Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice pics of the new Captain Action and the basic Cap America and Spidey suits.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fire Marshal Bill
    Career Member
    • Jul 25, 2010

Congrats Tom! Looking forward to pics too. The guy i was going to order mine from sold out of Caps but he said he will get more next week and hold one for me along with the Captain America and Spidey outfit sets.
    Vintage Toy Rescue
    1614-B N State Hwy 161
    Grand Prairie, TX 75050
    (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• levyguy
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 4, 2009

Thanks for the SKU info!

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Hey guys and gals. Just got back from TRU picking these up. There was only one store in Louisville that had them (in St Matthews) and when I got in there the only thing left on the shelves were two CA figures! The costumes were GONE! Thank GOD I had them hold the figure and both costume sets. The manager said they are going out the door. I'll be posting a pictorial this evening, but I am already prepared to eat crow on any criticisms I ever laid on this figure or costumes. In person, they absolutely KICK! I'm sitting here trying to figure out how I can convey that with photos. Not sure I'll be able to, but trust me when I say, YOU WILL WANT THESE. I will have to buy the deluxe outfits now. The quality is abundantly clear when you hold them in person. They absolutely touched the kid in me when I held them, so I've got to believe that will translate similar with many here. I'm going to sit here and do some "goo-goo-gah-gah" in their packages then I'll start breaking them down for photos. Oh... and the sleeves on my Captain are completely fine too.
        Last edited by MIB41; Apr 4, '12, 4:25 PM.

Comment

• Iron Mego
          Wake Up Heavy
          • Jan 31, 2010

They only had the Captain America suit at my local TRU. So they're selling well here too, or they haven't put out all the stock. I wonder if people are buying the suits thinking it's a complete figure? There was no shelf tag for the CA figure itself, only one that said something like CA Basic Costume $19.99. No Spideys which is what I was after. The Cap America suit did look pretty awesome. Paint on the masks was nicely done.
          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Teemu
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 15, 2010

I got the Captain America set...These are much better in person than the pics...really looking forward to the Thor and Iron Man sets

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Picked up two CA figures and one of each costume on my way home from work tonight at Mentor, Ohio TRU.

These are so beyond awesome I can't even describe it! I was giggling like a six year old putting the costumes on! They are easily the best Marvel toys to come out in the last decade.

I honestly can't remember when I had so much fun playing with a figure. The outfits, accessories and quality are just off the charts amazing. I think these are gonna take off like crazy.

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

This looks pretty great to me.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Round 2 And Captain Action Enterprises Announces New Marvel Costume Set - Loki - Marvel - MarvelousNews.com

Captain Action Loki Uniform for Dr. Evil Revealed!
                  Last edited by samurainoir; Apr 4, '12, 11:13 PM.
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• rche
                    channeling Bob Wills
                    • Mar 26, 2008

Loki is looking good.
                    I stopped by a TrU today and, tho the stocking clerk did know who the character Captain Action was, he had no idea there were going to be any toys like that on his shelves.

Comment

• warlock664
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 15, 2009

I got my Deluxe sets last week; I have to apologize MIB41, I intended to take some pics but have been busy working on some customs. I haven't even opened the Spider-Man set yet! They look pretty good for what they are (they have a definite retro/vintage vibe to them). My one complaint with the Cap set was the belt was a bit short and I had trouble getting it fastened (ironic, as that's one of the chief problems with vintage sets: the rubber belts shrink over the years).

Here's one quick pic I snapped of the Captain America set beside my vintage CA Captain America set:

The new Cap definitely wins the shield competition, but vintage Cap has his trusty laser rifle and pistol (?!!!) to even the odds a bit!
                      I used to have a vintage Spider-Man set, but I sold it a while back. The new set looks great, though!

Comment

• madmarva
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jul 7, 2007

wow those stands really grab you where it hurts.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by warlock664
                          I got my Deluxe sets last week; I have to apologize MIB41, I intended to take some pics but have been busy working on some customs. I haven't even opened the Spider-Man set yet! They look pretty good for what they are (they have a definite retro/vintage vibe to them). My one complaint with the Cap set was the belt was a bit short and I had trouble getting it fastened (ironic, as that's one of the chief problems with vintage sets: the rubber belts shrink over the years).

Here's one quick pic I snapped of the Captain America set beside my vintage CA Captain America set:

The new Cap definitely wins the shield competition, but vintage Cap has his trusty laser rifle and pistol (?!!!) to even the odds a bit!
                          I used to have a vintage Spider-Man set, but I sold it a while back. The new set looks great, though!
                          No worries Warlock664! I definitely understand how that goes. Thanks for sharing that cool pic. I need to extend my apologies as well. I was suppose to display an extensive pictorial last night and my evening simply got too involved. Working on that right now and it should be up shortly. Let me tell you, it was educational getting these costumes together and I'll have more than a few pointers for everyone.

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

Putting these together last night was alot of fun but also trying at times, which was surprising. So I hope these pics are as educational as they are fun. This will be a two part pictorial. The first will be about the Captain and the next will be with the costumes themselves.

All three come in the same size box. We'll start by opening the Captain.

With a simple cut of tape at the top, Cap has a inner plastic tray and insert which slides out.

From there, you can separate the tray from the insert.

A free comic is located inside the insert and pulls out easily by accessing through the top.

It was a relief to find NO wire ties in the packaging! You had two standard plastic bands which are reusable, so I made sure not to destroy them as I opened him up. The front pieces fit snug by the molded plastic but a few have a small band of tape over the top to hold them in. Good package design all around.

The Captain stands and poses nicely. I'm happy to report the hat fits snug on this figure. Almost snaps into place! So there are no more problems with keeping his hat in one position. Nice improvement. But notice that sheen coming from his legs? Well, that is actually the plastic of his legs shining through. The material here is very stretchy, but very, very thin (and thus fragile). So I would caution against buying this for a child because it would not hold up against any serious play. I believe the makers fully intended for this to be more of a display piece to pose than to be an actual toy that can tolerate the rigors of play time. You'll see that sheen on various shots below. The length of the sleeves were correct on mine so I had no problem. And because the material is so stretchy, it tends to grip, so you won't need to adjust the sleeves down when you pose him.

The back is held together by Velcro and comes apart quite easily. I prefer this to the plastic snaps from Playing Mantis which had a tendency to lock up and break off. A definite improvement here.

Now the belt and accessories. The belt buckle has two pegs on the inside which insert into two holes on the belt (sorry for the crap pic). This particular belt has flexibility and a little play so it's easy to do. Not so easy with Captain America as you will see later. Now a word of caution: TAKE OFF THE BELT AND SLIDE ALL OF THE ACCESSORIES THROUGH THE BELT! The big communicator and gun holster have clips that appear to allow you to just slide over top of the belt with it on the figure. DON'T DO THIS. Why? Because the clips are simply glued on to the accessories and pop off with almost no effort. I had to Superglue both back on. So be careful here. I didn't take any pics as I should have, probably because I was too busy cussing while fixing them. But I think you get the gist of what I'm saying.

His hands pop off like your standard 1/6 scale body. I would do this before removing his outfit too. Less pull and strain on the material and just plain easier. He has nice poseability. Unfortunately he is somewhat limited with some of the hero outfits due to the same fragile material which they all share. The chest is nicely jointed as are the elbows and knees. A nice (and much needed) update to this figure. Note the head does swivel loosely on the neck. Not terribly bad, but a little more play than I would have liked.

Well, there's a basic breakdown of the Captain. Let me know if I didn't answer any questions you might have. Now let's open the costumes...
                            Last edited by MIB41; Apr 5, '12, 7:37 AM.

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

PART II.
                              We'll start first with Spidey. Like Cap's box, a slice of some tape at the top allows you to slide the inner plastic tray out.

Like Cap he also has the adjustable plastic straps. I only loosened them enough to pull the outfit free. The outfit is dressed on a transparent plastic head and chest, which is taped to a cardboard insert to hold the outfit in place. After taking the outfit off, I placed the arrangement back inside the tray for safe keeping.

The accessories are held in by the molds in the tray and remove easily. One piece I didn't take out was the camera (located in this pic right above his left shoulder). It's SO small, it would take little to no effort to lose it. After what I went through with Cap's accessories, I didn't test fate anymore.

Putting on the outfit itself was fine. It also attached in the back with Velcro. On Spidey the pattern matched up quite nicely. But yes, the thin material once again gave that infamous 'sheen' to his body. The tag inside said it was made from 100% polyester. So I guess that's what we have here.

Now putting on his gloves might be a little trying for you. Like the 1/6th scale you need to line up the peg so it will insert down into the little hole inside the hand/glove. The problem here is the glove is so long, you don't get good leverage to fit it in. And it took many tries before it got either side in. My first, best, technique was to bend his arm at a 90 degree angle and push the glove in while twisting it back and forth to make sure it fits in. Be sure the peg is not positioned up or down, but straight ahead when sliding the glove on. If you get it out of position and push too hard, you could break that peg and then your looking at having to buy pegs from another line to fix this problem. Another good reason why kids should not play with this. I'll admit this was frustrating.

To my surprise, the mask was a very tight fit. Now I got it on there, but it took some playing around to get the lip of the mask under his chin. On most reviews I've seen, no one did this right. The mask stopped right at the jaw line. It goes under it as these pics show.

The boots slide on easy and he looks cool when completed. Poseability was a problem here though. The outfit is so tight around the crotch area, it did not provide enough play to allow him to pose the way many of us would probably like. So I was disappointed there. I took several shots from different angles so you could see how the outfit stretches. It has some bad stress points in the butt area, so you want to be careful not to force a pose if the outfit is not cooperating. The boots are nice, but the thick rubber will not allow his feet much mobility in a pose. If your not seeing a variety of poses here, it's because I couldn't get him in many. The outfit simply would not permit.

Cosmetically the outfit is great looking. I have nothing but praise in that department. It does carry a strong resemblance to John Romita's Spider-man. But the fabric used here was a big downer because he becomes little more than a statue with a cloth outfit on. Yes, you can pose him some, but nothing in the traditional Spidey fashion. A child would have this outfit ripped out in five minutes, so this definitely stays with the collectors.

Cap's unpacking is the same as Spidey, so nothing new there, except you will find two loose pieces inside. These are the straps for Cap's shield. Make sure to look for them when opening the package. They attach easily to the back using their peg system.

The outfit lines up with Velcro, but on my figure, the pattern didn't line up quite as nicely as it did with Spidey. But overall not bad.

The gloves go on much easier here because the extensions are not so long. Once again, just make sure your peg is facing forward when you push it in. The boots are nice, but have a slight stickiness to them. I hope that doesn't degrade over time. Something to watch. Fitting the mask is a little easier here, but once again getting the lip of the mask under his chin too some playing around.

The only frustration with Cap was his belt. The belt is shorter than the Captain Action version, so you will have a harder time getting those snaps to take. But once they get in there, they hold pretty good. His arm slides nicely through the straps on the shield and holds pretty good. Ironically Cap's outfit allowed more poseability than Spidey's. He had a better fit in the crotch area, so that freed up his ability to move more.

Compared to the Playing Mantis line, this is a better figure. Better bodies and better design. Cosmetically the outfits look better but are not remotely as durable as Ideal's version or Playing Mantis. There may be some question about how well they hold up over time.

I also tried putting the Spider-man outfit on a Playing Mantis Cap and it looked crappy, so don't bother trying to customize.

And finally here's Cap's outfit back in the box, illustrating how everything can be taken out and put right back in (straps and all). Great design Round 2!

Overall this was a fun line to pick up. The costumes look great in person and really bring the kid out in you. The packaging is top notch and probably the best in the history of the figure. But there were also some unexpected problems. The loss of poseability due to the costume's fragile nature was a bummer given it's great look. The pegs were a great idea, but the gloves for Spiderman proved to be more problematic than they should have been. This adds an additional risk to breaking the pegs and thus ruining the figure. And the accessories while very cool, broke too easily when sliding over the belt on the Captain Action figure. A better design or some instructions warning of this risk would have been a good idea here. So this line has some bugs to work out in the durability department. But cosmetically speaking they really pop. Should you buy these? My contention is yes. These are pretty unique and while there are some drawbacks, I think the positives outweigh the negatives. Just be careful when assembling the various parts. Hope this review was helpful.
                              Last edited by MIB41; Apr 5, '12, 9:45 AM.

Comment

• rche
                                channeling Bob Wills
                                • Mar 26, 2008

thanks for the pictorial. Looking forward to getting my sets of these in the post. Hope it happens this week.

I like the look of the Spidey outfit on the PM cappy body. Did you try pulling the hands off the PM and placing the gloves of the set on the forearms? I would not think there would be much of a range of movement with the hands on those long gloves, so that would not necessarily be a problem if you were only posing the outfit on a doll.

I plan on giving a Spidey set to my son, so I am glad to know the outfit is tight. I will probably splice a bit of extra 'sock' on to the costume so that it will not be so difficult to manipulate the toy. Hopefully Round2 is taking notes on all the discussions concerning sleeves, belts, and materials.

I was also thinking that splitting the gloves/cuffs might be a little more conducive for play and display. Sort of like the castaway gauntlet system. Slide the cuff/gauntlet over the sleeve - then pop the hand on. If the gauntlets were properly sized and covered just over the connector, you could have more movement and still retain the look of the cuff.

thanks again for the pics

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎