Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on two Argentine style BBQ grills I'm currently looking into...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Opinions on two Argentine style BBQ grills I'm currently looking into...

Mind you...I've spent the last month looking for a solid Argentine grill...I've even gone to Mercado Libre on both the Argentine and Uruguayan grills (their grills are just more awesome than the American ones)...most won't ship to the USA...and if they do...shipping is almost as expensive as the grill itself...lol.

The correct terminology is Asado Argentino.

What separates this from American style grills...is that the Argentine grill has V-shaped grill grates where you can elevated it with a wheel crank (the grill slopes slightly)...that way you can control temperature....and the V-grill grate's shape helps capture most of the fat, drippings, oil, etc...it's really an awesome thing to have...you don't need covers for these...as you control the temperature depending on the positioning and height of the grill itself...I really love these types of grills.

The Uruguayan is simpler but just as effective...they usually don't have the wheel crank...but they like to have a slightly titled grill grate as well...with a fire log basket on the side.

The Santa Maria grill (Western style BBQ) is similar to the Argentine...but it doesn't feature the sloped V-shaped grill grates.

My Uruguayan neighbor is working on his...almost finished...

A commercial Uruguayan grill ($675)...

Video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnqIksmLOH0

The simpler (and cheaper) Santa Maria grill from Santa Maria Grill Outfitters ($475)...

...and the final contenders for me...an Argentine grill grate from Engelbrecht Braten Grills ($455) designed for a brick/masonry foundation (I have the place for it, check out the bellow pictures)...this is probably the best one in terms of higher-quality materials...it powder-coated, plus it has stainless steel grill grates. Again, no firebox or legs, it's designed as a drop-in grill for brick and masonry.

All the others are made from mild and expandable steel (not stainless)...plus painted in high heat paint...but not powder-coated...like this bad boy...

Plans on build...

Might end up looking like this...

...and from Arizona BBQ Outfitters ($850)...

...and a video of it in action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG_4V...ature=youtu.be

Shipping on the Engelbrecht Braten is $70 due to being a smaller grill with no firebox or legs.

The others are like $200 for shipping.

Would appreciate some feedback...

Thanks!!!!

Last edited by Hector; Feb 17, '12, 12:48 AM.
    sigpic
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

a couple of those look like you can build yourself bro
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by toys2cool
      a couple of those look like you can build yourself bro
      Wrong answer...I don't wanna deal with building nothing, lol.

Plus like I said, I want the Argentine crank wheel ones...they are not as simple as the simpler Uruguayan design...I don't want the Uruguayan, I want the Argentine ones.

Now which one you like...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

I guess all the hardcore BBQ guys are sound asleep right now...lol.

I'll try tomorrow...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

This one looks pretty awesome too...

http://www.ruppmetalworks.com/html/bbq.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9euz...eature=related

It's pretty awesome...it has three grates, one for pancakes/flat breads/tortillas...one for stir fry/sauces...and one for grilling meats.

You can switch them around...any order...any height...and you can keep food perpetually warm all the time.

Pretty fire safe too...and has a lid to put out the fire.

All stainless steel (it's going to be very expensive).

I emailed for a price quote...I know it's going to be a ton of money...lol.
          Last edited by Hector; Feb 17, '12, 4:15 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

I wish I could offer an insightful comment, but unfortunately I know nothing about these grills. Very fascinating though. All I know is I would love to come to your house for dinner and drinks. You come up with some of the best ideas for food and drink. You need your own show like the Food Network's Triple D. But we would call yours 'Hector's hang outs'.

Comment

• Bill
              Parminant Memble
              • Oct 20, 2002

I like both the $455 drop in and the wheeled one for $850. Which ever one has replaceable grill slats would be the one I'd go for because it looks like those V shaped slats will trap a bit of fat and eventually have issues.

Shipping is what it is; when you have the friends over, the beer is flowing and the grill is in full swing you're not gonna care about that $200 you spent on shipping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOMmvI2y4u8

Comment

• Bill
                Parminant Memble
                • Oct 20, 2002

The video on the $850 model states that the Argentine grill plate is an upgrade and it comes with a standard version with no V.

All this grill talk, a great way to wake up. I'm out of achiote paste, need to run to the market.

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Bill
                  I like both the $455 drop in and the wheeled one for $850. Which ever one has replaceable grill slats would be the one I'd go for because it looks like those V shaped slats will trap a bit of fat and eventually have issues.
                  Totally the opposite, Bill.

The Argentine grills are designed with a slight incline...their purpose is to keep most of the fat and drippings that fall into the fire and cause flare ups...the melted dripping fats slides down the V-shaped grill...and drops into a slot...which you can easily remove...or can even re use it if you want to keep basting the meats...it's really an ingenious method...that's why Argentines are masters of grilling meats...and that's the way I want to go...

However...having an incline...it might pose a little problem with stuff like hot dogs (although you can position them alongside the V-shape grill, not across).

The company sells a more traditional stainless steel grill grate for $50 less...

Engelbrecht Grills - Braten Campfire Stainless Steel Grill

I might consider that one...but I still want an Argentine grill...so I can also get the stand alone Argentine grill grate for $245 (look on the lower right of the page)...

Engelbrecht Grills - 1000 Series Original Braten Grill

Or just forget all that extra money...and just get the Argentine drop in...

Engelbrecht Grills - Braten Campfire Argentine Grill

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by MIB41
                    I wish I could offer an insightful comment, but unfortunately I know nothing about these grills. Very fascinating though. All I know is I would love to come to your house for dinner and drinks. You come up with some of the best ideas for food and drink. You need your own show like the Food Network's Triple D. But we would call yours 'Hector's hang outs'.

However...

You from Kentucky!

Don't you guys BBQ over there?

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Bill
                      you're not gonna care about that $200 you spent on shipping.
                      I really like that $850 grill...except for its made from mild steel coated with high heat paint...it's not going to last as long as the drop in one...the drop in one is powder-coated with a stainless steel grilling grate...the $850 model is NOT stainless steel...it will rust at a much faster pace...unless I keep cleaning it with a wire brush, covering it...and re-painting it every couple of years...

But I still love it...that's why I'm still considering it at this point...lol.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

The $850 grill + some extras/accessories + shipping ($200)...total will be $1100...order an extra regular grill insert...and it goes up to $1200.

The $452 drop in grill + some extras/accessories + shipping ($70)...total will be $580.

Now, if I go a little fancy...I can get the drop in regular grate model ($395), with an extra Argentine grill insert ($245) as a secondary accessory...plus shipping ($70)...that comes out to $710.

So it's either $1200 or $710...a $500 difference...

sigpic

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
                          Time to feed the cat
                          • Dec 30, 2007

go with stainless dude,its a purer metal and reacts better to the heat.Mild steel has alot of impurities and over time and use it will break down and change the quality of what your cooking.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by wayne foundation 07
                            go with stainless dude,its a purer metal and reacts better to the heat.Mild steel has alot of impurities and over time and use it will break down and change the quality of what your cooking.
                            Yeah...you are right.

I do love the look of that $850 grill...but it's made of mild steel...it's not going to last long...will start braking down in as soon as a couple of years.

The drop in stainless steel model has at least a ten year span...that's good enough for me.

I'm getting that one...thanks for making my decision a little easier...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Plus I'll save $500...I'll use that to build my masonry/brick foundation for the drop in grill...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎