X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THE FALCON
    Career Member
    • Jan 2, 2011

Darkseid

Is it pronounced Darkseed or Darkside? My brother and I have a bet.
  • Hulk
    Mayor of Megoville
    • May 10, 2003

Darkside is the way I've heard it

Comment

• emeraldknight47
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 20, 2011

I believe that it can actually be pronounced either way, depending on whom you talk to and the situation involved and the name actually lends itself to that. After all, if you pronounce it DarkSIDE, it means he represents all the dark and evil things that are out there in the big bad world. If you pronounce it DarkSEED, then it intimates that, even worse than representing evil, he is moreso the root (or seed) of said evil. I think it's the whole toMAYto/toMAHto thing, actually....

Just my two cents worth...!
      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

Darkside...Kirby just didn't know how to spell...
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• madmarva
          Talkative Member
          • Jul 7, 2007

As a kid I always read it as Darkseed and it made sense to me, but it's been pronounced Darkside in all the cartoons since the 80s.

But, as emeraldknight said whatever floats your boat. I still think Darkseed sounds more ominous.

Comment

• Random Axe
            The Voice of Reason
            • Apr 16, 2008

Call him Steve if you want, he's the badassest villain in the DCU...at least till this new 52. I have no idea where they're going with him now.

I did the same thing as a few here calling him Darkseed all through high school. It wasn't until I heard him mentioned on a cartoon that I realized my mistake. I have still got to go back and get the Legion book with his first big appearance, I think it's the darkness Saga.
            I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

"The Great Darkness Saga"...

But what do you mean by his first "big" appearance? Darkseid was the glue that held all of Kirby's Fourth World titles together in the 70s, plus the JLA and JSA teamed up with the New Gods to battle Darkseid several years before the Legion took him on. Around the same time, he was the "big bad" behind the Super Powers stories...
              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

Darkseid was also in the cool Teen Titans/X-Men crossover with really cool art by Walt Simonson. Love that double-spread cover.

This is where Samurainoir steps in with a super-cool post featuring all kinds of incredible Darkseid art.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

And he better include tons of Kirby pics.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Mego Milk
                    Custom Mego Maker
                    • Jun 3, 2007

Side.
                    yeah.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

It's SIDE guys. Go watch some Super Friends or something.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Iron Mego
                        Wake Up Heavy
                        • Jan 31, 2010

I never even considered SEED, but I kind of like the implications that pronunciation offers.
                        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Random Axe
                          The Voice of Reason
                          • Apr 16, 2008

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                          "The Great Darkness Saga"...

But what do you mean by his first "big" appearance? Darkseid was the glue that held all of Kirby's Fourth World titles together in the 70s, plus the JLA and JSA teamed up with the New Gods to battle Darkseid several years before the Legion took him on. Around the same time, he was the "big bad" behind the Super Powers stories...

I had never heard of him before Legion and the X-Men/Titan crossover. My understanding was that he'd been forgotten for a great number of years before Levitz(?) brought him back in a big way for the Darkness Saga. My timeline might be off, but I thought the Legion story predated Super Powers. I have no memory of anything Kirby since I only recently have been able to tolerate his work. His designs are incredible, just can't read his panel-to-panel stuff. Chalk it up to taste.
                          I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Iron Mego
                            I never even considered SEED, but I kind of like the implications that pronunciation offers.
                            Yeah----I kind of like that interpretation myself; it makes Darky seem that much more menacing and deadly as opposed to just a really, gigantically powerful super-villain. I guess, IMHO, it lends him more of an air of gravitas...
                            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 20, 2011

Oh----BTW.....

I'm partial to King Kirby's because---well, he's Darkseid's pappy, after all. I also really dig the Simonson version for the cragginess he brings to the Dark One...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎