X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comic Book Geek
    Stays Crunchy in Milk
    • Aug 2, 2004

Originally posted by Wee67
    Sibling rivalry kept me from admiting I liked Star Wars at first.

My brother was a sci-fi nut and, in my eyes, pretty nerdy. Sooo, if my brother liked, it must be nerdy. He, of course, worshipped SW.

I'm not quite sure how a superhero fanatic like me could point at SW fans and call them nerds, but at the time, I somehow made that differentiation.

Ultimately (and by ultimately I mean a week or two), I was into the culture. I had the cards, watched the specials, etc.

Perhaps you had forsight into the fact that Star Wars nerds would one day camp outside a movie theater wearing jedi robes for months... to see the second prequel.
    Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
      valar morghulis
      • Mar 8, 2005

That History Channel show looks great.. I can't wait to hear what Nancy Pelosi, Newt Gingrich, and Dan Rather etc have to say about the cultural impact of Star Wars..

I was 8 when SW first came out, and I have no strong memory of it, altho I think I saw it. Same goes for ESB. I never had one SW toy.

I do remember walking the five miles to the nearest theater with a friend to see a matinee of Jedi.

Comment

• Adam West
        Museum CPA
        • Apr 14, 2003

I don't remember where I heard this but apparently if you asked what movie did "May the Force Be With You" come from around 80-90% of the global population can tell you.
        "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
        ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• DocDrako
          Formerly Doc Drako
          • Nov 11, 2004

I've had a weird day all day. I kept going back in time all day, remembering where I was and everything when Star Wars came out. I wasn't there on opening night, but I saw it about 3 weeks later. It was lifechanging for me. Happy Birthday, Star Wars!

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• Hulk
            Mayor of Megoville
            • May 10, 2003

Caught the end of ESB on TV tonight, it was a fun 15 minutes.

Comment

• VintageMike
              Permanent Member
              • Dec 16, 2004

I don't know if it was opening day, but I know I saw it early on as I do remember the line and what theatre I saw it in. I was only 6 but I'll nenver forgot it. It was just so awesome and would lead to not only being the predominant toys of my childhood but my other toy collecting passion in adulthood.
              Here's a great article of th eopening at the theatres it played in.

A sad aside to this story is the theatre in question ceased operations last Friday (to make way for a bigger theatre in the area) 30 years to the day, Star Wars opened there.
              Last edited by VintageMike; May 28, '07, 1:22 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I didn't see Star Wars until 1979, I'm that kid.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ABMAC
                  User
                  • May 16, 2002

I probably saw Star Wars a few days after its release. I don't remember anything about the experience, so there couldn't have been much of a line.

The first reference to Star Wars that I saw was a review of the novel in Starlog magazine before the movie was made. I bought a paperback copy of the novel soon afterward, but waited until I'd seen the movie to read it.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎