X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4NDR01D
    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
    • Jan 22, 2008

John Carter (of Mars) toys????

Anybody know if this film has any toys to tie into it, I mean it's $250 million dollar Disney film set on Mars with monsters and aliens, seems like there would be some toys to go with this. My Tars Tarkas bendy (from Tarzan) is just not enough.
  • Splitty
    Career Member
    • Jan 25, 2012

I don't care how bad the movie is, I would totally buy any monsters and aliens they made.

Of course, I was HIGHLY disappointed because they didn't make any from the new lame Clash of the Titans. No new Kraken? FAIL.
    I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• 4NDR01D
      • Jan 22, 2008

I think company's are very apprehensive about making action figures based on movies these days. (Tron, Avatar, the "other" Avatar: Last Air Bender) all seemed to make their way to the discounted racks fairly swiftly.
      It seems even a blockbuster movie isn't enough these days, they have to have a whole culture built around it.
      The figures that seem to sell well at Walmart and toys R Us seem to have that. I'm thinking Spider-Man, Batman, Iron-Man, Star Wars (of course). They're also supported by video games, straight to video DVD movies and cartoons, t-shirts, PJ's, Bikes, Skateboards etc. There has to be more to market than just the movie and action figures? I dunno, would really like to hear from somebody with current toy company/marketing knowledge.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
        • Jan 22, 2008

I realize Avatar:last air bender had a cartoon to support the toy line, but that movie just flat out sucked, so it's no wonder the toyline tanked. I do want to get one of those fuzzy monsters though.

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

I haven't seen any officially licensed Disney product, but Triad Toys has done John Carter and Dejah Thoris (I'm assuming as public domain figures).

TRIAD TOYS 1/6 DELUXE CLASSIC JOHN CARTER OF MARS ACTION FIGURE BRAND NEW | eBay
          Triad Toys John Carter Of Mars/Dragon | eBay
          Triad Toys John Carter of Mars Tars Tarkas MIX Statue | eBay
          eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
          eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Last edited by samurainoir; Mar 1, '12, 2:07 AM.
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• BlackKnight
            The DarkSide Customizer
            • Apr 16, 2005

^^^ Them Triad figures are Bank.
            The 4 armed monster is so cool .....
            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Robin NY
              Museum Super Collector
              • Nov 13, 2008

I have the Triad John Carter and it is a very cool figure

Comment

• BlackKnight
                The DarkSide Customizer
                • Apr 16, 2005

Now I do Have this ...

And it is 8inch Mego Scale.
                It's the Actor Who is John Carter in the Disney Flick.
                ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
                  70's Era Pimp
                  • Sep 7, 2011

I really want the Tarkas....wow! So cool!

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

LOVE the four armed Monster!
                    sigpic

Comment

• nobody
                      banjo!
                      • Jan 26, 2012

It looks like you could get a Swampthing custom head and add tusks to pull off that alien. I just saw a Swampthing head on ebay.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                        That 80's guy
                        • Jul 27, 2011

This will probably be another missed opportunity. Theres a total lack of cool fantasy figures on the shelves these days a far cry from the eighties when the first Conan inspired all kinds of fantasy toy lines.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
                          I think company's are very apprehensive about making action figures based on movies these days. (Tron, Avatar, the "other" Avatar: Last Air Bender) all seemed to make their way to the discounted racks fairly swiftly.
                          It seems even a blockbuster movie isn't enough these days, they have to have a whole culture built around it.
                          The figures that seem to sell well at Walmart and toys R Us seem to have that. I'm thinking Spider-Man, Batman, Iron-Man, Star Wars (of course). They're also supported by video games, straight to video DVD movies and cartoons, t-shirts, PJ's, Bikes, Skateboards etc. There has to be more to market than just the movie and action figures? I dunno, would really like to hear from somebody with current toy company/marketing knowledge.
                          Good points. But it also has to make you wonder when they DO get a well recognized license for film, they saturate the marketplace with very cheap looking merchandise. It kind of makes the point that if the industry believes a license can sell itself, they don't put any effort into the product. If they have to sell the license then that requires ingenuity and creative thinking at the toy level... No takers.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Figuremod73
                            Theres a total lack of cool fantasy figures on the shelves these days a far cry from the eighties when the first Conan inspired all kinds of fantasy toy lines.
                            Yeah, it's kind of a bummer. No Wrath of the Titans toys either. On the upside there will be Hobbit action figures this fall.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• johnnystorm
                              Hot Child in the City
                              • Jul 3, 2008

There were John Carter figures about 10 years or so ago in Trendmasters Tarzan the Epic Adventures Line. I have a pretty cool Tars Tarkas 6" figure from it. I think they show up pretty often cheap at the flea markets.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎