• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zeedox
    Career Member
    • Aug 10, 2007

All Mattel DC Lines seem to be flopping eh

http://articulationtimes.com/mattel-...e-figure-lines

What would it take for something like DC to continue the 8" line themselves!?

http://articulationtimes.com/dc-direct-rebrands-itself/
    Last edited by zeedox; Apr 12, '12, 2:22 PM.
  • jimsmegos
    Mego Dork
    • Nov 9, 2008

First and foremost DC has to do something with the core characters and properties that the fans actually want instead of revamping and ruining.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by jimsmegos
      First and foremost DC has to do something with the core characters and properties that the fans actually want instead of revamping and ruining.
      Exactly. It took 30 years to get a proper Christopher Reeve Superman, and I'd pretty much sell my soul for a line of Batman TV show figures. I'd buy those in four, six, eight, and twelve inch scale!

The '66 Batmobiles have sold non-stop for the last five years already in numerous scales, die-cast, plastic kits, ornaments, you name it.

Next up would be a nice line of Batman movie figures, some Flash TV series figures, Adventures of Superman TV figures in color and black and white...

Ahhh...one can only dream.

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
        Career Member
        • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by enyawd72
        Exactly. It took 30 years to get a proper Christopher Reeve Superman, and I'd pretty much sell my soul for a line of Batman TV show figures. I'd buy those in four, six, eight, and twelve inch scale!
        With all the rights issues on those, I think the price will be higher.

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

>With all the rights issues on those, I think the price will be higher.

Yeah.... that's probably a big deal with just about any licensed characters a company might want to do. It seems like one of the odd effects the '89 Batman movie had was to put the idea in the minds of execs that old properties CAN be valuable. After that, a lot of companies started jacking up their fees and hanging onto the rights with a Vulcan death grip. To compensate, the cost of the end product gets pricey. That's a probelm with something like DC (or Star Wars) 'cos you can't afford to make a lot of the secondary or tertiary characters.... the fun, odd dudes.... because the price point takes them WAY out of the "Ambush Bug? Neat!" impulse buy level. So you end up getting the big names, over and over. Collectors will obsessively hunt them all.... to a point; but the casual buyer doesn't need ten different Batmans.

It's a Catch-22, and it means a lot of lines will burn brightly for a short time.

Don C.

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
            Career Member
            • Sep 5, 2005

The Batman television show is a very thorny one. It's been estimated that it would take seven million just to figure out the rights holders, then you start adding in the clearances. It adds up fast, especially when the pot gets split between so many entities. It just doesn't cost out, sad to say.

Comment

• drmego
              EMCE Toys
              • Jun 15, 2001

We had a meeting with DC Direct about them taking over the line from Mattel,
              but they had their plate full with the new directive and the 52 re-launch.
              www.drmego.com
              www.megoman.com
              www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• bagmonster
                Registered Lurker
                • Apr 13, 2002

Originally posted by drmego
                That is intriguing. I would hope that they were open to revisiting things when they got a bit off their plate. Keep fighting the good fight, Paul. I will keep buying everything you guys put out!

Comment

• drmego
                  EMCE Toys
                  • Jun 15, 2001

Actually right after that meeting, Mattel started showing off wave 4 figures
                  at NY Comicon. I don't know if one thing had to do with the other.
                  www.drmego.com
                  www.megoman.com
                  www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• drogge
                    Career Member
                    • Jul 24, 2009

NY Comic Con

When was NY Comic Con, by the way I just ordered Wave 2, NOLD from you site. Who knows there might be some good news, the Retro vibe is still strong. From my vantage point, they are selling well. I mean the stock at Tuesday's disappeared quickly. All that is left at the local TRU is a couple of Lex Luthors. I just don't see the harm in manufacturing some more figures, unless it is a resource problem? I think the toy market is down in general.

Comment

• Gremlin517
                      Museum Patron
                      • Sep 20, 2009

I am so ****ed off about what they did to all of their Golden Age characters...

Grem-
                      Give us Golden Age Mego!!! Hourman! Golden Age Green Lantern, Jay Garrick would absolutely rock!sigpic

Comment

• The Shadow
                        • Jun 22, 2011

It's a summer of superheros at the movies. Maybe they believe they can ride the wave, even though most of the movies are based on Marvel characters. Keep on being a rock in their shoe Doc. Wave 4 may yet see the light of day!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by The Shadow
                          It's a summer of superheros at the movies. Maybe they believe they can ride the wave, even though most of the movies are based on Marvel characters. Keep on being a rock in their shoe Doc. Wave 4 may yet see the light of day!
                          Umm, it did see the light of day.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Cosmicman
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jul 12, 2005

....and thus is the reason some became customizers of the 8 inch Mego figures in the first place.
                            The day Mego originally decided there would be no Green Lantern, Flash or Lex Luthor, so it began.
                            Back to the drawing board, history repeats itself again sadly.

Originally posted by Gremlin517
                            I am so ****ed off about what they did to all of their Golden Age characters...

Grem-
                            Who said Golden age DC hero figures? Plenty people on here that would make you one or two under the table.

PS. Hey, that Kyle Rayner and yellow costumed Sinestro looked pretty smooth. Ebay here I come.
                            Last edited by Cosmicman; May 2, '12, 5:52 PM.
                            More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                              One eyed, wonder
                              • Dec 17, 2009

Any chance Marvel may be interested in Mego style dolls?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎