• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Dinosaur model kits

So;

I found a good site for the old Aurora Prehistoric Scenes kits; but I haven't been able to track down any info on the OTHER dino kits from the time. So I was wondering if you folks knew any. I'm especially interested in:

-the old Life Like glue kits.
    -the wind-up walking dinos. I remember a Stegosaurus; and have seen pics of a Triceratops and T-Rex. The ones I remember were made in Japan and had little rubber washers on the bottom of the feet.
    -three kits; a T-Rex, Triceratops and Stegosaurus, that were released with dioramas featuring cavemen, and a lot of informational paperwork. They were re-released back in the late 80's by Lindberg, but I don't know if that's who originally put them out.

Plus any other kits of the day. I know there's been a lot of newer dino kits; but I'm interested in the older, stylized ones.

Don C.
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

One of the best dino models where made by Horizon.

Horizon originally had released dino models, and they were not bad.

But then they got the rights for the Jurassic Park ones, and those were just awesome, unbelievable detail.

I had them all, but never got into actually building them and sold them all on ebay.

Both the Raptor and T Rex are great.

Horizon Raptor built:

Dan Perez Studios -- Gallery

Velociraptor by Steve Budd (Horizon 1/6)

Horizon - Jurassic Park Raptor / Velociraptor 1/5 Scale Model Kit /-Figure Dreams-\

Horizon T-Rex:

http://www.myjurassicpark.com/t-rexm...l.artwork4.jpg

Horizon - Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurus Rex 1/20 Scale Model Kit /-Figure Dreams-\

The only negative is that both models are pretty much the same size, and as you know, the T Rex was much, much, larger than a Raptor:

http://www.myjurassicpark.com/t-rex....l.artwork5.jpg

Despite the T Rex being 1/20 scale and the raptor 1/5 scale, the wind up the same size as models.

Horizon Jurassic Park series also made the Spitter and the Brachiosaurus (HUGE).

Brachiosaurus:

http://www.myjurassicpark.com/brachiosaur-jp-kit.jpg

eBay.com.my: Jurassic Park Brachiosaurus Model kit Horizon 1/19 (item 320191226660 end time Dec 06, 2007 11:41:57 MYT)

Spitter:

http://www.myjurassicpark.com/spitterkit.jpg

OH MY GOD...THIS IS MY PICTURE!!!

LOL!!!

I sold this one on ebay, that's my former Spitter, and that's my kitchen black uba tuba countertop, lol!!!

Arrivage du Dilophosaure Horizon Original dans la série Jurassic Park The Ginko Leaf

Last edited by Hector; Jan 7, '08, 3:48 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Check out the nice detail and wild colors of this Horizon Jurassic Park Spitter:

sigpic

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
        Career Member
        • May 14, 2007

Originally posted by ctc
        So;

I found a good site for the old Aurora Prehistoric Scenes kits; but I haven't been able to track down any info on the OTHER dino kits from the time. So I was wondering if you folks knew any. I'm especially interested in:

-the old Life Like glue kits.
        -the wind-up walking dinos. I remember a Stegosaurus; and have seen pics of a Triceratops and T-Rex. The ones I remember were made in Japan and had little rubber washers on the bottom of the feet.
        -three kits; a T-Rex, Triceratops and Stegosaurus, that were released with dioramas featuring cavemen, and a lot of informational paperwork. They were re-released back in the late 80's by Lindberg, but I don't know if that's who originally put them out.

Plus any other kits of the day. I know there's been a lot of newer dino kits; but I'm interested in the older, stylized ones.

Don C.

Don here is THE site for Aurora PS kits:

Aurora Prehistoric Scenes Models

Bob

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
          Pat Troughton in disguise
          • Nov 21, 2007

I know in the UK Airfix brought out a T-Rex, Triceratops and stegosaurus. As the company recently had problems it is unsure if these will be reissued (now taken over by hornby)...they were ok kits though at about 1/72 scale I suppose.
          ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I think Airfix had their own line back in the day too.... I remember an Ankylosaurus kit. But I never had any of them.

And the spitter is nifty!

Don C.

Comment

• Mabataille
              • Jan 20, 2008

Hi,
              thanks for ilustrating this forum with my spitter pictures (and yours - pretty kitchen black uba tuba countertop btw lol).

You can follow my work here (there's the brachiosaur too just a few post after the spitter)
              vinyl kit from Horizon

From this link, next week, you'll be able to see my triceratops from Horizon, very impressive piece of art imho, that I finished last week.

mabataille

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                Pat Troughton in disguise
                • Nov 21, 2007

There's been some new (I think) dinosaur kits advertised in a few modelling magazines I get....there's a Triceratops, styracosaurous and a wooly mammoth...I'll get the details for you when i'm back home if you want.
                Last edited by Bo8a_Fett; Jan 22, '08, 10:56 PM.
                ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

>There's been some new (I think) dinosaur kits advertised in a few modelling magazines I get

I think those are the reissues from Revel. They're made with the old Aurora molds; although some of the bases have been cropped or omitted. I'm hoping they reissue the T-Rex. Revel Germany reissued it back in the 90's, so I'm hoping the molds are still usable.

Don C.

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                    Career Member
                    • May 14, 2007

Originally posted by ctc
                    >There's been some new (I think) dinosaur kits advertised in a few modelling magazines I get

I think those are the reissues from Revel. They're made with the old Aurora molds; although some of the bases have been cropped or omitted. I'm hoping they reissue the T-Rex. Revel Germany reissued it back in the 90's, so I'm hoping the molds are still usable.

Don C.
                    Don't count on it Don. Sales on the reissues have been fair to poor at best. The 90's and 80's reissues of the T-rex are your best bet. I know cause that's the only way I was able to get 2 of them.

Bob

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>Sales on the reissues have been fair to poor at best. The 90's and 80's reissues of the T-rex are your best bet.

You're absolutely right, and my T-Rex is the first Monogram reissue too. (I need one more though.) But it's always possible. If the molds still exist and dinosaurs have another wave of popularity they MIGHT reissue it. (Or repackage unsold current stock...) I was surprised Revell Germany reissued it in the 90's.

I've been surprised with a few reissues the last couple of years. (Like the reissue of the old FunDimensions Gigantics.)

Don C.

Comment

• Mabataille
                        • Jan 20, 2008

watchable here

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
                          Career Member
                          • Jun 10, 2007

That Darga Trike looks great!!

I got both the Darga Trike and T-Rex also. They both 3/4's built but I lost interest in finishing them about 5 years ago and now sit my my basment collecting dust. One of these days I plan on finishing them.
                          They just take up too much room!! They are both HUGH!

Lynn

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
                            Career Member
                            • Jun 10, 2007

I'm a big fan of the Aurora Prehistoric scenes and their reissues.
                            I had a bunch of the them when I was a kid, but they all dissappered with time.
                            I got most of them back either as origonals or the reissues.
                            Most will be built when/as I get the urge to do so.
                            What is cool with the new Revel reissues is that you can get resin replacment parts for the missing parts that were omitted in the kits on CultmanTV model web site. I gotta get the missing dragon fly parts that go with the sail back reptile. I did get the resin bases when I ordered mine, but not the missing dragonfly parts.

Lynn

Comment

• ctc
                              Fear the monkeybat!
                              • Aug 16, 2001

I had a box of bits from my Aurora dino kits. When I moved in here I made a point of building a table big enough for the whole display, and set about finishing my set. There are a few places you can get replacement parts nowadays. Aurora Prehistoric Scenes Models is THE best site for the kits, and they have links to sites doing NEW Prehistoric Scenes kits too. (Now I need some money....) thepartspit.com is good too; and they have links to Borealis, who do repro bases fro some of the rare kits. And I think retroresin.com has repro'd the Tar Pit.

Currently I am grim, bound, and determined to finish the whole scene. I wouldn't mind finishing the old Life Like dino kits too; but I haven't found a good list of what all they produced. Those NEW dino kits are spectacular; but I'm trying REALLY HARD to resist....

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎