Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Urban Safari Hunting Hauls (Garage Sale, Thrift Stores, Craigs, Rummage...)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Splitty
    Career Member
    • Jan 25, 2012

2012 Urban Safari Hunting Hauls (Garage Sale, Thrift Stores, Craigs, Rummage...)

Let's get it on!

I thought it'd be cool to have one thread for us to share all our re-buy deals for 2012, especially with Garage Sale season right around the corner. I really hope there's not an all-inclusive thread like this already, I swear I looked. I'M NEW!! [excuse]

I call it 'urban safari hunting', because we traipse around all predatory like, then BAM! We 'get' something and have hunting high. This is where we can display our heads on our walls. And maybe inspire others to look places they normally wouldn't.... FOR PREY.

Places can include Garage Sales, Craigs List, Thrift Stores, Rummage Sales, Estate Sales, Flea Market (cries, I don't have any here), and meybe even ebay, since we hunt from our computer (like snipers). I know sadly, for myself, my Garage sale-ing will be severely hampered by gas prices this year, but maybe others will fare better. Stuff includes old and new toys, or even other really good deals on different type collectibles.

It's a little early for Garage Sales yet, but here's a Craigs List haul I just made to kick it off.
    ALL THIS JUNK for $50. I know that's alot of money, especially for me, but the silver Mars Attacks ship goes for that often alone, and the 6 Men in Black Bendys go about $10 each, and those are things I really really wanted, as well as the Brain Disintegrator. Almost everything else can go for trade or sell!! SCORE!
    So mabye the stuff I keep will almost be free in the end...

Honestly, it was worth part of the $50 just for the fun anyway. On the Craigs ad he had no pics at all, just a brief description with a few line names and the phrase 'lots of figures', and when I called him he was at work so couldn't give details. I went blind over to the house, really hoping he had the bendys', then when I got there it was just a HUGE box with all the cool biddy's peeking out. I was ecstatic when I saw the silver ship, bendys & ray gun. I am a huge DORK because that was FUN for me. DORK!
    Oh, it's a small thing, but I was also pleasantly surprised to see Deep Space Nine Morn. I <3 him.
    Blind shopping is really fun.
    Last edited by Splitty; Feb 24, '12, 3:43 PM.
    I gots Toyyyyzzzzz
  • 4NDR01D
    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
    • Jan 22, 2008

That's a swell haul Splitty. I think those bendies are going to look great with the rest of your collection (I'm in the throes of checking out your flickr photostream, I think I have a crush on your collection BTW).
    Do you have those Burger King(?) aliens from MIB with the squishy guts?

Comment

• Splitty
      Career Member
      • Jan 25, 2012

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
      That's a swell haul Splitty. I think those bendies are going to look great with the rest of your collection (I'm in the throes of checking out your flickr photostream, I think I have a crush on your collection BTW).
      Do you have those Burger King(?) aliens from MIB with the squishy guts?

Only one!! I need MOAR Burger King ones!
      I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• Kotter
        Museum Super Collector
        • Dec 23, 2011

Cool Stuff Splitz
        sigpic

SEEKING
        Original Batman Gloves
        Mego Cards: Superman, Batman, Aquaman
        Early World's Finest Comics

Comment

• 4NDR01D
          • Jan 22, 2008

Just got to your Basil Wolverton statue, it's no longer a crush, I'm smitten now.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
            • Jan 22, 2008

Back to the thread at hand, today I bought a bag of Richard Scarry Busytown/Puzzletown figures at my local thrift. I collect polar opposites, creepy monsters and uber-cute uh, things.

Comment

• Splitty
              Career Member
              • Jan 25, 2012

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
              I collect polar opposites, creepy monsters and uber-cute uh, things.
              I totally do the same thing!! I've often wondered what a psychiatrist would make of that..... (I vow never to find out).

I love the Basil Wolverton statues. I was bummed I couldn't get the whole set when they came out, but Liz was definitely my favorite.
              I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• Saroyan
                Persistent Member
                • Oct 4, 2011

That is a great haul for $50!!!

I say money well spent- looks like some great Mars Attacks items.

I had a talking Ambassador- that said ak ak ak and his brain lit up and moved around when you hit the button- but I got rid of him sometime before I had kids- stupid me!!!

Comment

• Splitty
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 25, 2012

Originally posted by Saroyan
                  I had a talking Ambassador- that said ak ak ak and his brain lit up and moved around when you hit the button- but I got rid of him sometime before I had kids- stupid me!!!
                  aww, that's too bad! I bet your kids would love them at some point! How could they not, Mars Attacks is da bomb.
                  I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Neat haul. The Mars Attack stuff is very cool. That reminds me, I really miss Trendmasters. They made a lot of cool toys from licenses most other companies wouldn't touch at the time like classic Battlestar Galactica and Godzilla.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• megoat
                      A Therefore Experience
                      • Jun 10, 2003

Hey Splitty, great stuff and great thread. I love sharing finds. Here's a portion of the stuff I grabbed in the last week:

That Batman needlepoint is actually a licensed 1966 product! I'm digging the 1971 Peter Max catalog.
                      Last edited by megoat; Feb 24, '12, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• Splitty
                        Career Member
                        • Jan 25, 2012

----^ Man, that is a really neat vintage haul you've go there!

That robot is sooooooo cool, and HA! Flea circus?!! !
                        I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                          • Jan 22, 2008

Matt, that flea circus is hilarious, I'm surprised I've never seen one before. What kind of a deal was the Mr. Mercury? I've held on to the one I found in Dec. The sales on eBay have been all over the place, and I'm not in a hurry to just get rid of it.

Comment

• MPM1972
                            Museum Patron
                            • Jan 23, 2012

Today out on the rounds I scored :

1960 Yertle The Turtle game by Revell
                            3 1960s Coloring Books - Yogi Bear, Micky Mouse Club & 101 Dalmatians
                            Handfull of Fisher Price Little People
                            Sister Street Fighter DVD Boxset
                            Eric Davis Louisville Slugger bat
                            Dave Parker Adirondack bat
                            And
                            Uncanny X-Men 153, 154, 156 & 157 in VF condition. Last 3 also being newsstand editions.

Comment

• MPM1972
                              Museum Patron
                              • Jan 23, 2012

Sweet Evel paint by numbers, btw Megoat!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎