X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Action Martin
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 30, 2007

I remember my Megos

My first Mego was a bearded Action Jackson in the sky blue jumpsuit. This was sometime in 1972-1973. I was still living in Queens, NY but I'm not sure if it was when I was in kindergarten or before. I recall my mother returning home from work one night and giving me the "doll". I don't know why it was given to me. It wasn't Christmas or my birthday. But this new toy was a welcome addition to my toy collection. I didn't own any G.I. Joes but I did have a large collection of Marx's Johnny West figures and horses. I really didn't have much for AJ to do other than knock down blocks and Lincoln Logs that I set up. Sometime later my mother gave me 2 AJ accessory uniforms: "Western" and "Snowmobile". I would have loved "Secret Agent", "Army", or "Aussie Marine". Somewhere along the way I received two more Action Jacksons. I recall brown hair, clean shaven and either blonde or redhead clean shaven.

But they weren't my last Megos...
    Last edited by Action Martin; May 14, '23, 11:46 AM.
    Scott
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Cool story, I'm too young to remember my first mego, they were just always there although I imagine it was AJ.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ScottA
      Original Member
      • Jun 25, 2001

My first one was Superman, bought in Wilmington, NC. We had gone there for a shopping trip to the "big city". We had a station wagon at the time and Superman flew home hanging out the back window (and no I didn't lose the emblem).
      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• MegoGeek
        From The Black Lagoon
        • Jun 27, 2001

My first was Spider-Man.

The kid next door had one and I was obsessed with it. My mom finally took me to the drug store uptown to get one.
        ______
        ChArLiE

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

Mine was the 3 3/4 Ponch and a some Dukes,but my 1st Super hero was the Batman I got in a toy show
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• MegoGeekJr
            Youngest Mego Lover
            • Dec 6, 2005

Hey, I have a bearded Action Jackson in a blue sky jumpsuit!
            I don't think he has the same boots that he use to.
            kinda ironic!

But also ironicly, my first megowas, the penguin!
            It was my brothers before I descovered it.I played with him, until I met a really good friend of mine.
            I owe it all to Charlie!
            Last edited by MegoGeekJr; Jan 3, '08, 1:02 PM.
            My heighten mutant sense never lies..........................................This ain't lemonade.

Comment

• Action Martin
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 30, 2007

I remember my first World's Greatest Super-Hero

Once again back in the 1972-1973 timeframe...

My dad was taking his car to a mechanic for some sort of repairs and since my mother was at work my dad took me with him. I forget where this mechanic's shop was but I recall it being quite a distance from our home in Richmond Hill (Queens, NY). But then again to a 5-6 year old kid every distance was quite a distance. My dad was never the type to just leave his car and return for it at the end of the day. He would sit there until the car was ready. After a few hours I was getting quite fidgety. I could only "read" the current issue of "Popular Mechanics" so many times. And the sound of the air tools was driving me nuts. My dad decided that it was time to go to lunch. We walked down the street to a little bodega to get some sandwiches and sodas. Bodegas are little conveinence stores and they carried almost everything: food, soda, liquor, cigarettes, and even small inexpensive toys like plastic soldiers. But this bodega had something different. Behind the clerk's counter there was a shelf. And on that shelf were some sort of toys with the likenesses of Superman, Batman, Robin, and Aquaman. They were boxed Megos. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was quite familiar with super-heroes since I watched Batman, Adventures of Superman, The Lone Ranger, and those Filmation DC heroes cartoons on a daily basis. I couldn't take my eyes off of those "dolls".

My dad sensing my desire for the "dolls" and my unhappiness spending the day at the mechanic decided to buy me one. I recall asking for Robin but for some reason ended up with Aquaman. Man, how I loved this new toy! Now I had something to go with my Action Jacksons. Oddly, I never had them fight each other. Aquaman usually just rescued the Jacksons from falling Lincoln Logs or something.

I had to have more!
              Scott

Comment

• garagesale
                Dept. of Mego Studies
                • Aug 8, 2006

Aquaman in 1974... he was an early Christmas present. I remember getting Big Jim on that xmas day... I liked Jim, but he couldn't hold a candle to Aquaman!

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by Action Martin
                  My first Mego was a bearded Action Jackson in the sky blue jumpsuit. This was sometime in 1972-1973. I was still living in Queens, NY but I'm not sure if it was when I was in kindergarten or before. I recall my mother returning home from work one night and giving me the "doll". I don't know why it was given to me. It wasn't Christmas or my birthday. But this new toy was a welcome addition to my toy collection. I didn't own any G.I. Joes but I did have a large collection of Marx's Johnny West figures and horses. I really didn't have much for AJ to do other than knock down blocks and Lincoln Logs that I set up. Sometime later my mother gave me 2 AJ accessory uniforms. I checked the gallery and it appears the uniforms were "ski patrol" and "rescue squad". I would have loved "secret agent". Somewhere along the way I received a second Action Jackson, this time clean shaven but with the same sky blue uniform. And those were the only 2 Action Jackson figures that I ever had.

But they weren't my last Megos...
                  Ok, the similarities w/ our first Megos is uncanny. First, we're both from NY, (I was in Manhattan). Second, my first Mego was an Action Jackson, (but he was black, in a dark blue uniform.) I got him when I was 5 years old in kindergarten in '71. I did get a second AJ for Christmas (since I "lost" my first one, later found on Christmas Day.) When I received the second one (same as the first, only his skin was darker), I got 2 outfits, Snowmobile, and the silver Rescue Squad, (though I insisted it was a spacesuit). But that's where the similarity ends. These were my only 2 Mego action figures. The only other Mego I owned was The Dancing Lainie doll.

Thanks for sharing!
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• K
                    Fun Will Now Commence
                    • Jun 20, 2001

Welcome aboard, AM!
                    I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."

Comment

• Brue
                      User without title
                      • Sep 29, 2005

my first arrived on my birthday Aug 12th during a marathon road trip (OH to Ark to Ky and back). It was Batman on a pink (what I now know to be a) 1976 card. Though I could have sworn it was 1975 when I got him. I was at my great grandmas house. I was hooked.

I still have that figure. http://megomuseum.com/albums/Brues-M...n/IMG_7055.jpg

Comment

• Wee67
                        Museum Correspondent
                        • Apr 2, 2002

Can't wait to see those pics.

I'm a few years older than Brian, but like him I don't clearly remember getting my first Mego. It seemed they were always a part of my life. I do remember, however, that my first figures were Batman and Robin.
                        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Action Martin
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by K
                          Welcome aboard, AM!
                          Thanks.

In 1973 my family decided to move from Queens to Long Island. So just a short while after finishing kindergarten we were on our way to the suburbia known as Suffolk County.

Christmas of 1973. "Santa Claus" had broughy many wonderful presents for me. I recall opening individual boxes that contained Superman, Batman (removable cowl), Robin, and I believe Captain America, Spider-Man, and Captain Marvel.

Easter Sunday of 1974 was cool. We went to visit my maternal grandparents in Richmond Hill and then my paternal grandmother in Maspeth. Upon arrival at my grandparents' home I was greeted with an Easter basket that the "Easter Bunny" left for me because "he" knew that I was out visiting. In the basket were boxed Megos of the Joker and the Penguin! Finally bad guys to have the heroes fight! Later that day it was off to my grandmother's. And, yes, the "Easter Bunny" had been there as well and left another basket. This one contained the Riddler and Mr. Mxyzptlk!

Winter of 1975 was a bad time for me. I was rushed out of school because the school nurse thought that I had a tummy ache. I had been feverish, nauseous, and I passed out in class. Instead of calling an ambulance, the school nurse called my father to pick me up from school. My dad took me home. The next day my mother took me to my doctor, who then directed my mother to take me to the hospital. I had some sort of bowel condition where my intestines got entangled and a puss had built up and infected them. The doctors removed the puss and infected portions of the intestine. After the operation I was in Intensive Care for a little more than a week. While in the IC unit my parents would visit me everyday. They brought me coloring books, comic books, and Megos. I think it was the first or second day after the operation and my dad showed up with the "Mad Monsters" Dracula, Mummy, Wolfman, and Frankenstein. The day that I left the hospital and arrived home I found carded Batman and Robin figures and a Mego Batmobile waiting for me. The new Batman was a welcome addition since my removable cowl Batman's cowl had become torn and then lost.
                          Last edited by ABMAC; Jan 6, '08, 9:27 AM.
                          Scott

Comment

• Ladyrixx
                            • Jan 4, 2008

I got my first Mego in '83 or '84. There was a really big toystore in the suburbs of Des Moines, IA; and they had all sorts of the comic book Megos. I'm not totally sure who was my first, but for years I had "Super Penguin". Penguin in Superman's outfit. There's even a professional picture of me at my parent's house holding him, I must have been 4 or 5 or so.

Comment

• Cardbuff
                              • Dec 16, 2007

Originally posted by Action Martin
                              In 1973 my family decided to move from Queens to Long Island. So just a short while after finishing kindergarten we were on our way to the suburbia known as Suffolk County.
                              Hey Action Martin,

I've been in Suffolk County since 1977. I found a ton of Megos here back then, PlayWorld was awesome! I can still hear the TV ads with the song... They had all the figures, and once I even spotted a Star Trek Planetarium.

KayBee at the mall had a big stack of Star Trek TV Bridge sets, and later had the Greatest American Hero Bug set. Too cool!

Modells was OK too, when they were still a 'department' store, not just sporting goods like now. Sears usually had some, that was the only place I ever saw Trek aliens. And there was a Child World walking distance from my house, I got a lot of ST-TMP Mego stuff there. Still have several of those bridge sets packed away.

Unfortunately, I didn't really get into Batman and the superheroes until the 80's, and by that time those Megos were history.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎