Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marvel Movies articles - Dr. Strange and Thor 2, Captain America 2's new director(s)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Operation:Mego
    I'm the Star Spangled Man
    • May 21, 2011

Marvel Movies articles - Dr. Strange and Thor 2, Captain America 2's new director(s)

Marvel Confirms Doctor Strange Film As Possible Part Of Avengers 2

Seems interesting. I wonder how they'll make it work realistically. However, seeing how well they did Thor, I have no worries.

Thor 2 Script Reworked By Saving Private Ryan Writer Robert Rodat

I haven’t seen SPR but it's been given nothing but praise, so he seems like a good choice.

Chris Hemsworth Sad that Kenneth Brannagh won't return for Thor 2

I think it's cool that they had such a nice bond. It's too bad he won't return to direct (I miss superhero trilogys by the same director), but I have faith in Alan Taylor.

In March 2012, it was reported that Marvel has whittled down a field of ten directors to three potential candidates; George Nolfi (The Adjustment Bureau), F. Gary Gray (The Italian Job) and brothers Anthony and Joseph Russo (Community) to helm the sequel. In April 2012, Walt Disney Studios announced that it will release the sequel to Captain America: The First Avenger on April 4, 2014. Disney stated, "The second installment will pick-up where The Avengers leaves off, as Steve Rogers continues his affiliation with Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. and struggles to embrace his role in the modern world."
    All of them seem like good choices, but I’m kind of hoping that George Nolfi gets it.
    sigpic
    The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Would love to see Strange directed by Del Toro, he'd be a perfect fit and bring a unique look to it.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Originally posted by thunderbolt
      Would love to see Strange directed by Del Toro, he'd be a perfect fit and bring a unique look to it.
      I couldn't agree more.
      sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I wish Cap 2 had Joe Johnston again. Like Richard Donner on Superman, he got the character. I'm afraid another director might not bring the character's sincerity through like Johnston.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• clemso
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 8, 2001

I would love to see a Del Toro Dr Strange movie, a cameo or team up in Avengers 2 would be nice, but not as a member of the Avengers. Besides, there's always the possibility of Defenders movie

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            I wish Cap 2 had Joe Johnston again. Like Richard Donner on Superman, he got the character. I'm afraid another director might not bring the character's sincerity through like Johnston.

Chris
            Agreed. I don't understand why they wouldn't stick with Joe Johnston after he gave the such a perfect movie.
            sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

^My feelings as well; what a great movie.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Updates!!

Thor 2:
                Before the release of The Avengers and before Patty Jenkins was replaced as the director of the sequel, Gregg stated "I’m going to be speaking with her very soon. And I’m looking forward to it because I’m a big fan of hers and I thought the movie she made was great."
                In May 2012, Mads Mikkelsen began talks to play one of the villains in Thor 2. The same day, Deadline Hollywood reported that Anthony Hopkins, who played Odin in the first film, was committed to returning in the sequel. At the end of the month, Disney moved up the release date for Thor 2 a week ahead of the previous date to November 8, 2013.
                In June 2012, Joshua Dallas announced that he will not be reprising the role of Fandral due to his commitment on the television show, Once Upon a Time. The same day, The Hollywood Reporter reported that Marvel was eyeing Zachary Levi to replace Dallas. Levi was originally up for the role in the first film but had to bow out due his commitment on Chuck. Later in June, Stellan Skarsgård confirmed that he would be returning, stating "I will try to combine Thor 2 which starts in August and goes to the end of December with the new Lars Von Trier film".

Captain America 2:
                In April 2012, Walt Disney Studios announced that it will release the sequel to Captain America: The First Avenger on April 4, 2014. Disney stated, "The second installment will pick-up where … The Avengers leaves off, as Steve Rogers continues his affiliation with Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. and struggles to embrace his role in the modern world." Later in April, it was reported that F. Gary Gray withdrew his name from consideration, choosing instead to direct the N.W.A. biopic Straight Outta Compton for New Line Cinema. In June 2012, the Russo brothers entered negotiations to direct the sequel. It was also reported that Samuel L. Jackson would return as S.H.I.E.L.D. leader Nick Fury.

Iron Man 3:
                Before the release of The Avengers Gregg stated, "I'm talking to them about doing Iron Man 3 right now, and somebody's going 'Maybe Agent Coulson should die', and I'm like, 'Hey, hey, hey! This is the best job I've ever had! Stop talking about killing Agent Coulson off'."
                Jessica Chastain was in discussions for a role in the film but bowed out due to scheduling conflicts. A post-credits scene directed by Edgar Wright may be in production, where Ant-Man confronts Chen Lu. Cobie Smulders will reprise her role as Maria Hill.

Ant-Man:
                Kevin Feige confirmed that Henry Pym is referred to in the film Thor as the friend that Dr. Selvig e-mails that had previous "experience" with S.H.I.E.L.D., though his name was cut out of the scene.
                In May, 2012, a "teaser" image of the movie was presented via Twitter by writer and director Edgar Wright. Feige stated as well that the movie was "as close as it’s ever been". On June 28, 2012, Wright Directed a Test Reel for the film.

Dr. Strange:
                In June 2010, Marvel Studios hired Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer to write Dr. Strange. While promoting for Transformers: Dark of the Moon, actor Patrick Dempsey indicated he was lobbying to play the title character.
                sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Patrick Dempsey could work as Dr. Strange. He plays overly cocky really well, and if they stick to the comic origin with Strange being an over-confident surgeon, you'll have a weird hook-up for Dempsey's "Grey's Anatomy" fanbase.

Thanks for the updates! I'm still missing Joe Johnston on Cap. I don't understand why he isn't involved.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

I wonder why Kenneth Branagh isn't returning for Thor 2? He's my favorite actor and a damn good director as well. Bummer
                    sigpic

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

I'm still missing Joe Johnston on Cap. I don't understand why he isn't involved.

Chris
                      W/out doing my research, and merely looking at the news piece above, I'd say it's a deliberate move to
                      oust the "old-timey" director and inject a "hip" urban guy director for complete contrast in approach
                      where so many other parts of the puzzle will remain the same..... most notably Evans.
                      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

As long as Evans is allowed to portray Rogers the same way (as he was in Avengers) I can deal.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jul 7, 2007

I saw in a TV interview where Joe Johnston wasn't coming back for a sequel last summer. The way he said it seemed like he was OK with it. Maybe it was his decision. But it would be great if Johnston and Branagh came back for the sequels.

Del Toro would be a perfect director for Dr. Strange, and I guess Dempsey would be O.K., but I'd prefer Hugh Laurie. Hair dye and black stache. I know he could pull off the arrogance.

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Patrick Dempsey could work as Dr. Strange. He plays overly cocky really well, and if they stick to the comic origin with Strange being an over-confident surgeon, you'll have a weird hook-up for Dempsey's "Grey's Anatomy" fanbase.

Thanks for the updates! I'm still missing Joe Johnston on Cap. I don't understand why he isn't involved.

Chris
                            I don't know that much about Strange but if they portray him as bad-*** like in the Ultimate Spider-Man episode, then I'll be happy. Kinda disappointed that Del Toro won't be directing, he seemed perfect.

You're welcome! Happy to do it! I am one of the boards (self-appointed) most important information giving source there is!

And I wish that George Nolfi had gotten the directing job. Now, knowing that Winter Soldier will be the villian, I feel that with the films he's directed, he would have been a better choice. But hey, what do I know? :shrug:

Originally posted by The Bat
                            I wonder why Kenneth Branagh isn't returning for Thor 2? He's my favorite actor and a damn good director as well. Bummer
                            I'm disappointed too. :frown: Thor was my favorite of the pre-Avengers movies. Alas, while Kenneth Branagh was the perfect director for Thor (and should not have gotten replaced), I have faith in Alan Taylor.

Originally posted by madmarva
                            I saw in a TV interview where Joe Johnston wasn't coming back for a sequel last summer. The way he said it seemed like he was OK with it. Maybe it was his decision. But it would be great if Johnston and Branagh came back for the sequels.

Del Toro would be a perfect director for Dr. Strange, and I guess Dempsey would be O.K., but I'd prefer Hugh Laurie. Hair dye and black stache. I know he could pull off the arrogance.
                            I hadn't heard that before, interesting to know. I read that if Johnston had directed it, he would've wanted Peter Dinklage to play M.O.D.O.K. and have A.I.M. involved in some way (probably connected to HYDRA or something).

IMO, I think Laurie's too old for Strange (not trying to sound mean, just what I think). I was thinking of, maybe, Orlando Bloom.
                            sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 20, 2011

Since Johnny Depp has not yet invaded the superhero genre, I still think he'd be a shoo-in to play Dr. Strange. And if you can't get GTD, just get Gore Vibinski and it would all fall into place! Or, if Depp's not your cup of tea, how about David Tennant? He'd likely do a good Strange, too!
                              sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎