Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warriors of the Apocalypse -advice needed (pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mazinz
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 2, 2007

Warriors of the Apocalypse -advice needed (pic heavy)

I am working on an obviously fictional toy line that I will call "Warriors of the Apocalypse". This is my tribute to the many Post Apocalyptic Mad Max rip-off type of films that flooded the video market back in the 80's. Many of them were very outrageous and over the top in terms of "costumes" the characters wore in the film. Most were a mix of punk rock, new wave and military and sort of treading into fantasy. With that mindset this is how I want the toy line to look (or as best as I can do/afford)

The first character would be "Vader of the Apocalypse" and I could use your input. Now keep in mind these are all RAW pics. In the end he might have more detail (such as sort of bronzing the helmet, that just does not sound right does it?). I am also planning on painting the eyes red and make them resemble more so goggles than a mask, etc

Of the 4 versions below which do you think I should go with since I sort of like them all but only have one Vader head to work with?

Also below them are two vehicle sets I picked up from the ToysRus true heroes line because I can mod them into a Post apoc style, especially the amphibious vehicle set which would be Vader's machine

Last edited by mazinz; Apr 15, '12, 8:05 PM.
    "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

I think A works the best for the Vader head.

I really love the shoulder pads on the last one (nothing says post-Apocalyptic wasteland like shoulder pads!), but not sure it goes with the Vader helmet. Looks a bit too robotic, and not enough WW3 sex dungeon. I'd definitely save the body, but use a head with an eye patch or a mohawk or something.

Comment

• babycyclops
      Career Member
      • Jul 9, 2010

I think A is the best, too. Also Spytel is onto something with the shoulder pads.
      Shoulder pads, or even better shoulder pads with spikes, take me straight to some quarry near Rome where so many of those movies were filmed.

If you could get some crossbows that would rock, and if you come across figures with more bare skin, like maybe wearing a singlet, that would go well with a masked head.

Looking forward to seeing more stuff!

Comment

• mazinz
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by sprytel
        I think A works the best for the Vader head.

I really love the shoulder pads on the last one (nothing says post-Apocalyptic wasteland like shoulder pads!), but not sure it goes with the Vader helmet. Looks a bit too robotic, and not enough WW3 sex dungeon. I'd definitely save the body, but use a head with an eye patch or a mohawk or something.
        Originally posted by babycyclops
        I think A is the best, too. Also Spytel is onto something with the shoulder pads.
        Shoulder pads, or even better shoulder pads with spikes, take me straight to some quarry near Rome where so many of those movies were filmed.

If you could get some crossbows that would rock, and if you come across figures with more bare skin, like maybe wearing a singlet, that would go well with a masked head.

Looking forward to seeing more stuff!

Thanks I like choice A as well. Most of this is going to be made from beaters I have lying around here (mainly Corps or Corps knock-off type stuff). I do have a Roman gladiator type who does have a regular skin arm with a wicked shoulder pad, but in order to fit the other bodies I would have to create a new arm stump for him. W'ell see how that goes.

In the meantime how is this guy for the eye patch and shoulder pad look (kind of a Budget Mad Max look if I repaint him)

Comment

• mazinz
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 2, 2007

Some progress work so far. Mostly just painting in little details (like painting the gun on Vader's chest). Also have the bronze kit working on the Vader head and though not done yet, mild rust along the bottom edges of his helmet. The other guy has a scar I painted on his face and gave him gray hair instead of black to make him a bit older (though might end up giving him the salt and pepper look) but so far his setup was just body swapping parts and re-painted. Might add more roughage to it

I also made a mold of one of the Corps characters that is neon glow greenish. Sort of looks like Necro99 from the Bakshi film Wizards, but I still have to figure out more of what I am going to do with him (pics later for that)

Comment

• mazinz
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 2, 2007

ok here is the corps figure and green glow mold next to him. I have to use a dremel to cut the helmet/hood off and I have a rough idea as to what I am going to use him for (might be called "the radiated man" or the radiated astronaut)

Comment

• mazinz
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 2, 2007

Painted in a bit more "dirt" detail with a mix of washes and dry brushing. My camera is not the best by today's standards so I tried to get it to pick up what it could. Obviously you can see it well with the Mad Max Road Warrior guy (which I also went back to giving him black hair), on Vader however it is more subtle but mainly added to the pants and guns and gloves, with some on the chest, just to show he does not look so "clean"

This is also going to be very multi-themed with no real "good guys and bad guys". Similar to the Arco's Other Worlds toy line, it gives you a basic rundown but it was up to you to decide on the adventure as well as background for the characters

I also found the guys in the bottom photo this week at dollar tree. These French/China boots are painted rather awesomely. I bought them mainly for the masked trooper because he looks like some sort of radiated soldier with the paint job and design. They offered him in 3 color variations and I think he would be a good troop builder for the Vader part of this series. Also I really have to do nothing else to them, they look the part already-

Comment

• mazinz
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 2, 2007

the Stranded Alien Visitor and the Radiated Astronaut:

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎