Martin
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by MIB41
                You know I thought about doing that years ago but I was annoyed with how pricey everything was and why they needed so much just to claim yourself a member annually. I didn't see the relevance in the price against what you actually got, except for this "perceived" exposure to special deals. As far as member exclusives go, it is nothing to see those figures hit Ebay for about the same price soon after they hit the collector websites. When I read this thread, it just reminded once more why I stayed away. At any rate, I do hope your experience is positive and productive to your collection. Best wishes!
                I almost didn't join because I did find the accessory packs and figures on eBay but they were all at least $15-$50 more and shipping was exorbitant. The Club's shipping charge is very reasonable. Plus by joining the Club I am able to connect with other fans/collectors and track down things I need.
                Scott

Comment

• Action Martin
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 30, 2007

I broke down and bought the "Attack of the Polar Bear" set today. I still think $230 is too much for it but I haven't seen one for a lower price. And it turns out that there is a "painted head" Joe with a red parka that was available as a single to members/con goers that bought the set back in 2006. I did a little more checking and all the con exclusive sets have alternate/extra single figures. Great.

The Man of Asia is the 2008 Club 12" exclusive figure. And the Man of Asia accessory pack and the Magnum Power accessory pack are also 2008 Club exclusives. I wonder what the convention exclusive will be this year.
                  Scott

Comment

• Adam West
                    Museum CPA
                    • Apr 14, 2003

I have been a member for about 4 years or so.

I haven't renewed my membership yet but probably will since I do like the AT figures they have made the last few years. The magazine is really lame, I literally look at pictures of new figures or convention pieces and throw it away....I spend about 2 minutes looking at it.

The figures are very pricey but they are well made and the production number is pretty small which is why they cost so much I suspect. I know when they first introduced the AT club figures, I begged Brian to consider coming out with an African American Talking Commander since it is such a grail piece and out of reach for most collectors but would be nice to have a reproduction. He liked the idea but I have yet to see one.

As already stated, you can pretty much purchase most figures for around the club price on Ebay but they do go up after the club has sold after them. The Land Adventurer sold out pretty quick and the last time I checked (and it has been a while), they were selling for about $150 on EBAY. I bought a few Air Adventurers and sold my extras for about $125 when they were sold out. I'm surprised they still have most of the other ones from previous years. I would think with a production run of 1,970 or whatever it is, they wouldn't last for years and years but I do know they hardly ever reduce the price on anything that is limited. I think they run a Father's Day special or something like that but that's about it.

Like I said, I don't really think the membership does much for me other than buying a few figures here and there and that's about it. I always call the phone number to order figures...they are much more responsive if that helps.
                    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• BlackKnight
                      The DarkSide Customizer
                      • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by Action Martin

GreatI wonder what the convention exclusive will be this year.
                      iT'S "Terror Down Below" . A under water Scuba Adventure. With a Firce attack clam.
                      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Action Martin
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                        iT'S "Terror Down Below" . A under water Scuba Adventure. With a Firce attack clam.
                        That was last year's (2007) con exclusive.
                        Scott

Comment

• Action Martin
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by Adam West
                          The magazine is really lame, I literally look at pictures of new figures or convention pieces and throw it away....I spend about 2 minutes looking at it.
                          I've only received one so far. I won't call it lame. But it certainly is no CBG. I was expecting articles, not just a classified ad newspaper. The color G.I. Joe section was ok but the focus was on RAH which is something that I am not into.

The figures are very pricey but they are well made and the production number is pretty small which is why they cost so much I suspect.
                          Agreed. I just found out from reading the magazine that the "Attack of the Polar Bear" was limited to 500 sets. The number seems kind of low to me especially since G.I. Joe has a huge worldwide following. And two years after its release you can still buy the set from the Club.

I know when they first introduced the AT club figures, I begged Brian to consider coming out with an African American Talking Commander since it is such a grail piece and out of reach for most collectors but would be nice to have a reproduction. He liked the idea but I have yet to see one.
                          I stay away from the Talkers. I used to have a Talking Commander as a kid but I never really liked him compared to the other Joes. I see at the Club forums everyone asks Brian for something to be made as an exclusive. He must be going bonkers reading them all. Must be tough to make a decision to appease all the fans/collectors.

As already stated, you can pretty much purchase most figures for around the club price on Ebay but they do go up after the club has sold after them. The Land Adventurer sold out pretty quick and the last time I checked (and it has been a while), they were selling for about $150 on EBAY. I bought a few Air Adventurers and sold my extras for about $125 when they were sold out. I'm surprised they still have most of the other ones from previous years. I would think with a production run of 1,970 or whatever it is, they wouldn't last for years and years but I do know they hardly ever reduce the price on anything that is limited. I think they run a Father's Day special or something like that but that's about it.
                          They ran a Valentines Day sale but nothing really was all that special. The did lower the case price for the 40th Anniversary #23 Action Soldier pack from $168 to $100, which included 4 Action Soldiers and 16 accessory packs which contained extra jackets, rifles, helmets, etc. But you can find the same bundles on eBay for $20-$30 each. I just bought a similar bundle for the Action Marine for $25. If I didn't already have 6 Action Soldiers, I may have considered ordering the sale item.

Like I said, I don't really think the membership does much for me other than buying a few figures here and there and that's about it.
                          I figure that the "free" Club exclusive figure is worth $20. Access to the Members Only site & forums and the monthly newsletter isn't really worth the extra $22. But it does give you some nice discounts on other Club items.

I always call the phone number to order figures...they are much more responsive if that helps.
                          They've asked that we don't call anymore because the phone lines have become jammed with "all the calls about the 2008 Club exclusives". I did call last Wednesday and they were closed for "business meetings".
                          Scott

Comment

• fumetti
                            • Feb 12, 2008

I was a member for years but recently let it lapse.

The Club is really about the CONVENTIONS. All their energy and focus goes into the con exclusives. The Club was just a way to sell off unsold convention items.

Recently, tho, they have expanded to create product sold specifically through the Club store. Some good items there. I love the 12" accessories.

But $42 a year is a bit much. The magazine is almost worthless, except you get to read the press release (about upcoming items) a few days/weeks before anyone else. If you're still concerned with being the first on the block to know, you might value the magazine. Before the internet, those ads would have been a wonderful way to find what you need. But eBay is a better source--cheaper, and with pictures. The internet also eliminated the need for the newsletter.

You wouldn't believe the major fuss last fall over these newsletters. GICC is terrified someone will share that info, and that non-payers might read it. It's a hobby, folks, not National Security.

The AT repros have been wonderful. I have all but one (Astronaut) and they're treasured. But the flocked "foreign head" freebies leave me cold. Other than getting a really good repro vintage body, I have no use for'em. I've replaced both foreign heads so far with the extra heads from the Air Adventure set and Talking Commander set.

The AT repro line has faded since the Wal-Mart exclusives came out. It's pretty hard to tell the Club Adventurer from the WM Adventurer (other than the WM fig's KFG), so the price disparity ($43 to $10) is significant. I hate that WM beat the club to the Man of Action. I really wanted a Club version, especially if it was a talker (could use them--with a 40th head--as a Talking Soldier).

Used to be, you couldn't participate in the forums without paying club dues. Now they've opened them up. Which takes away one more incentive for joining.

If money isn't a big issue, and you really want some well-made repro Joe items, then joining the club is worth it.

Myself, I've decided to move on to just vintage. I have almost a hundred Joes (about 20 are vintage) after gorging myself on repros. Now I'd rather just focus on originals. Nobody's got the flocking right, not even the Club. Don't know why they can't replicate the formula.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                              Alan Scott is the best GL
                              • Aug 8, 2007

been a member for 5 years. They have a small staff and usualy are slow to respond
                              The advantage to officer membership is if you plan to buy club exclusive stuff you get "price breaks" as a rule the cost of membership is a wash versus the non member price for a con package attending or NON. The newsletter is kind of clever but I would honestly rather not get the master collector paper and have a reduced membership fee. On average the 3 in club exclusives and con excl price out are 600-800 annually (YIKES) (if you get both scales its over a grand) but there are alot of sharp items. Generally they have better stuff for 12" scale but the con 3 inch sets have had some major winners (and 2 I didn't really care for) since they cot the con flaghsip from MARZ/WHIZ BANG (you want to talk pricey 400 for 1 doll without all the extras)

Comment

• Action Martin
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by fumetti
                                The Club is really about the CONVENTIONS. All their energy and focus goes into the con exclusives. The Club was just a way to sell off unsold convention items.
                                It amazes me that they still have leftover exclusive convention sets. I would think that when a production run is limited to 500 like it was on "Fight for Survival: Polar Bear Attack!" (2006) that they would sell out at the con or within a year for non-con going members.

Recently, tho, they have expanded to create product sold specifically through the Club store. Some good items there. I love the 12" accessories.
                                Oh yes. The Arctic Adventurer, the Foreign Adventurer, and the Asian Adventurer are great accessory sets. I'm not too keen on Magnum Power and the Karate outfit.

But $42 a year is a bit much. The magazine is almost worthless, except you get to read the press release (about upcoming items) a few days/weeks before anyone else. If you're still concerned with being the first on the block to know, you might value the magazine. Before the internet, those ads would have been a wonderful way to find what you need. But eBay is a better source--cheaper, and with pictures. The internet also eliminated the need for the newsletter.
                                I think $42 would be fair if the "free" figure came with the accessory set. The newsletter is ok & lame at the same time. The internet has ruined the need for collector magazines. But I still prefer a hard copy over reading news releases on different sites.

You wouldn't believe the major fuss last fall over these newsletters. GICC is terrified someone will share that info, and that non-payers might read it. It's a hobby, folks, not National Security.
                                I agree with you. The idea that I can't share the images of the new exclusive figures and sets is baffling. I think if non-members saw those items, they would want to join so they could buy them.

Used to be, you couldn't participate in the forums without paying club dues. Now they've opened them up. Which takes away one more incentive for joining.
                                Has that changed? I couldn't participate until I paid my dues.
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎