Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Prior to this, you would have said that Marvel's success stemmed from the fact that their properties were split among different studios, but with Marvel Studios themselves on this impossible winning streak with the Avengers franchise, Warners is really not getting the point of finding the essence of the characters, Let alone the consistency of the current Marvel cinematic universe.

I think the big question will be, what will Marvel do when Robert Downey Jr gets tired of putting on the Arnour? I think it's really obvious how much his character anchors the movie and his chemistry seems to bring out some of the best moments in the other characters (his "doesn't play well with others" is a terrific character catalyst, not just a heroic arc). The fight with Thor, his challenge from Cap about sacrifice, his advice to Banner about "suiting up", his constant questioning around the SHIELD status quo, the verbal throwdown with Loki that takes them into the third act... he really is the engine that drives this film.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

I'm not a big Downey fan, so I'll survive if another actor takes over.
      And the rather constant chatter that seems to be a part of Iron Man now, isn't needed IMO. I thought that was more a Spiderman trait.
      I don't mind if he stays on to do more movies, but he's not the most essential player.

My favorite so far is Ruffalo as Banner/Hulk.
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• david_b
        Never had enough toys..
        • May 9, 2008

Ruffalo SCORED BIG TIME as Banner/Hulk. Love the wry sense of humor from his end. Some folks are advocating bringing in Vish and the Pyms for the 2nd outing, which I totally agree on.

But they're the same folks that think Widow and Clint can leave, but I'm totally against that. It the smaller-scale, more-human level characters like Widow and Hawkeye that really ground the group and works great on another level. You need that for good team dynamics. The lesser characters help to define the dominant characters in terms of strength, which also brings out sensitivity in the dominant characters by assisting the weaker team members.

Also, IMHO, the 2nd picture (which I heard Joss mention a few words on) will be smaller in scale, more personal and driven, which is PERFECT for the sequel. That's how truly successful sequels work.

It's like a chapter of a book or an act of a play, you have to have highs and lows in terms of action and character development. How they'll do that with Thanos, is anyone's guess. Companies who use sequels to simply try to out-punch or out-CGI the first film typically aren't too successful. I think of Supes II and Empire Strikes Back as great examples.

I still LOVE thinking about the shwarma scene at the tail-end. PURE GENIUS.
        Last edited by david_b; May 7, '12, 9:08 AM.
        Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I was sorry to lose Norton, but in the end I prefer Ruffalo's take better. His bemused attitude conveyed the beast underneath very well. He seemed to have something boiling under the surface in every scene, much the way Bill Bixby always played it. He had the detached nature of most geniuses as well. Loved how uncomfortable he acted around all of the shield agents and guns, etc.

I think Hawkeye and Black Widow are most definitely necessary for any sequels. As portrayed, they more than held their own, and as david_b said they grounded the other characters. I'm sure we'll get some new members, but I don't want the sequel to get too crowded, and I don't want any of these characters to get the shaft because of it.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

^^^
            I think you've nailed it with the Bixby comparison, he really was channeling that, but not in an overly slavish way.

One thing I really want to see in future films is a bit more emphasis on Thor, Iron man and cap as the heart, mind and soul of the Avengers, which we only got a taste of in the three way throw down. They have always really been the core with all the other characters revolving around them through the decades. Thor and cap had slightly smaller arcs this time out, but it's understandable with so many other characters to service. Looking forward to seeing all the "cut scenes" involving them... Particularly the cap out of time stuff, and maybe some more brotherly conflict between Loki and Thor just to really drive the emotional point home about Thor's love for Loki creating such a problematic blindspot.

Comment

• WannabeMego
              Made in the USA
              • May 2, 2003

IMHO the villain for the Avengers sequal should not be Thanos right away...he should remiain in the background for a 3rd installment reveal.

I think the whole Human Torch/Ultron/Vision Pym story arc (with hints of Wonderman) would be a great element as well as an introduction to some additional secondary characters (not main...not yet).

I think it can be done without overshadowing the main characters...but it's gotta be 2:15-2:30 hrs minimum.

Did anyone hear Pepper Potts mention something about a Chalice to Agent Coulson as they were walking towards the elevator...? The laughter got in the way of some of the dialogue at times and it made it very difficult to hear some of the lines.

...and...

I only stood for the 1st reveal after the credits...now folks are saying that there was a 2nd reveal at the very end of the credits...?!?!?
              Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Cosmicman
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 12, 2005

OK. Avengers. I enjoyed the movie. I have a few quirks and peeves that ****ed me off like Thor forgetting to wear his helmet and having to look at Chris Evan's face (the guy who played Captain America). Leave the Captain America mask on! I read a lot of comics and Captain America doesn't pull his mask down every five minutes for celebrity face shots.
                I hated Hawkeye's outfit....total crap. What's up without giving him his traditional mask? I'm old school when it comes to putting comics on the screen but at least do it right, don't half *** it.
                The action and the fight scenes were good! The movie gets a total of an 8 out of 10 from me.

"Um.....Hulk Smash!"
                More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• clemso
                  Talkative Member
                  • Aug 8, 2001

Originally posted by samurainoir
                  Prior to this, you would have said that Marvel's success stemmed from the fact that their properties were split among different studios, but with Marvel Studios themselves on this impossible winning streak with the Avengers franchise, Warners is really not getting the point of finding the essence of the characters, Let alone the consistency of the current Marvel cinematic universe.

I think the big question will be, what will Marvel do when Robert Downey Jr gets tired of putting on the Arnour? I think it's really obvious how much his character anchors the movie and his chemistry seems to bring out some of the best moments in the other characters (his "doesn't play well with others" is a terrific character catalyst, not just a heroic arc). The fight with Thor, his challenge from Cap about sacrifice, his advice to Banner about "suiting up", his constant questioning around the SHIELD status quo, the verbal throwdown with Loki that takes them into the third act... he really is the engine that drives this film.
                  Who better than Marvel studios to know their own characters. I wish Fox would work more closely with Marvel. I still want to see a epic X-Men movie where they up against the Sentinels. A FF movie with a real Galactus and the Watcher. Skulls or perhaps Annihilus.

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by WannabeMego
                    I only stood for the 1st reveal after the credits...now folks are saying that there was a 2nd reveal at the very end of the credits...?!?!?
                    the second reveal after the credits rolled was purely a comedy bit with the Avengers eating schwarma in silence... As Tony suggested that they do after taking down Loki.

I don't think they are going the Pym route though... It looks like Edgar (shawn of the dead) Wright's Ant Man film has finally been green lit off the success of the Avengers, and it's been long rumored that he is going the irrideamable route rather than astonishing. Which kind of fits into the films that Wright tends to do... Oddball every men in ridiculous situations. Plus Kirkman material is hot off the success of Walking Dead. If it is part of Avengers Phase 2, it will like
                    Y be seeing Eric O'grady (the current ant man) running alongside cap, iron man and co.

Edgar Wright Teases Ant-Man With Mysterious Image TV, Film, and Entertainment News Daily

Irredeemable Ant-Man (2006) #8 NM | eBay

Essential Ant-Man Volume 1 TPB (New) 25% Off! | eBay
                    Last edited by samurainoir; May 7, '12, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

No reveals, just a funny scene after the battle with the team sitting around a table eating the shwarma Stark was babbling on about.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• johnmiic
                        Adrift
                        • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by Thor
                        You are talking about earth tech from the last century. I would think a vessel capable of true space travel would be made of some very exotic alloys and perhaps it would have shielding from some forms of radiation too.
                        I'm thinking whatever protection they use was turned off. They were pretty much guaranteed by Loki Earth people would be easy to conquer. They were situated beyond the portal and didn't think Earthlings had any weapon we could use against them. How wrong they were.

Originally posted by WannabeMego
                        I think the whole Human Torch/Ultron/Vision Pym story arc (with hints of Wonderman) would be a great element as well as an introduction to some additional secondary characters (not main...not yet).
                        I would love to see The Vision and Scarlet Witch introduced in the next film. Maybe they could have a scene interviewing people who know sorcery and choosing SW over Doctor Strange as the DS film has been mentioned as in development.

The Torch/Ultron/Vision Pym story would be great and could faciliate Ultron, Quasimodo and The Mad Thinker but with the hint of Thanos wouldn't a sequel more likely involve more cosmic races like Kree, Skrulls, Silver Surfer, (that is if the FF and their catalogue are out of FOX in time) and dare I suggest it; Captain Marvel?

It's a shame they couldn't have tied this film into an FF film because if NYC is under siege the FF would definitely intervene. It would be nice to see heroes from different teams improvise and work together like in the comics.

Comment

• WannabeMego
                          Made in the USA
                          • May 2, 2003

the second reveal after the credits rolled was purely a comedy bit with the Avengers eating schwarma in silence... As Tony suggested that they do after taking down Loki.
                          Found it: The Avengers (THE SHAWARMA EATING SCENE)

Too Late...Taken Down
                          Last edited by WannabeMego; May 7, '12, 7:54 PM.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

I think Hawkeye and Black Widow should certainly stay.
                            Perhaps they can go shopping for a mask for Clint. Maybe one with night vision and heat sensitive goggles, to make the mask more practical and less Halloween...
                            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• WannabeMego
                              Made in the USA
                              • May 2, 2003

I don't think they are going the Pym route though... It looks like Edgar (shawn of the dead) Wright's Ant Man film has finally been green lit off the success of the Avengers, and it's been long rumored that he is going the irrideamable route rather than astonishing. Which kind of fits into the films that Wright tends to do... Oddball every men in ridiculous situations. Plus Kirkman material is hot off the success of Walking Dead. If it is part of Avengers Phase 2, it will like Y be seeing Eric O'grady (the current ant man) running alongside cap, iron man and co.
                              I is the Ant-Man

Comment

• Thor
                                Thunder God
                                • Dec 17, 2009

Does anyone think that we'll see the Wasp and Giantman next movie?
                                sigpic

"I've seen things you wouldn't believe."

- Roy Batty

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎