Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Urban Safari Hunting Hauls (Garage Sale, Thrift Stores, Craigs, Rummage...)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Splitty
    Career Member
    • Jan 25, 2012

Originally posted by Den82
    It's been said April is the month where people really get the blues. That doesn't help when I see the awesome scores people are getting lately and for me, it's getting tougher and tougher.
    I know. It often feels like one will never score again, that the good hauls are a thing of the past. Than BAM! a suprise score. You can ask anyone who's found a good haul, and they're probably tell you it's few and far between the good ones.I don't even bother much with garage sales until late may or june.

On Craigs however, I just scored this 12" talking Yoda for $10! That wasn't bad.
    He ate my doughnut though. That was bad.

I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• mego ninja
      Museum Patron
      • Jan 18, 2012

sweet. I think I sold one of those on craigslist about a year ago for $15 or $20.
      Check out my B / S / T! I have TONS of awesome stuff
      http://www.megomuseum.com/community/...ad.php?t=70048

Comment

• MegoSteve
        Superman's Pal
        • Jun 17, 2005

I paid $5 each at the Flea Market for these, like a fool
        What?! It's hard to tell condition by looking at a picture, but that X-men is probably worth what you paid for all six.

Comment

• theantiquetiger
          Fra-gee-lay Thats Italian
          • Nov 12, 2005

Here are my finds from the last couple weeks

M1 rifle scabbard - paid $6, sold for $68

seven Bud Man Beer Steins - paid $70, sold for $320

MIP 1989 Aurora Slot Car - paid $1, sold for $38

And last weekend, I bought this baby doll for my youngest daughter for $3. I didn't think anything about it, gave it to her when I got home, then I decided to look I up. It is a china baby doll made in Germany by Grace Puttman (I believe). The doll sells for over $200. She is keeping it.
          sigpic

Comment

• mego ninja
            Museum Patron
            • Jan 18, 2012

Originally posted by theantiquetiger
            And last weekend, I bought this baby doll for my youngest daughter for $3. I didn't think anything about it, gave it to her when I got home, then I decided to look I up. It is a china baby doll made in Germany by Grace Puttman (I believe). The doll sells for over $200. She is keeping it.
            Thats pretty awesome. My kids have and are playing with my complete collection of original star wars toys, Micro Machines, GI Joe and Lego's from when I was a kid. I want them to enjoy the same thing I did, even if some of that stuff could fetch some $$, I would rather them play with it.

Comment

• Den82
              Career Member
              • Jan 17, 2011

My luck was much better this weekend.

At a random garage sale stop a lady told me she had some Voltron stuff. I got this:

Plus a Trendmasters reissue Voltron in the box, near complete, extra Voltron I parts, G1 Transformers Jetfire and a Voltron I knock-off.

She practically begged me to buy it all. She said "How about you take it all for $8"!
              Last edited by Den82; Apr 10, '12, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• mego ninja
                Museum Patron
                • Jan 18, 2012

Oh man, you are lucky. Wish I could find that!

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                  Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                  • Jan 22, 2008

I've been passing these baby bear planters up left, right and center for years. Dumb move! I see them so often, I figured that they were newer. Seems like something they would sell in a hospital gift shop. I guess they probably did, in the 60's/70's. Anyways, they can go for some really decent prices.japan bear planter | eBay

The one with the bears on the bike just sold for $122. Prices seem to be all over the place with these, but at thrifts they're usually under $3, so for the same price as a scratch ticket I'm better off buying these and trying my luck. It's strange too, because they do fit into my collection of uber-cute cookie jars, kewpie dolls and rubber faced rushton stuff that I dig, but I just don't really want to get into collecting them.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                    • Jan 22, 2008

Picked up these games this morning at the thrift. Total came to $2.50.

I know almost nothing about RPG games like this, but enough to know a good deal when I see one.

Comment

• Adam West
                      Museum CPA
                      • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by megoat
                      Everything was grabbed for under $10 EXCEPT the Mr Mercury. I paid below market value, but he wasn't cheap. I think he's really cool!
                      I think the "American Pickers" guys just bought a Mr. Mercury on this past week's episode. I think they bundled it with another robot and can't remember the exact price but seem to think they paid somewhere in the upper $200's/lower $300's range.
                      "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                      ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• pmwasson
                        Maker
                        • Sep 12, 2007

Originally posted by 4NDR01D

I know almost nothing about RPG games like this, but enough to know a good deal when I see one.
                        I remember playing Car Wars with my brother.
                        sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                          • Jan 22, 2008

My luck was much better this weekend.

At a random garage sale stop a lady told me she had some Voltron stuff. I got this:

Plus a Trendmasters reissue Voltron in the box, near complete, extra Voltron I parts, G1 Transformers Jetfire and a Voltron I knock-off.

She practically begged me to buy it all. She said "How about you take it all for $8"!
                          I don't know how I missed your post Den, That's a sweet haul, I'd of been pretty stoked too!

Comment

• Splitty
                            Career Member
                            • Jan 25, 2012

Holy heck, what just happened?!

I swore I would never find a good score again, then BAM!! Today apparently a grandma told a hoarder grandpa to clear out 3 storage units. And the kids running the sale just wanted to clear out everything at any cost. Huge barn driveway full of the weirdest random boxes of junk ever. Barely any organization, just boxes of EVERYTHING. Grab a bunch and they guestimate a general price.

I got all this awesome crap for $15!!! I have no idea if I overpaid, but it was amazing fun finding these gems amongst the boring electronics, papers, and huh?'s. I'll sell a few, but keep more than I should. (:P
                            Oh, and this pic was taken AFTER I cleaned them this afternoon. 1/2 was quite dirty.

The things I'm MOST stoked about are..... BOGLIN !!!! I've always wanted one, but never wanted to pay ebay prices. Also, KING KONG 1976 Decanter, Jaws 1975 game (FINALLY, I've always wanted it), 1986 Imperial Unicorn, the base only to a vintage Aurora Phantom of the Opera kit!, and a sweet 2001 dancing skeleton that totally sings Rick James Super Freak ....see?.
                            Other things of note, a voltron carded sword, Goosebump rings, 1/2 a rubber brain, a King Kong puppet that had perfume spilled on him and now he smells niiicce, a creepy large resin guy (like the 70s smaller ones that have cute messages), some 2001 wrestler dude (not a strech one, just vinyl), "Street Force" tattoos by Imperial, Aladdin Jafar staff, a Skeletor that was in such great condition I thought it was a reissue (it's not), same with the Supernatural, etc....
                            That was way fun. Now it'll probably be forever before another score.

my back hurts from box huntin'.
                            I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• Hotfoot
                              Dazed and Confused
                              • Dec 30, 2007

$2.00 at a High School Band (400 family) garage sale. Got there late and found this (Already had Batman)

$1.21 each at a thrift store

Future BatBoat and Bat Bug if I can get them away from my girls!
                              (Mego's not included)

$1.00 MEGO find.

Last edited by Hotfoot; Apr 14, '12, 6:24 AM.
                              Too many toys. Not enough space!

Comment

• MegoSteve
                                Superman's Pal
                                • Jun 17, 2005

Originally posted by 4NDR01D

I used to play Blood Bowl... it's not really an RPG, but a strategy board game with a fantasy element (the teams are elves, dwarves, orcs, etc.). And you can paint the miniatures.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎