Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knight errant00
    8 Inch Action Figure
    • Nov 15, 2005

For a long time, I *thought* my first mego was the RC Batman I received for my 8th birthday in 1973. He was my favorite, long ago destroyed, though, by the adventures he shared through the years with me and my three younger brothers.

I later found the museum, and realized my *actual* first Mego was a Fighting Yank my parents presented to me as GI Joe one Christmas when I was 4 or 5 -- it had to be that far back, beause I know I got my first real Joe when I was 6 (blonde, bearded, orange-jumpsuited AT Air Adventurer, for those keeping score).

But the one that was the first I wanted was AJ -- because I saw him on the back of a cereal box! My memories of this are *really* dim, but it seems he was free with so many box flaps or something, I *think* from Frosted Rice Krispies. I wasn't able to save enough of the coupons to get him before the offer expired, but I can still remember trying to talk my parents into letting me order him, and them telling me I already had GI Joe (the Yank, actually).

Anyone else remember that Kellogg's promo?

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

Y'know, I didn't at first, but now that you mention it, I think I do remember the cereal ad. I say this b/c I seem to remember cutting him off the back of the box, pretending he was the real AJ until I got my figure. But I got my AJ from a toy store.
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Action Martin
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by Cardbuff
        Modells was OK too, when they were still a 'department' store, not just sporting goods like now.
        Models was only one of the two places that I ever saw the Teen Titans. The other being Child World in Bayshore.
        Scott

Comment

• Cardbuff
          • Dec 16, 2007

Originally posted by Action Martin
          Models was only one of the two places that I ever saw the Teen Titans. The other being Child World in Bayshore.
          I didn't get to the Bayshore Child World often when I was too young to drive, but the trip was worth it (to me, anyway!) because of the BatCave comic store right in the same center. I got some good stuff there, too.

Comment

• Action Martin
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 30, 2007

Ah, the Batcave. I used to go there quite often in the early 80s. I remember when the owner, Frank Verzyl, had to change the name to Comic Heaven due to a lawsuit from DC. I think he changed the name again to Long Island Comics. If I recall correctly he moved the shop to Babylon.
            Scott

Comment

• Action Martin
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 30, 2007

Soon after starting this thread 16 years ago, I did acquire a boxed brown haired bearded AJ, a boxed African American AJ, a boxed brown clean shaven AJ, a loose clean shaven red head AJ, a loose brown haired bearded AJ, boxed Army, Aussie Marine, Jungle Safari, and Secret Agent outfits. Oh, and a boxed L'Amico Jackson secret agent outfit.

20230514_113011.jpg
              Scott

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

That’s a nice collection of AJ figures and boxes, practically minty condition, congratulations.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎