X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Duncan
    Museum focus-groupie
    • Jun 27, 2009

Originally posted by MegoMark71
    As far as the call your talking about i actually don't agree. It wasn't as bad as it looked. Brown never changes his stance, only thing he was guilty of was the hit being a tad late. I had no problem with that call. And i don't like him. He has a bad attitude about him i just don't like.
    Yeah, I was also OK with the no-call here. To me, it looked like thigh-on-thigh, and I can't say that I saw intent. It just looked like two guys skating into each other, but only one had a chance to brace for the hit. Maybe there was intent to injure, but I didn't see evidence.

Comment

• spacecaps
      Second Mouse
      • Aug 24, 2011

Mike Smith says Brown should be suspended for life after that hit. That is extreme. I think the big problem I had with the hit is that LA scored like 10 seconds later so it was a double blow to the Yotes. After a day to look it over, it probably wasn't as flagrant as it appeared but considering the magnitude of the moment it happened it, it'll get looked a quite closely. Still it'll be an interesting call for Shanny since he's been handing out suspensions like a child plays pin the tail on the donkey.
      "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• spacecaps
        Second Mouse
        • Aug 24, 2011

OK on to what really matters. tonight's game. First off, I had tickets. I sold them on Stub-hub and made $400. Do I regret not going...Period 1 Yes. Period 2 Yes. 5 seconds into Period 3 NO! But really I'm ok with making some extra cash and I don't think I would have enjoyed the game as much. I think if you told the Rags earlier today they were going to score 3 against Marty, they would have signed up for that in a heart beat. The difference between the two teams is the 4th line, the forecheck and the Devils role players. Look who stepped up tonight...Gionta, Zajac, Carter, all scored goals. Elias (who always seems to score off Henry in big spots) steps up tonight after having a nonexistent series. Kovy was all over the ice and Parise is by far the best hockey player on either team. All day long I kept hearing about which Ranger needs to step up in order for them to win and a lot of people were giving different answers. Richards, Callahan, Prust, Dubinsky, Del Zotto....to many chefs in the kitchen all trying to make the same dish. For NJ it was a team effort. All around. When Marty scored that 3rd goal for the Rangers (yeah you read that right) I got really, really nervous. Game 3 against Florida kept coming up. The Rangers waiting for a hero to emerge at home and believing they're the team to beat was hard to block out. But the Devils coaching staff handled everything right. The team picked up their goalie (who despite putting one in his own cage for the Rags) played great. If you watch the Devils, Marty is still great with the puck... probably still the best goalie in that department but every once in a while he lets one like that go through. You just never want to see him do it in that kind of spot. Bottom line is tonight was the Rangers best all around played game. They came out hard, went down early, came back, and seemed poised to pull off a miracle win and put the Devils to bed and they fell short. They lost and it's not about what NY did wrong to lose, it's about what the Devils did right to come out with the win.

Torts was asked the other day what needed to be done for his linesmen to score more and his answer was pray. I'd like to believe it didn't work because Gods gotta a twisted sense of humor and roots for the New Jersey Devils.
        Last edited by spacecaps; May 23, '12, 10:15 PM.
        "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• MegoMark71
          Permanent Member
          • Dec 18, 2008

No bro, god just knows torts is an icehole and even he can't stand him. Your post was dead on though. Glad they got that goal back from Brodeur, he usually doesn't make mistakes like that. That 4th line is awesome right now.

Mike Smith is a moron, and that statement proves it. In looking at that hit alone and nothing else, i still feel there is no reason to even still be talking about it. I don't see Brown doing anything dirty at all. He doesn't target him, he doesn't do anything to change his momentum, he simply continued the path he was on. Do i think Brown is a jerk who at times does play a little over the line, of course. I actually think he is a major jerk . But not on that play

Comment

• spacecaps
            Second Mouse
            • Aug 24, 2011

Originally posted by MegoMark71
            Glad they got that goal back from Brodeur, he usually doesn't make mistakes like that. That 4th line is awesome right now.

Mike Smith is a moron, and that statement proves it. In looking at that hit alone and nothing else, i still feel there is no reason to even still be talking about it. I don't see Brown doing anything dirty at all. He doesn't target him, he doesn't do anything to change his momentum, he simply continued the path he was on. Do i think Brown is a jerk who at times does play a little over the line, of course. I actually think he is a major jerk . But not on that play
            Marty does make a mistake like that every now and again. He usually doesn't do it in a crucial Game 5 of the 3rd Round of the playoffs. The Devils are laughing it off now and you can do that if you win, so it's all good. the second goal that went by him was one of those he couldn't do anything about so I can't fault him for that either. He's a proven goalie (the greatest ever really) and despite being "past his prime", he's still one of the best in the league.

As for Brown, like I said, I think it was magnified because it was on an offsides play after the whistle and LA won a few seconds later. The way Shanny does things though, I don't know what he'll do. I think if your the Yotes, your red-hot over the way it went down but after a day to think about it, not nearly as bad as I thought. Brown however is still a GOON.

One other thing I forgot to mention was the Kovy no-goal on the high stick. I thought that was gonna be the killer for NJ. They were so stoic on the bench (and the ice) when it happened though the Devils are showing some great poise even when things don't go their way.

Comment

• spacecaps
              Second Mouse
              • Aug 24, 2011

No games tonight but for the most part, all the talk in town has been about the Rangers and Devils today. Guarantees in sports are never a good idea. Patrick Ewing is a joke for making one he couldn't keep. Mark Messier is a legend because his came to fruition. Yet despite Jurassic Marks promise coming true, the Rangers of today are chasing the ghost of Rangers past. Every step of the way they've been compared to '94 and now, fans and media alike are waiting for this years Messier to step up. It an awful lot of pressure to add on to a team that's already in a must win situation. It's a tremendous amount of added weight to put on one player when his legacy is on the line. If Lundqvist loses the next game, he is going to be known as the guy who couldn't get it done in the big spot. This has got to be the only team thats not only had to win, but expected to live up to the teams of the past. When the Giants won the Super Bowl this year, the only reason they were compared to 2007 is because half the players and coaches are still on the team. No one looked at '91 or '86. When the Yankees went to the World Series in '09, no one said, this team doesn't meet the standard of the 1927, 1961, 1998 or any of the 23 other championship Yankee teams. Even the Devils who won 9 years ago don't get compared to the '03 team. It's all about the now. But the Rangers are not only playing the NJ Devils tomorrow, they're playing their history too and it's all because of the guarantee from eighteen years ago that Ranger fans love so much. It was great then and they thump their chest about it every chance they get. But what they didn't consider or realize is it hurts them today and every other time they'll be in this situation. Win or lose, it will always be mentioned that no one made the promise Mark did 1994 and this team doesn't have a guy anywhere near the likes of Messier. Tough shoes to fill. When it came time to resign Messier in the late 90's the Rangers made a controversial decision to let him go and the GM at the time had a pretty famous line, "How long do I have to keep paying for 1994." That guarantee looks like it'll cost the Rags forever and a perfect example of why when they're made and do happen to come true, it's better to just keep your mouth shut and let your play do the talking.
              Last edited by spacecaps; May 24, '12, 10:15 PM.

Comment

• MegoMark71
                Permanent Member
                • Dec 18, 2008

Soak it in Sean. I'm happy for you. I'm sure the Rangers fans will be crying foul, and that they were still better. Just remind them that all the points during the regular season means jack nothing if your sitting home watching the cup. I farking love this dang sport. No dis on Basketball but after the heat beat the Pacers last night, several pacers left the floor right after the game. Even the most evil man on earth tortelini shook the hand of DeBoer after the game. These 2 had harsh words all season towards each other. Sportsmanship and class to shake the hands of the team you wanted dead 5 minutes earlier. Cup should be darn good bud. I Think the Devils will have to play better at home against the Kings as the Kings haven't lost a single road game yet in the playoffs. Dang i still have to pick the Kings in 6 though. Sorry my friend.

Comment

• MegoMark71
                  Permanent Member
                  • Dec 18, 2008

Oh and one more thing, Darn right this wasn't 1994 again. Whooooooooo. Somewhere Scott Stevens is smiling.

Comment

• spacecaps
                    Second Mouse
                    • Aug 24, 2011

Well for my analysis on tonights game, I've got nothing. The Devils slayed the dragon. The train rides to the Rock next year are gonna be really, really sweet on the nights when the Rags have a game the same night as the Devils. Regardless of what happens next round, Devils just erased '94 and now have all the bragging rights over here. So glad and relieved to see the series end in 6 and not go to a 7th game. I'm gonna get a nice couple of days off and just enjoy the victory over the hated Rangers. They couldn't have done it against a more deserving team. The King is dead. His Cup still runeth empty. I'll make my pic on the Stanley Cup on Wednesday (here's a hint, it's the Devils) but for now a little victory song that everyone can sing along to.....

If you know the Rangers suck then clap your hands....

If you know the Rangers suck then clap your hands...

If you know the Rangers suck cause they never win the cup,

If you you know the Rangers suck then clap your hands!

Comment

• MegoMark71
                      Permanent Member
                      • Dec 18, 2008

Wouldn't expect you to pick it any other way man.

Comment

• Jordiway
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Aug 17, 2007

Should be a good battle between the Kings and Devils may the best team win and I hope it goes 7 games so we can have just a little more hockey.

Comment

• MegoMark71
                          Permanent Member
                          • Dec 18, 2008

Im dreading the 5 day layoff with no hockey. I can't even think about what to do the day after the cup is won. It's always a time of silence at my house.

Comment

• MegoMark71
                            Permanent Member
                            • Dec 18, 2008

I enjoyed game 1 from a hockey fanatic's point of view. Small mistakes made by both teams that will be corrected by game 2. I think were in for a great series. What an amazing pass by one of my favorite players Justin Williamson to Kopitar for that winning goal. Brodeur was amazing and made you forget he is an old man. Those saves in the 2nd and third period were something else. I know the loss stings a bit Sean but i still feel that overall Jersey played a better game one.

Comment

• MegoMark71
                              Permanent Member
                              • Dec 18, 2008

Quick was amazing in game 2 and the flat out only reason the Kings won. Jersey outplayed the Kings in every other part of the game. Tough loss last night as i really thought the Devils were going to pull it out. It's not over, but game 3 is a big one.

Comment

• spacecaps
                                Second Mouse
                                • Aug 24, 2011

The other day I was talking to someone after Game 1 and I said the Devils remind me of the '96 Yankees. They've got a good veteran presence, great role players and some up and coming superstar type rookies. Nobody expected much out of them and here they are playing for the championship. After watching this team all year, the Devils are not out of it yet. They are totally capable or rattling off 3 or 4 wins in a row. In 96 the Yankees went down 0-2 to the far superior Braves and came back and won the next 4. I'm not saying that will happen but it wouldn't phase me if it did. The last two games could have easily gone the other way and the series could be 2-0 Devils or 1-1 tied but it's not. The Kings got the breaks in overtime and they're up. They lost two heartbreaking games and there's no getting around that but sometimes, that can make a team stronger (go ask the 2001 Diamondbacks) The way the Devils win this series now is go win 2 in a row in LA (it'll be the first time the home team lost in the first 4 games) and make sure LA looses at least 1 on the road. The Devils are a great road team too so I wouldn't count them out yet. 3-0 is a mountain but 2-0 is a hill to get over. Game 5 is paramount for NJ tomorrow night.

One other thing. I do not get why this series started when it did. Wednesday was way too late to start play and then to play Game 2 on Saturday is too long a lay off between game. Yet when the teams have to travel across the country they only get one day. As the series goes on the momentum build but just look at the 1st 10 minutes of Game 1 and you can see the NHL sucked all the juice out before it got going. Too much anticipation is sometimes just as bad as none at all.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎