X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mazinz
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 2, 2007

Flex Seal rubber as mold or mold filler

Some of you may have seen this commercial for a material called Flex Seal, which advertises itself as essentially being “rubber in a can”.

Flex Seal commercial
    http://youtu.be/vwU8JObQMXc

What caught my attention about it was the similarity it had to a childs toy material called “zubber” (if you do a search or if I update the post you can see a slew of testing and reviews I made here using that stuff)

Zubber was two compounds that when mixed made a rubber material. This was a kid’s toy, but I found that it was able to

A: create a mold very well
    B used as mold filler and it worked very well
    C: completely fireproof

The downside of zubber was it could not be painted at all (nothing would stick) and that it started to harden after 4 mins (bad news if you needed to sculpt)

Now onto Flex Seal: In the commercial it shows it drying as a rubber like material, flame proof like Zubber but COULD be painted and when dry still flexible.

I was very curious as to how well this stuff could be used to make a mold or used as the mold material itself (like spraying this in a mold you have already made)

Every review I found for this stuff said it worked well (even one guy who used it to fix a toy piggy bank by spraying the material on the inside of the bank to harden the weakened plastic), but the online company (and tv 800 #) would try to **** you in the end and you would get a bill 3 times what it should be. Luckily I found out that Amazon.com and even better Bed, Bath and Beyond sell the product.

Fast forward: Just came back from BB&B and picked up two cans.

In steps Stuntman Joe below

Here he is with the stuff sprayed on him (gave it about two quick covers)

Shortly thereafter you can see it drying on the paper plate

Naturally it mentions using a well ventilated area. It sprays out just like paint and has a Tester’s model glue smell. I was outside for the initial spray, but due to the cold temp, brought in the figure after 10 mins to let him dry in my house.
    YOU SMELL NO odor at all (unless you shove your nose right on top of the figure). This is a good thing in case you need to keep the item indoors.

Here is a pic with it drying nicely on Stuntman Joe

Here is a back shot to show that I only sprayed the stuff halfway on the figure

I am curious if the Flex Seal will totally stick to the plastic (thus wrecking stuntman) or if it could be peeled as one solid piece or if it will break up in pieces, etc. I am going to do a number of tests and report my findings here

It would be neat to find another substance in which you could use to make a quick and on the fly mold, or even better to use as mold filler instead of playing around with resin
    "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"
  • Mego Magyar
    Permanent Member
    • Jan 17, 2011

If it did stick to the plastic I wonder what would happen if you put some mold release on him first, or even sprayed him with PAM.

Comment

• pmwasson
      Maker
      • Sep 12, 2007

Very interesting. Can't wait to see your follow-up.
      sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• mazinz
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by magyar1964
        If it did stick to the plastic I wonder what would happen if you put some mold release on him first, or even sprayed him with PAM.

It does not really say how long it takes to dry, but from what I have read, pretty much everyone gives it a full 24hr. I will come close to something like that (will "tap" the material in a few hours to see if it is fully dry). In the end I will be able to answer your questions
        Last edited by mazinz; Feb 11, '12, 8:10 PM.

Comment

• mazinz
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 2, 2007

well the bad news is that unless it is still not fully dry (close to 24 hrs later) this stuff is more like a "tar". NOT sticky to the touch, but if you try to peel it, it does not peel like a solid rubber piece would but rather in pieces. This reminds me of that type of tree tar you would spray on a tree limb that you cut off.

Flex Seal though does have its uses in the custom world, for example if you needed a skin diving suit, help "heal" joints or even use it in a diorama as flooring to hold whatever objects in place, or if you just need to make a "slimy looking dead monster"

The stuntman joe figure can still bend and move in all his spots and the stuff retains the shape well

You can also feel the grip on the flex seal in that paint should stick to it with no problem
          Last edited by mazinz; Feb 12, '12, 6:38 PM.

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

What about sprayed on a resin head? Would it give it more of a rotocast look and feel?

Comment

• mazinz
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by sprytel
              What about sprayed on a resin head? Would it give it more of a rotocast look and feel?
              I would not be able to answer that for you. I can tell you that now closer to 48 hrs later the stuff is getting harder in the sense of less "tar" that feel I mentioned. Still wont peel like I thought it might but would have its uses in customs

If you look at the pics of the stuff (covering the GI JOE figure) you can get an idea of how it would look. Though it appears smooth, it does have a minor rough feel to it

Comment

• mazinz
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 2, 2007

Interesting. I started a 12" custom Auger (from Night Trap) a long time ago and that project went South.

However his outfit was a 12" jailsuit that I got from someone here on the boards. I then added a ton of layers of fabric paint and this gave it a rubber vinyl look and feel. Yesterday I dosed the Auger with flex seal. On this material it dried super quick and gave it a really nice black shine. On top of that you would otherwise have no idea it was sprayed at all as it feels smooth. Interesting to see the effect of it being sprayed on plastic directly and now on top of a previous vinyl like paint and getting two different outcomes

on a related note, the Joe figure where it was tarish is indeed getting harder. Still wont peel like I had hoped, but still cool enough to play around with

Comment

• TrueDave
                  Toy Maker
                  • Jan 12, 2008

Wow, you got this at Bed Bath and Beyond? Maybe I'l agree to go with my wife next time!
                  About the "NO ODOR": do you get any kind of queasy stomach feeling? (I got sensitive guts )
                  I'm trying to physically imagine the properties of this stuff. Would it be a good material for spraying rake handles or baseball bats with for a better grip?
                  So Stuntman isnt stiff? He's Like a wetsuit?

( THANK YOU for sharing your experiment!!!)

Comment

• mazinz
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by TrueDave
                    Wow, you got this at Bed Bath and Beyond? Maybe I'l agree to go with my wife next time!
                    About the "NO ODOR": do you get any kind of queasy stomach feeling? (I got sensitive guts )
                    I'm trying to physically imagine the properties of this stuff. Would it be a good material for spraying rake handles or baseball bats with for a better grip?
                    So Stuntman isnt stiff? He's Like a wetsuit?

( THANK YOU for sharing your experiment!!!)
                    Yeah it is more like a wet suit (but like any sort of rubber, from constant use might eventually wear out at the joint).

I would say do this outdoors in your case. Actually I would say spray it outdoors (unless it is an indoor house item like a pipe that needs sealing). Even in the cold we have where I am, spraying it outside and then letting it sit outside for a good 10-15 mins before bringing it in will help greatly.

Again it does have a tester's model glue smell to it. It does not spread throughout the house and goes no further then a foot or two from the object sprayed. The smell goes away fast as it dries

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

It might not work so good for mold making.... I suspect it's got some sort of adhesive property which would make it viable for sealing stuff. I wonder if you could use it for making wetsuits.... IF it does stick.... by coating the subject with a thin layer of vaseline.

Don C.

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                        Formerly known as Del
                        • Dec 12, 2004

I saw the commercial and was wondering if it would make a substitute for Plast-dip. It sounds like it would work for just a sprayed-on mask, but not for the removable gloves and masks I've made in the past. I've treated surfaces with clear coat or mold release, depending on what I was applying the Plasti-dip to. I wonder if that and possibly a thicker covering of Flex Seal would make it easier to peel off.
                        Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                        https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                        http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• mazinz
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by del
                          I saw the commercial and was wondering if it would make a substitute for Plast-dip. It sounds like it would work for just a sprayed-on mask, but not for the removable gloves and masks I've made in the past. I've treated surfaces with clear coat or mold release, depending on what I was applying the Plasti-dip to. I wonder if that and possibly a thicker covering of Flex Seal would make it easier to peel off.
                          Originally posted by ctc
                          Hmmmm....

It might not work so good for mold making.... I suspect it's got some sort of adhesive property which would make it viable for sealing stuff. I wonder if you could use it for making wetsuits.... IF it does stick.... by coating the subject with a thin layer of vaseline.

Don C.
                          Knowing what I know now, I would not use this stuff at all on any sort of mold unless you need the mold sealed on the outside (like if the mold cracked). This does not seem to peel like rubber so if you do play with it, keep in mind that you might destroy the mold in the end

Comment

• mazinz
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 2, 2007

Today I dosed another poor joe volunteer and then I put him inside a cut water bottle and filled it with white kids sand-- why.. who cares? I just want to see how neat he might look.

I want to see if this will fuse with the sand and stick to the figure.

A few hours later I pulled him out and he is still not exactly dry. I also noticed parts of the rubber off in the sand. I might have poured in the sand too quickly and probably should have let it dry on the figure for a few minutes first. Will report back with the final verdict soon

Comment

• mazinz
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 2, 2007

ok keeping him buried in the sand prevented the full drying it needed, so I stood him up and let it dry that way. Most of the sand did indeed stick and he now looks like some bad 1950's sci-fi monster in the snow (ape-ish). Even more so if I paint on new facial features
                              the pieces in the sand are what did not stick with the flex seal

front:

back:

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎