Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hilde B
    • Feb 21, 2012

First time buyer saying hi and seeking help

Hi there! I'm new to the forum (first post!) ... and new to Mego collecting too! I've been browsing through the messages a bit and you guys seem like a bunch of regular Joes. I've got a weird situation on my hands and I wonder if you joes can help me out.

A friend of mine at work has been collecting figures for a long time and after listening to her stories of how she got this or that toy and then turned around and doubled (or better) her money, I figured to give it a shot myself when I saw an ad in the local paper for a lot of twelve dolls. I got to admit that I felt pretty B.A. after scoring it (booyah me!) and I even got a little bit excited when I finally got the box back to my apartment.

So the ones in best shape were Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Conan while the rest had more obvious little defects here and there. There was nothing that looked too bad to my newbie eyes and while I'm sure most of them are missing an accessory or two, I'm generally pleased. There were only two things wrong, one of which really troubles me.

The first issue, which isn't really a big deal, but hey it's my opinion. I think the Thor looks pretty lame. It's in good shape, but the armbands looks like legwarmers and the blue circles on the uniform chest look dumb too. I was just expecting ... I don't know ... more? It was a letdown, but I'm guessing that's just part of the business, right?

The second issue why I'm posting (can you believe that I've been accused of taking too long to get to the point?) is the Isis doll (well, I'm like 99.9% sure it is Isis). Yikes.

Like Thor, she is in good enough shape, but when I was unpacking everything I came across something that troubles me. I undressed all of the figures to inspect them and when I got to Isis, I found some hair (and I'm not talking about the hair on her head) in the *ahem* region. It looks like it was glued on quite carefully, so much so that it looks like it could be a factory job. I sure hope that is not the case though. I don't know if this is important, but for the record, the curtains match the drapes.

I'm too embarrased to mention it directly to my friend at work. This seems the sort of thing that HR would frown upon. So, I'm somewhat anonymously asking here for some advice.

I definitely don't want this icky figure in my collection. The original ad did not mention that Isis was pubescent. Should I send a strongly worded (and less wordy ... I've got to work on that!) letter to the seller?

My first thought is to resell it on ebay (or here). Should I include this fact in my listing or just leave it out? Would I be better off using an xacto knife or some solvent to remove the hair? Would attempting to fix this problem actually lessen the figure's value? I'm not sure what would be worse: hair or obvious scratch marks! Your advice is absolutely appreciated.

Well, I'm planning on sticking around. I like most of my first lot and I'm guessing that if I do my homework and ask for help occasionally, it will get even better. Am I right?
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

I suggest you Krush her

Comment

• MegoMark71
      Permanent Member
      • Dec 18, 2008

Not knowing where the hair came from I'd chuck it in the trash. For sure i wouldn't touch it. All sort of crotch crickets could be on that thing.

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

I'm not Joe,I'm John.

Comment

• scifiguy94
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 18, 2009

Hi, welcome. Curious, do you write fiction for a living?

Comment

• megoapesnut
            The name says it all!
            • Dec 3, 2007

Would that friend of yours at work be the mother of two children who just lost everything, including the Megos she has been collecting for her kids, in a fire?

Comment

• SeattleEd
              SynthoRes Transmigrator
              • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by rche
              I suggest you Krush her
              ZING!

Comment

• Hilde B
                • Feb 21, 2012

scifiguy94: No ... well, at least not yet, but I would love to!

megopeanut: No ...

john: My bad!

--

Is disposing of this figure really the best course of action? When fully clothed, you can't tell anything is wrong with it. Even in it's current condition, it should still be worth $40-$50, right?
                Last edited by Hilde B; Feb 22, '12, 4:33 PM. Reason: typo correction

Comment

• rche
                  channeling Bob Wills
                  • Mar 26, 2008

megopeanut

Comment

• MegoMark71
                    Permanent Member
                    • Dec 18, 2008

omg i just caught that, I'm almost on the floor laughing

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 14, 2012

If she's an original 70's figure I'd leave her unshaven for the authentic look.
                      Even My Henchmen Think I'm Crazy.

Comment

• sprytel
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 26, 2009

Is it a T1 or a T2 body? The early Megos were like that. Later runs went with a tiny landing strip (Mego was notorious for cost cutting measures).

Of course, you don't find body hair at all on the modern re-Mego figures... they are completely bald. So it is a pretty reliable way to tell a natural '70s Isis from a skanky repro. Sounds like you got a keeper!

Is it complete with box?

Comment

• alex
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jun 15, 2009

LOL..............

Comment

• rche
                            channeling Bob Wills
                            • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by sprytel
                            I....

Is it complete with box?
                            sounds like box AND trim

Comment

• sauce
                              Removed
                              • Jun 24, 2007

Hi and welcome!!!
                              Keep her!
                              One in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎