Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SUP-Ronin
    Stuck in a laundry shoot.
    • Oct 8, 2007

Maybe the senility kicks in fast for his race??

Agreed "Bloody Lucas"
    "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• wyldpny
      Star Trek Mego Customizer
      • Jan 29, 2008

I found it very interesting that when AFI aired their life achievement award tribute to George Lucas in 2005, the one person who stole the show was, no not a Star Wars or other Lucas movie alumni, but Trek icon William Shatner. The Shat owned the night and showed Lucas who was who. "It's George right? You can call me Mr. Sahtner". Priceless. At the end when the Stormtroopers were carrying Shatner out, he says to Lucas, "Live long and prosper George. Well, live long but you've prospered enough".
      Oh yeah, and did anyone catch Mark Hamill spending most of his time talking about having his picture on childrens underwear? LOL
      Oh, and Carrie Fisher followed Hamill with almost the exact same underwear joke.
      And Harrison Ford seemed actually angry and spiteful in his speech. What was up with that?
      It's so nice to see that after all these years they have such great memories of being in one of the biggest motion pictures of all time and it takes a Star Trek icon to actually make the show memorable.
      Last edited by wyldpny; Mar 23, '08, 7:06 PM.
      Capt. Kirk: "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?"
      Mr. Spock: "I am not aware of anyone who fits that description, Captain"
      Capt. Kirk: "No, Mr. Spock, I didn't think you would be"

Comment

• Brue
        User without title
        • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by wyldpny
        I hope you actually mean 1983 since Microsoft Word wasn't even created and released until 1983, though even at that time I don't think it was called MS Word but something more like Multiple Tools or something like that. Yes, I am a computer geek as well.
        No, I meant 1974 - It is impossible - that's my point

Comment

• wyldpny
          • Jan 29, 2008

Ok, well whatever your point was it got lost...
          Capt. Kirk: "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?"

Comment

• Vortigern99
            Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
            • Jul 2, 2006

wyldpny, I'm afraid you've got me pegged all wrong. I was 7 in '77 and saw the original film 7 times that year, and in '78 when it was re-released. I've been a sci-fi/genre fan almost my entire life and was deeply immersed in Starlog, Cinefantastique, and FM of Filmland from 1979 - 1987. Today, I'm a manager on the most popular STAR WARS message board on the web, at theforce.net. My thread there about Vader's Origins -- as a distinct and separate character from Anakin Skywalker -- inspired another member to create an e-book called The Secret History of Star Wars, which is a comprehensive study of every quote, article, interview and book ever published on the origins of the SW films. His findings contradict and call into question Lucasfilm's official stance on a number of questions about origins. The story about Ladd selecting the middle episode from an array of plotlines is in keeping with Lucas' assertions about having the entire story worked out for all three original films -- a single massive screenplay he later split into three -- which is patently and demonstrably untrue. Far from accepting the official statements from LFL, I challenge such falsifiable claims as utter baloney. The prequels existed as a page or two of backstory notes to support the story he wanted to write, which we now know as Ep. IV. There was nothing after it at any time until the writing of Empire Strikes Back; and there was nothing before it except, as I've said, a page or two of backstory notes. The claim about Ladd is simply wrong -- whether Lucas said it himself, or whether it was advanced by overeager copywriters for Starlog.

Comment

• wyldpny
              • Jan 29, 2008

Well, lets see...I was 15 when Star Wars came out and saw the film so many times I literally lost count LOL
              I can also claim that I have been a sci-fi fan pretty much my entire life and was deeply immersed in the same magazines and so forth. But that is true of so many others as well that we certainly can't claim that fact just for ourselves.
              Anyway, as for the disagreement we have on a few historical facts, I guess we can agree that we disagree
              Last edited by wyldpny; Mar 24, '08, 2:01 PM.

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

Not that I agree with Vort on "all" of his stances wyld...but Vort knows the "deal"---and
                has researched WAY beyond what a run-of-the-mill fan has---and deserves that respect..

Besides...and no offense...yeah, I can't really judge anyone to be a clear thinker
                who interprets Ford's simple speech/dry humor at the AFI as seemingly "actually angry
                and spiteful" Ford's speech and presentation were hilarious and in good fun---you really
                have to check yourself on stuff like that. Do you actually think Ford would speak
                in front of that crowd---and his "constant collaborators" (specifically Lucas & Speilberg)
                with anything except appreciation?

Oh yes...and call me when Lucas (or Ford etc.) appears at a tribute for Shatner and
                speaks in tribute
                Last edited by huedell; Mar 24, '08, 3:20 PM.
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• wyldpny
                  • Jan 29, 2008

I give anyone the benefit of the doubt to a point. I don't know him and he doesn't know me. And who are you to say that I also don't deserve respect as well? Do you know me? Obviously not. And where did I ever say I was just a run of the mill fan?

As for Harrison Ford and his speech, I was being sarcastic just as he was. You didn't think his comment about Sean Connery was a funny sarcastic comment?
                  And if any Star Wars cast members are ever at a Shatner tribute, I hope they can handle it as well as the Shat did

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

Apologies if I'm out of line wyld but you saying that you've been immersed
                    in sci-fi magazines didn't come of as much more than your prototypical
                    sci-fi fan---

----add to that that Vort has written an entire book on the subject
                    that reads very professionally (altho' I admittedly haven't read the whole of it)
                    and the whole scenario left me to jump to a certain conclusion about your
                    level of knowledge regarding these issues---so, again, apologies
                    if I'm offbase---and, well, there's always an opportunity for you to shed more
                    light on your background if you'd like.

And if your post points regarding the AFI speech(es) were made in good fun and
                    in good humor as Ford's speech was (as you described your post)---well, I totally missed
                    that (and after re-reading your post I still do)---so, I'll take your clarification under
                    advisement as it pertains to me missing that aspect.

And Shatner opening the show was quite cool. One thing I'll give Shat--- is he's a
                    powerful showman---Hamill's a great ham too---just doesn't have the charisma
                    (too bad Hamill can't get a charisma transplant from Ford!)
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Vortigern99
                      Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
                      • Jul 2, 2006

We all deserve respect! I didn't mean to imply otherwise, and I'm certain Huedell didn't either. And for the record, wyldpny, I was only offering my credentials as a genre fan in order to counter your earlier-stated opinion that I didn't grow up in the 70s or read the same fan mags and so forth. I didn't mean to come across as though I were boasting about it, but merely stating the facts. But Huedell is correct insofar as I have researched beyond what the average fan has done with regard to the origins of STAR WARS. There are reams of interviews with Lucas from the 70s in which he contradicts reams of recent interviews. For the most part I tend to take Lucas' earlier statements as more accurate -- not to say he's now "lying", but perhaps misremembering or stating things as he would have liked them to be. With regard to the Ladd story, it simply doesn't match up with the documentary evidence (the rough drafts, notes and treatments of the original film, which were stolen in the late 70s and are now posted on-line for all to read, OR available in summary in the Lucas-published Annotated Screenplays), nor does it match up with many other statements Lucas has made over the years about the prequels only existing as rough backstory and his desire to start the series in the middle of the story, as though one were watching a middle episode of the old Republic serials without having seen the previous episodes. I suspect the Ladd story was made in error by an overeager copy-writer at Starlog, because it has never appeared in any other form and does not match the data we have on that score.

Comment

• wyldpny
                        • Jan 29, 2008

Perhaps I assumed too much about you as well.
                        And I am well aware of most of the things you stated.
                        I'm sure that you are well aware that there are those who question the "stolen" documents story and feel it was more of an interesting way for Lucas to possibly leak what he wanted people to see at the time. Remember that 20th Century Fox, Lucas and his crew even back in 1977 did one of the better jobs in keeping things secret and not having leaks or "break-ins" which is why many think it was leaked on purpose. Personally I have no idea myself, but in the end I really don't feel whether they were truly stolen or leaked on purpose that it effects the things I believe are true and those I feel are not.
                        As for the Ladd situation, as I said earlier, on some things we can agree to disagree
                        Last edited by wyldpny; Mar 25, '08, 8:13 PM.

Comment

• Vortigern99
                          Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
                          • Jul 2, 2006

That's interesting about the possible shady origins of the early drafts. I've never heard or read anything about their being called into question. If they are forgeries of some kind they are incredibly convincing, but for two reasons I'm disinclined to believe they are anything other than wholly authentic:

1. The early drafts match up exactly with the Lucasbooks-published summary book, The Annotated Screenplays, first published in 1997. This shows that no outside agent could have forged the drafts and treatments in the late 70s. (I realize you're saying that Lucas himself might have released the scripts, but bear with me here.)

2. The early drafts show that Luke's father was originally, and throughout the various drafts, a distinct and separate character from Darth Vader, existing in the same timeframe. This directly contradicts Lucas' claims that he "always envisioned Vader and Anakin as one character".

If Lucas had intentionally released the early drafts, he would have been shooting himself in the foot since they disprove on of his most cherished statements as to the origins of STAR WARS. It doesn't make sense for him to say one thing -- Vader and Anakin have always been the same -- and then secretly release these supposedly forged documents which actually contest this statement.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎