Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12" KISS comparison Mego vs CTVT pic heavy!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

12" KISS comparison Mego vs CTVT pic heavy!!

Hiya folks.

So I took a look at the old versus the new last night as I was wandering about in an insomniac state.

I really like the redo on the 12" KISS. I know there are some folks that hate repro and figure that it will dilute the vintage market. But, I think the differences here are easy enough to spot; plus the run on these figures may be low enough to give the Originals (pun intended) a run for their money.

I wasn't planning on doing anything with the new 12" versions, but I had a trade offer at the zero hour that I did not want to refuse, so I called up Figures Toys and asked if I could add a 12" case onto my order. They said they thought they could squeak one more 12" case out. I think I might have gotten the last one as many places (including ctvt) have been sold out since.

The cases and mounting system is the same as for the 8" figures.
    Incidentally, if you want to leave the figure tray glued to the card, you may want to try this out. I pulled the boots and leggings off of the figure and then snip the wire that is around the neck. Then I pull the figure up out of the wires holding the legs. And, finally, put the leggings and boots back on. Bang! figure off the card and tray without ripping any paper. At that point, you can cut the wires completely away from the card and then just use the tray as a coffin to hold the figure when you want to display it with the card.

As has been mentioned, these are direct copies of the original Mego head sculpts. Paul does not have the molded Captain hair under his rooted wig, but other than that, they seem to be pretty much a good repro of the heads. I would note that the rooting pattern is not the same, and on some figures - Paul and Ace especially - it makes them look quited different from their vintage counterparts.

The costumes are all direct copies, tho there are very obvious differences in modern textiles and the silver sleeves/legging boots for Ace and Gene are a completely different material. That should make the folks worried about repro parts at least a little happy, since it will be pretty tough to pass those off as original. There are tons of other differences like the stars on Pauls suit are much more rounded off than the originals and the silver on Peters leggings is much more pronounced. But that is probably good info for a KISS accessory check listing. OH Dave........ darn - Dave's not here.

The face sculpts are pretty good. They seem a little softer, and I would guess they were cast from Mego heads so that makes sense. Peters face is not quite as puffy as the original Hackmanesque sculpt, and Ace does not quite look as angelic. There also seems to be a bit of a tendancy for some warpage in the sculpt. You can't really see it unless you are looking at one next to an original, but then you can see some bits got a little skinnier than others in the copy process.

The makeup apps are great, but there is some difference there as well. Such as Ace's mouth is open on the Mego app, but not so for the new figure. Pauls mouth is much smaller. The colors around the eyes are not quite the same sort of thickness..... stuff like that.

I will let this pics speak for the rest. Oh... the mini t-shirts are very cool. I hope that ctvt prints up some of them and just sells them as a set.

Last edited by rche; Apr 25, '12, 12:23 AM.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Great pics! Thank you for posting them. Does the new Catman have Lex's molded eyebrows? Doesn't look like it in the pic. I'm really liking the paint on the news ones. Looks cleaner, sharper and less color bleed than the vintage.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Apr 25, '12, 12:51 AM.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• rche
      channeling Bob Wills
      • Mar 26, 2008

The Cat does have eyebrows, but they do not seem to have the texture that the original Lex sculpt has. It may be there and just be rather faint as details often get lost or soften up with recasts.
      Last edited by rche; Apr 25, '12, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• captact
        King of Super Queens!
        • Aug 19, 2007

Whats wrong with the chains on Gene's outfit? theyre not criss-crossed like the original? Just curious....

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

^^ one or two links too many, I would think.

Comment

• pmwasson
            Maker
            • Sep 12, 2007

Great pics! They seem to evoke the originals, but have enough difference to make everyone happy.
            sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• pmjlghrs
              • Oct 28, 2010

Why did they not produce guitar accessories to go with the figures?

Comment

• josephcardone
                Persistent Member
                • Jun 10, 2010

Thanks for the comparison pictures By the way - you convinced me to keep the original Mego's!!

Comment

• Chris
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 23, 2009

Excellent breakdown! Thank you so much for your detailed look at the figures. It was both interesting and informative. You answered all the questions I had.
                  If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Nice job, rche. It's good to see that there are enough differences so that people who are familiar enough with the vintage ones can recognize a modern one when they see it.

Comment

• ZebMayonaise
                      • Nov 6, 2012

Originally posted by pmjlghrs

Comment

• ZebMayonaise
                        • Nov 6, 2012

Originally posted by pmjlghrs
                        No Kidding!! How is Kiss supposed to rock out with a t-shirt?!?!? The 8" figures come with completely worthless "album reproductions" that are not even worth removing from the package. That card stock is plenty thick for some cut-out guitars on the back.... seems like an obvious misstep... but why? The card back has no real information on it and is pretty substandard. I am still very glad these are finally out!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎