Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Urban Safari Hunting Hauls (Garage Sale, Thrift Stores, Craigs, Rummage...)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoat
    A Therefore Experience
    • Jun 10, 2003

Todays scores. Got into a hoarders house:

Comment

• Spawn67
      Career Member
      • Aug 14, 2009

Scored a original ALIEN board game from 79 in mint condition for $1! That was my weekend score. Made my day for sure!

Comment

• Marvelmania
        A Ray of Sunshine
        • Jun 17, 2001

OMG Matt! You're killing me here I hit a bunch on Sat. and didn't spend a dime. I just couldn't find a thing worth buying.

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! A 70s girl's dream!
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• kennermike
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 4, 2007

whats a hoarders house? was it someone you know?

Comment

• megoat
              A Therefore Experience
              • Jun 10, 2003

A hoarder is someone who hoards stuff--many many layers of stuff!. No, it was not someone I knew. I got a call from a friend about a house being cleared out.

Comment

• kennermike
                Permanent Member
                • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by megoat
                A hoarder is someone who hoards stuff--many many layers of stuff!. No, it was not someone I knew. I got a call from a friend about a house being cleared out.
                great score Bro congrats!

Comment

• Splitty
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 25, 2012

Originally posted by Spawn67
                  Scored a original ALIEN board game from 79 in mint condition for $1! That was my weekend score. Made my day for sure!
                  WANT
                  I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• Den82
                    Career Member
                    • Jan 17, 2011

Didn't get a damn thing this weekend. I'm convinced all the thrift stores in my area are filtering the good toys, because you never see a bag of ships like that in any of them. If they did get any vintage Star Wars, chances are they'd go into the glass showcases....right next to the NES games that are all priced at $19.99 each (not a joke or exaggeration).

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                      Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                      • Jan 22, 2008

Kinda embarrassing story.
                      I hit a thrift this morning, forgetting that I had no money on me (second time in a week, last time I had to leave a Mego Fabulous Fred behind). I found two sweet Revell Motorcycle kits from '64, both looked complete, $1.50 each. I just cleaned all the change (and garbage, lots of garbage) out of my car yesterday. Usually scrounging a few bucks from under the seats is no biggie, but today, nothing.

I quickly headed home, checked the models on ebay to see if they were definitely worth going back for (they were IMHO) took all the loose change I had, and headed back into my little town. Took about 10 mins tops.

I head directly to the shelf I had "stashed" my little treasures on. GONE.
                      I rush to the little old ladies at the counter, kinda butting in line, "excuse me but did somebody just buy two model kits". "Yeah my husband just bought them" the first lady in line told me.

Seeing my disappointment (and obviously a business opportunity) she stated "he might sell them to you, he starts work again next week and won't have time to put them together". (I feel I just missed that exact exchange between them, her telling him that of course)
                      He was standing on front of the thrift waiting for his wife and she called him back inside and told him that I was interested in the models, he told me he wanted to keep them. "I'll GIVE YOU FORTY BUCKS" I blurted out. What the Hell was I thinking? I started to sweat at my own stupidity. I mean, I know he only paid $3, and probably would have taken $15-$20, I could have at least tried before going for my top dollar. I think I watched too much storage wars or something recently. Of course he made the quick flip and took the money, and I got my models. He offered $20 to the ladies at the thrift, which was super nice of him, and they even told him to keep it.

It would have just killed me all week if I didn't get them, but I feel like an idiot for costing myself an extra $37, just for not having $3 in change on me.
                      I was going to flip them but think I might just keep em after all that. They might look good on display with my "Biker movie " Lp's (Born losers, Wild Angels, hell's Bells etc)

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                        • Jan 22, 2008

I love these Kewpie (and Kepie like) vinyl dolls from the 50's/60's. The bigger one is actually about 12" tall, they're pretty big for this type of doll, usually only about 4". I'm getting a fairly large collection of this type of thing [embarrassed] Picked these two up for about $8.

Vintage plastic/rubber faced cheapo carnival toy from 40's/50's/60's About $2

been collecting these types of cookie jars for a bit now. Have about 8. About $20
                        Last edited by 4NDR01D; Mar 20, '12, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• megoat
                          A Therefore Experience
                          • Jun 10, 2003

Those are great pick ups, Andy!

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

At least you got the bikes. Misses like that eat at me to no end, I'd rather get an opportunity to pay more.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                              • Jan 22, 2008

Sold the model kits for $118, so even though I over paid, I still tripled my money which makes feel slightly less idiotic.

Comment

• Den82
                                Career Member
                                • Jan 17, 2011

I paid $5 each at the Flea Market for these, like a fool. I guess they are kind of cool though. This is the beginning of my silver age (and most likely Bronze age as well) comic collection. The same seller, a young kid, also have something I used to dream of owning when I was 10: Amazing Spider-Man #129. He wanted $200 for it, an ungraded copy. Considering what I see them selling for ungraded on eBay I should of annoyed him into giving it up for $45-$50.

Aside from that, nothing. The Flea Market was terrible. Shogun Warriors colorforms, used for $45 anyone? How about loose Star Wars figures for $10 a pop with no weapons or accessories.

It's been said April is the month where people really get the blues. That doesn't help when I see the awesome scores people are getting lately and for me, it's getting tougher and tougher.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎