Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets fans unite!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WannabeMego
    Made in the USA
    • May 2, 2003

I have a few pieces I got from my visits to Japan that I don't see on the web often...not too poseable...as well as some American released pieces.

I do have all the DVD's that were released of all the episodes with the Alex Ross Covers to each case.

I have more interesting pieces for Lupin, Harlock, and Yamato...all together, my 4 most favorite Anime/Mangas.

...forgot about Galaxy Express and Queen Millenia...
    Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• starsky
      veteran member
      • Aug 26, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
      http://megomuseum.com/custom/posterity/pics/ml02.JPG

Yep, still have it. This picture is really old and crappy tho.
      sweet brain!!

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

I would have killed for one of those lunchboxes when I was a kid. I don't think anyone in my school had that.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I have vague recollections of this series from early childhood. I recall really liking it, but I think I called them "Bird People". I remember ads for their comic in a few of my Disney comics of the day. I remember thinking the bad guy looked like an evil Batman.

I remember when I was a teen they were reaired here as G-Force. I've never really tried to get into the storyline, but I still really love the designs.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by WannabeMego
            I have a few pieces I got from my visits to Japan that I don't see on the web often...not too poseable...as well as some American released pieces.

I do have all the DVD's that were released of all the episodes with the Alex Ross Covers to each case.

I have more interesting pieces for Lupin, Harlock, and Yamato...all together, my 4 most favorite Anime/Mangas.

...forgot about Galaxy Express and Queen Millenia...
            I would love to see pics of your collection Tom!

I don't know why Lupin was never as popular here in North America... I guess the others had a leg up in that Star Blazers and BotP were translated (was Harlock syndicated in English? I always saw it in French)

I first ran across the character here as a kid playing the video game Cliffhanger. Not realizing until years later that it used clips from the animated movie directed by my all time favourite animator, Hayao Miyazaki.
            Last edited by samurainoir; Mar 3, '12, 1:36 PM.
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

>What's the opinion on Gatchaman 2 and Gatchaman Fighter?

2 is pretty bad.... entertaining in a way (mostly a MST3K way) but still pretty bad. You can tell they were trying for something more marketable, and all the designs are REALLY busy and overdone. As my friend Chad said: "If only we had the Gatchatank.... only 1500 yen at your local Daiei."

I've never seen Fight, although I've heard it's not bad.

>Did folks like the OVA series?

Hmmmm.... they're okay. If you've watched a fair bit of 900's Japanese stuff you can see how they were trying really hard to make it "contemporary," and I thought that undid some of the heaviness of the original. The end is kind of neat, when you find out where Doc Nambu got the idea for the team from.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I didn't mind series 2 but prefer the movie version that wraps it up.

Series 3 is really kiddified and dull IMO, it lacks the spark of the earlier versions. Boring villain, dull ships, it all just kind of sits there.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• starsky
                  veteran member
                  • Aug 26, 2007

so tempted to get this one too!!

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

As a kid, I came back from a visit to Asia, and told all the kids at school about these awesome new episodes of Battle of the Planets I saw overseas. Where they had a new Phoenix that combined from individual vehicles, and instead of fiery phoenix mode, Mark climbed on top of the ship brandishing a sword as the whole thing turned green to face down the bad guy at the end of each episode.

No one beleived me of course. It wasn't until decades later that I saw these again and discovered that it was Gatchaman Fighter I had seen in my childhood.

Comment

• livnxxxl
                      Megoholic RocketScientist
                      • Oct 23, 2007

The fiery Phoenix mode is awesome!
                      Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Another lunchbox fro $20 starting!
                        BATTLE OF THE PLANETS 1979 METAL LUNCH BOX NO THERMOS KING-SEELEY THERMOS | eBay

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

The black cy-girls Jun variant was always pretty neat looking to me. Did she ever actually wear a black costume? Where did they get the idea for a variant like this from?
                          cy girls Perfect Body - Black Gatchaman figures 12 inch | eBay

Comment

• supes
                            For the love of Mego's!
                            • Jan 19, 2004

Dude that Phoenix is AWESOME! How expensive is that? Would love to see it with the vehicles out.

Originally posted by MIB41
                            I have the two Medicom BOTP Mark and Jason figures. I also have the six inch figures they put out about 10 years ago. I also picked up the score to the series about 15 years ago. A must have for any fan. But my prize possession is a detailed, die cast replica of the Phoenix. Complete with all the vehicles that load into it just like in the show.

http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/file...OTPPhoenix.jpg

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• jacoblb
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 7, 2009

Originally posted by samurainoir
                              The black cy-girls Jun variant was always pretty neat looking to me. Did she ever actually wear a black costume? Where did they get the idea for a variant like this from?
                              cy girls Perfect Body - Black Gatchaman figures 12 inch | eBay
                              http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...ygatchaman.jpg
                              Whoa. Never seen that before. It's probably the Bryan Singer/Hollywood costume

Comment

• johnmiic
                                Adrift
                                • Sep 6, 2002

There's a new die-cast Phoenix coming out this summer but it's not nealy as sleek-looking as the first die-cast release of 10 years ago:

EX Gokin God Phoenix (G-5) | HobbyLink Japan

And a new die-cast version of this vehicle:

EX Gokin New God Phoenix | HobbyLink Japan

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎