Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets fans unite!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryPlaysWithDolls
    Mighty Man/Monster Maker
    • Aug 14, 2007

I don't know much about the cartoon, but the designs are AWESOME. I have the guy in the brown 12 inch. Pretty slick!

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
    https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

I do have a question though... In the Battle of the Planets incarnation they always left the gender question up in the air. Since BOTP was essentially spliced from Gatchaman, did that version actually answer the question? Japanese animation sometimes has a unisex quality to it when the guys are wearing long hair. You don't really know. I remember Emeraldknight and myself watching that faithfully every day until the series was over. And the only reveal we ever got was when Jason got a flash of Zoltar as the mask came off buried in a flow of hair. We were aggravated that the show never really answered that question. So what was Zoltar?
      That moment always stayed with me too, ever since I first saw the episode as a kid. Too bad the westernized version never dealt with it further.

In Gatchaman, Berg Katse (Zoltar) was a mutant created through the genetic fusion of twins... he had both male and female genetic components and often switched gender completely. He had difficulty controlling the sex shifts, until he/she eventually learned to master it.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
        That moment always stayed with me too, ever since I first saw the episode as a kid. Too bad the westernized version never dealt with it further.

In Gatchaman, Berg Katse (Zoltar) was a mutant created through the genetic fusion of twins... he had both male and female genetic components and often switched gender completely. He had difficulty controlling the sex shifts, until he/she eventually learned to master it.
        Interesting tidbit of info on Zoltar. Makes the character make a lot more sense now. Thanks for that, BB!
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

>In Gatchaman, Berg Katse (Zoltar) was a mutant created through the genetic fusion of twins...

Yeah; that's why there seemed to be two different ones.

I loved the show as a kid, and when I was at the U I finally got to see the original Japanese version, and loved it more. It's kinda fun to watch the different versions and compare. The Japanese one was WAY more serious. Best example: the episode with the robot centipede. The team runs into the daughter of one of the scientists killed when it attacked the lab, and end up taking her on the final attack. When the beast shows itself, Ken/Mark tells her she can avenge her father by pushing the button to launch a missile. She can't do it. In the BOTP version he tells her the revenge doesn't solve anything, and fires the missile himself. In the Gatchaman version, he smacks her, calls her weak and fires the missile himself.

The BOTP comic that came out a few years back was pretty good too; it's a hybrid of the two versions.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I've said it before but I met my wife thanks to Battle of the Planets. So thank you Sandy Frank....
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Emeraldknight and myself were discussing this last night. And we both feel that BOTP and '67 Spiderman have some of the best event music/scores in animation history. Just beautiful pieces of work that lend so much to the viewing experience.

Comment

• starsky
                veteran member
                • Aug 26, 2007

one of my favorite cartoons! have most the popy vehicles and figures for these guys as well as the 6 inch figures from diamond. i love the ceiji sculpt of mark/ken.

thought about getting the newly released fewture die cast vehicles but it's too much money!!
                Last edited by starsky; Mar 2, '12, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by MIB41
                  Emeraldknight and myself were discussing this last night. And we both feel that BOTP and '67 Spiderman have some of the best event music/scores in animation history. Just beautiful pieces of work that lend so much to the viewing experience.
                  Hoyt Curtain did the BOTP Soundtrack, the guy pretty much wrote every memorable Saturday morning theme in the 1970s.

He also had two songs appear in Ed Wood's Plan 9 from Outer Space!

Comment

• starsky
                    veteran member
                    • Aug 26, 2007

palitoy, i remember you had a custom mego joe/jason figure which looked pretty good!

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Yep, still have it. This picture is really old and crappy tho.

Comment

• raider5gt
                        Museum Tree Cutter
                        • Nov 25, 2007

I loved this show as a kid,i used to rush home from school to watch it,i still have a soft spot for it,been umming and arghing about getting the dvds but they are expensive over here,maybe one day.

Love the custom of Jason B and Kingdom Warrior,those medicom figures are cool.Hope to get Mark real soon.

Never stand behind a cow when it sneezes.

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

What's the opinion on Gatchaman 2 and Gatchaman Fighter? (AKA Eagle Riders to some)

Did folks like the OVA series? I really liked it when I got 100th generation fan sub back in the day, and the flood of new merchandise was a plus.
                          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Metal...item35ba11a05b

BATTLE OF THE PLANETS 1 2 3 4 GOLD KEY COMICS HARD FINDS | eBay
                            Last edited by samurainoir; Mar 2, '12, 7:48 PM.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                              Banned
                              • Jun 23, 2001

I have a God Phoenix Model Kit that I bring to the Meet each year. It's a motorized kit and has never been put together. If I can find a pic of it I'll post it.

Comment

• samurainoir
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Dec 26, 2006

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Metal...item35ba11a05b

BATTLE OF THE PLANETS 1 2 3 4 GOLD KEY COMICS HARD FINDS | eBay

BRITISH BATTLE OF THE PLANETS INTERCOM SET '78 RARE MIB | eBay

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎