Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cabin in the Woods

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    ...my friend found Cabin to be "funny"...
    I haven't seen it yet because I don't care for Joss Whedon, but I keep hearing from friends that it's a comedy. I realize it also has a (I don't believe this qualifies as a spoiler, due to vagueness) Lovecraftian ending, and those things are about as far apart as possible. So I'm guessing it's utterly inane or a work of genius. I'll wait for DVD and hope it rocks socks.

Images
    I like this movie alot. I saw it last weekend and was surprised with how good it was. I highly recommend watching it.
    Sammy

Images
    Dont read this if you havent seen the film.....

Just saw it today and I guess I enjoyed it cause it was fun but I wasn't blown away by it. This isn't going to be the next Saw or 6th Sense or "Awesome Horror Movie That Changes The Way Horror Movies Are Made For The Next Decade" (which is what I think they were trying to do.) The writing was shotty, the reveal at the end was kind of silly, and while I guess they were going for cliche, there were too many cliches. But I can look past all that....here's what killed it for me...The Previews. I went into this movie knowing nothing about it except what I saw in the the coming attractions and what they showed was waaayyyy to much for a movie like this. They should have shown a minimum of the film and nothing...NOTHING!!! from the end of the movie. That scene where they find the elevator was so towards the end it was a dead giveaway to what was coming and "Shaggy" was so prevalent in the previews, when he died I was like..wait he's not dead cause they didn't get to this scene or that line from the coming attractions. I'm not sure if a movie has ever been spoiled as much as this one was by the coming attraction and it's not like i watched it over and over again. I saw it maybe 3 times.

Oh and the bad writing.....I seriously thought Shaggy was going to turn out to be the virgin they kept making out to be so important throughout the movie which would have been a much better ending than what they came up with. I mean they went out of their way to explain the whole student/teacher affair and then make mention that Shaggy made out with the hot blonde once but it went no where, it totally made sense to have it go down like that but instead we get the "We work with what we have" line that just explained everything away. I guess you can call that classic misdirection but with all the other horror movie cliches they throw out at you, that argument doesn't hold water. You just can't have a clever movie with bad writing like that.

I also kept thinking about what could have been if they chose, the puzzle box or IT or the ghost instead of generic zombies when they were in the basement. This could have been such a cool springboard to bring some classic horror movie monsters back and make them relevant again but instead we get nondescript zombie family. And why were there unicorns? I guess it was "every fantastical creature ever" but they all seemed to be evil creatures and a murderous unicorn shows up!?. What would have been really cool is instead of showing the idea of a character like Hellraiser, it would have been awesome to show the actual Pinhead and other characters that were obvious knock offs of the real thing. I'm sure they could CGI those things into a movie but I guess licensing and all get in the way. Like I said, its a fun movie (probably should have come out around Halloween) but it's not the coming of the next greatest thing. They also painted themselves into a corner when it comes to making a sequel which may actually be a good thing. It's getting a lot of comparison to Cube and I gotta say, I liked Cube better.
    Last edited by spacecaps; Apr 26, '12 at 12:06 AM.
    "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Images
    I don't know. I thought it was a hoot. I could have lived without the Unicorn and the Merman should have been better.

I don't know. Watching a guy get killed by a Unicorn really made my day.

What a good movie. I enjoyed the whole thing. Working at a movie theater, the credits can also be important. I'm a huge NIN fan and getting an old angry NIN song for the credits makes me happy.

Images
    What happened during the credits? I stayed till the end and got nothing. And don't get me wrong, the movie was fun and enjoyable but it's what I call a "Surface Movie" which is when a movie,on the surface, is good entertainment but once you delve deeper then what's in front of you, all the flaws become glaring. There are a lot of good movies out there like this but it's what separates a good movie from a great one. I liked Cabin for what it was, but it didn't change my life or anything.
    "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Images
    The movie was by no means life-changing. That being said, no film has ever changed my life.

I thought there was some nice commentary on what's popular and how it affects screen writers and how they are often trapped between the desires of the producers and whims of the fans. The suits want horror movies because they're generally cheap and post a good return on investment to satiate their hunger, and the teens pick the flavor of the monster by buying tickets. Zombies are in now, but Pinhead and werewolves were once the horror of choice. The screen writers just plug in the ingredients the best they can to please both crowds and then are generally eaten alive creatively by the process that ultimately turns on them.

Just saw it. I loved it. I could pick it apart like others have, but in all honesty it was simply enjoyable for what it was.
    NEED:
    Super Powers Figures
    Cyborg

Super Powers Accessories:
    Wonder Woman's Lasso
    Shazam's Cape
    Green Arrow's Arrows

Items I need. - Mego Talk

Good Traders List - Page 82 - Mego Talk

Toyman_Chris's Card List Of Trades! - Mego Talk

http://stores.ebay.com/toymancollectables

It's my "Happy Place"!
    Mego Talk

Images
    Spoilery...

I liked it... my wife hated it. A plot-hole that bothered me...

The suits acted like the kids had choices to make that could have saved themselves. Like when they met the creepy old gas-station guy at the beginning. They said something to the effect of... "this was a warning to them that they didn't heed... they could have turned around right there."

Yet, unless I'm wrong, the whole premise of the movie was that these kids had to die in a sacrifice to appease the underground gods or certain destruction would come at midnight (or whatever the hour was)

So... if the world depends upon it, why do they wait until the last day of the "contract" to see that this scenario plays out? What if the kids turned around and never went in? Is there a back-up plan?

Yes, this ritual was being performed by branches of the organization all around the world remember? That is why they were so ****ed off that the Japanese school girls vanquished their particular cultural monster. It was assumed that at least one of the rituals worldwide would succeed.