Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marvel Movies articles - Dr. Strange and Thor 2, Captain America 2's new director(s)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

man, he better have the overdone cartoony french accent.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^ And that crazy handle-bar mustache!!!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

To me, Batroc will always be Deja Vu from Top Secret!

My second favorite secondary character from the Zucker film Top Secret! Played memorably by British actor Jim Carter, Deja Vu is as stupid as they come but ...

Comment

• Operation:Mego
          I'm the Star Spangled Man
          • May 21, 2011

It's rumored that Alice Eve will play Ms. Marvel is The Avengers 2.
          sigpic
          The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
            Robert Redford in talks to appear in The Winter Soldier as someone in "a senior leadership role in S.H.I.E.L.D"?
            Interesting!
            http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/marv...inter-soldier/
            His character, named Pierce, will be a higher-up in S.H.I.E.L.D. It's possible he could be a combination of Agent Alexander Pierce and the classic Sgt. Nick Fury.

“I'm doing this film because it's different. It's a new thing for me... I like the idea of stepping into new territory. I'm excited by it. I also think it's a good bunch of people who really know what they're doing.”
            sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

This is reportedly a piece of concept art from TWS:

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Falcon

More images here

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Cap looks to have on both his First Avenger and Avengers costumes on in these concept/animatics. Hmm...

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Principal photography began [for TWS] on April 1, 2013, at the Raleigh Manhattan Beach Studios in Los Angeles, under the working title Freezer Burn.

Nice fake title.
                    sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Marvel One-Shots return:
                      The Hollywood Reporter has report that DMG Entertainment will release a short film titled The Prologue which features Wang Xueqi as Dr. Wu from the cut scenes from Iron Man 3.

According to Hayley Atwell, who played Peggy Carter in Captain America: The First Avenger, her character will be featured in a short film which will be included in the home video release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
                      sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        I'm still missing Joe Johnston on Cap. I don't understand why he isn't involved.

Chris
                        Just in-case you didn't see this in the other thread:

We were working on the third season of 'Community,' and we got a call from our agent saying [Marvel Studios President] Kevin Feige was a big fan of the show and wanted to know if we would come in to talk about the next 'Captain America' movie," said Joe, who was a big comic-book collector as a kid. "I think Kevin had seen the paintball episode we did on 'Community' and thought, these guys should be directing action movies."

The two-part "A Fistful of Paintballs" and "For a Few Paintballs More," a spaghetti Western and "Star Wars" parody with Chevy Chase, Alison Brie and Joel McHale unleashing a fury of paint, aired in May 2011.

The Marvel brain trust has gone against type in hiring directors for its recent spate of films. Indie director Jon Favreau made the first two "Iron Man" movies. Kenneth Brannagh, known for Shakespearean adaptations, tackled "Thor." Joss Whedon came from TV's "Angel" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" to direct "Marvel's The Avengers," which filmed major action scenes in Cleveland in 2011 and went on to become the third-top-grossing movie of all time.

"The one thing Marvel does is think outside the box," said Anthony, "going all the way back to Ang Lee directing the first 'Hulk.' They like to go outside the genre. It's a very smart thing, and it's a way to keep it fresh with audiences." Marvel was talking to several different directors, Anthony added, "but we fell in love with the script and we really wanted to do this film, so we went after it hard and ended up getting it."

"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" stars Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Samuel L. Jackson and Robert Redford. The brothers are mum on plot twists, but the film features Captain America battling his former best friend, a brainwashed Bucky Barnes, played by Sebastian Stan, who is now an assassin called the Winter Soldier.

The movie is a stand-alone story, but will incorporate themes from the first "Captain America," as well as "Iron Man 3," this year's box office king, and "Thor: The Dark World," which debuts in November. All of those story lines will then feed into the "Avengers" sequel, due in 2015.

Said Joe, "We grew up on Scorsese and Coppola and '70s crime thrillers. Truffaut was a huge influence on us. 'Shoot the Piano Player' is probably our favorite film. We like absurdist crime films, but we ended up doing comedy for 10 years."

With the chance to make a superhero movie, two things stood out.
                        "One was Captain America," said Joe, "and Kevin said he wanted to do a '70s crime thriller. Those are like our bread and butter. We've probably watched the car chases in 'The French Connection' 50 times, frame by frame."

"The other thing was that even though we're drawn to extremes in the genre, we also like to ground things," said Anthony. "In a way, Captain America is the most grounded of the main Marvel superheroes. He is basically just a man, only more so. He doesn't fly across the sky like Iron Man. He isn't from another world like Thor. He doesn't turn into a green monster."
                        Originally posted by hedrap
                        Re: Cap 2 directors.

Yeah. That's a lie.

What's the logic of hiring two guys who are rom-com/sitcom directors for a political thriller?

If you want someone who can do that, you've got numerous established and up-n-coming options. Brad Anderson is probably the best in the suspense genre right now. Why not him?
                        Anderson started out directing the romantic comedy films too; Next Stop Wonderland (1998) and Happy Accidents (2000).
                        Last edited by Operation:Mego; Jun 4, '13, 7:24 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

There an issue here, Op Mego?

Re: Anderson. 2 out of 26, over a decade ago.

Go look at his entire resume. It's desperate to compare two early comedy projects as equivalent to two guys whose entire 15+ year resume, winning emmys for comedy, as equivalent. They've done nothing else.

They are very good TV comedy directors. They would most likely make a great HBO/Netflix show.

They are on Cap 2 for purely different reasons. How and When Fiege first made contact, I could care less. But he was already associated with friends, associates and reps of theirs before that call. After You, Me and Dupree, what's the next movie? Cap 2. Everything else is TV. It's an illogical choice, unless you actually know the reason.

This may come as a shock to you, but entertainment news is PR handjobs.

How did Shane Black get IM3? The guy was irrelevant as a director. But, as everyone knew, Downey likes and trust him, so after the falling out with Marvel/Favreau, a compromise was made.

No one questions this stuff, because PR flacks will kill access to not just one project, but several.

The results will bare out next fall. People will like Cap 2 because of all the corollary stuff to A2 the tv show, but it's overall effect will be meh. It's not the directors fault. Fiege is a top-down manager. Don't believe me, go ask Alan Taylor.

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

The Marvel brain trust has gone against type in hiring directors for its recent spate of films. Indie director Jon Favreau made the first two "Iron Man" movies. Kenneth Brannagh, known for Shakespearean adaptations, tackled "Thor." Joss Whedon came from TV's "Angel" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" to direct "Marvel's The Avengers," which filmed major action scenes in Cleveland in 2011 and went on to become the third-top-grossing movie of all time.

"The one thing Marvel does is think outside the box," said Anthony, "going all the way back to Ang Lee directing the first 'Hulk.' They like to go outside the genre. It's a very smart thing, and it's a way to keep it fresh with audiences." Marvel was talking to several different directors, Anthony added, "but we fell in love with the script and we really wanted to do this film, so we went after it hard and ended up getting it."
                            Let me know if you need me to filter this load of BS into reality. The only true statement, in that entire quote, is Brannagh.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎