X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

torchwood??!!

I have been trying to get into this series as a tangent from the modern DW, but it is a really rough road.

Not sure why Cap Jack seems like a swashbuckler in the DW serials, but more of a wooden caricature in his own show??
    My wife and I barely made it through the cybergal show and then we were confronted with the super gross out of the serial killer farmland 'countrycide' episode.

My question.... Does it ever really get better, or should I just give up now?

second question.... if it does get better; which episode should I skip ahead to in order to get there.

thanks.
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

I'm afraid it gets no better, in my opinion.

I gave up watching it long ago.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• danadoll
      Micronaut Nut!
      • Apr 11, 2005

I really liked "The Children of Earth" 3rd season/miniseries and the Torchwood Starz miniseries was also pretty good...The TV series' first two seasons were lacking, though IMHO.
      "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

I like Torchwood a lot.
        True, the last season, Miracle Day, (where they went to the US) was bad, but what comes before that was great.
        Season 2 and 3 were very good, and what happens to the team, especially to Toshiko, Owen and Ianto is really dramatic and very well written.
        Children of Earth was one of the best pieces of television writing, IMO. Strong stuff.
        If you just start at season 2, you have some great episodes coming.
        But that's just my opinion, mind you.
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 14, 2012

The first few seasons of Torchwood, while not holding a candle to Who, are reasonably watchable, edging on enjoyable, IMO.

The last series (Miracle Day) was absolutely atrocious. While the plot line was about an inability to die, I found myself almost wishing for an unexpected coronary to save me from further episodes.
          Even My Henchmen Think I'm Crazy.

Comment

• wolfie
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 31, 2007

If you thought Countrycide was a rubbish episode i would leave now.

If you want to try a longer story watch Children of Earth.

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

It's one of them things you like, or you don't. It's different from most sci-fi tv, and has a habit of rubbing fans the wrong way. I like it a lot; but I've always liked stuff that's different.

Don C.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

One of my fav's from season-1 is They Keep Killing Suzie

Give that one a try

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I love watching Torchwood, it's one of those shows my wife and I both enjoy so I tend to be less crabby about it.

It's not groundbreaking science fiction, in fact it has a lot of the RTD "deus ex machina" going on there as well but what it does have is good, solid character development. That and it's views on sexuality are somewhat refreshing.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

Skip straight to Children of Men IMHO, and then don't even bother with the american version unless you are a die hard fan. In that last series it seemed like they tried to somewhat send up the style of american shows like 24, but it just came off as a bit too scattershot without any of the payoff for stretching out the storyline into so many cliffhangers.
                    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Miracle Day would have been a great four part mini series....
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toothaction
                        Career Member
                        • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by palitoy
                        Miracle Day would have been a great four part mini series....
                        Agreed! The bones were solid but the fat content was unbearable.

Bigger on the first two series than many, for much the same reasons as palitoy cited, but Children of Earth was really where it's at. That said, without all the comings and goings of the previous years under your belt, I can see much of CoE being considerably less satisfying.

Anybody checking out the audio adventures from Big Finish? Haven't given them a listen myself, but word on them was positive.
                        >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎