Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noelani72
    27inaleon
    • Jun 25, 2002

I'm really happy Calibos is going over so well. The kudos are truly appreciated.
    June is so far off, yet right around the corner...I haven't touched the figure since my last picture update...was kinda wearing me out. You can always tell when it is time to step back from a project and look it over really good.
    I had a little time today to ponder printed art to go with the display case. I have a couple designs worked up that I like...time will tell. I'll have to get a couple printed and see how they look. I will not be doing a full box-type means of artwork..just a panel or two.

Comment

• HumanWolfman
      Type3Toys Has Transformed
      • Oct 5, 2011

This has really come a long way from the first time I read this post. Simply beautiful!!
      View My Customs
      www.type3toys.com
      or check here
      http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

• noelani72
        27inaleon
        • Jun 25, 2002

Got back on the project this weekend.
        Worked on the belt, artwork, and his toga.

While on the hunt for trinkets to build into my belt, I found these little charms for bracelets. Re-watching the movie, he has a weird little cartoonish god stitched onto the back panel of his throne; so the little sunburst charm suited me fine for a buckle.

I rolled out some clay (oven safe clay this time lol) and squished in the charms. I didn't measure a thing, just eyeballed everything. Once I cooked it for a few minutes, I whipped up a crude mold box and cast that sucker.

The resin copy came out awesome - I'll post those pics later today to show you how I am shaping these.
        Plus, you'll see my very first attempts at sewing - hand sewing and chicken scratching a pattern to build the toga. Since he has that tail going on, the toga won't wrap between his legs. I know that's how it is in the movie; but every single person who I showed both styles to clearly said to leave it like a mini greek-roman skirt thingie.

Also pictured here is another accidental find. Mego sized bullwhip braided rope. This stuff comes in 40" length and will most likely replaced my previous idea for whip material.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by noelani72
          thanks! If I move 100 of these; I'll quit my day job
          Start taking orders!
          You might be surprised...
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• noelani72
            27inaleon
            • Jun 25, 2002

whew. What a looong day.

I made a batch of belts..each shaped by hand.
            I finished my outfit design and got em all hand sewn.

The belt is cast in dark brown, sprayed black and will get some further highlighting with bronze/gold.

My custom base works if I turn it 180 degrees and gives me a more menacing pose which I like very much.

Comment

• ScottA
              Original Member
              • Jun 25, 2001

That is so awesome.
              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• noelani72
                27inaleon
                • Jun 25, 2002

Thanks Scott!
                You ought to see my kitchen table

I have the bestest wife for letting me monopolize the area right now.

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

That is one of the best customs I've ever seen. Absolutely amazing work from top to bottom.

You should be proud!

Comment

• Trappy Trek Freak
                    House of a thousand Megos
                    • Aug 10, 2009

AWESOME!!!!!! It woudl be cool to do up a whole line of these!!!
                    Flickr: Trappy74's Photostream

Comment

• noelani72
                      27inaleon
                      • Jun 25, 2002

Thanks!
                      I've always wanted Calibos in this medium before; kinda surprised no one has done him until now.

There is a small army of these guys on display in my kitchen.

Amazing how many different tools, parts, supplies, etc I have used so far...I had to box up a bunch of stuff that was part of phase1 just to clear room on the table so I could work.

Course, it took knocking over a couple figs and two tails getting broke to motivate me..but hey, whaddya do? lol

Since he is still a work in progress, I just hope I don't muck it all up when I start painting. If I jack that face up, it's all over. I have a pretty steady hand, but doing eyes freehand is pretty difficult to begin with. I recall how DaveMC would say how he'd do mass heads in groups..work on one thing at a time...let em dry...do another step...fix any goofs...let em dry..another step..etc..I might get one of those magnifier lenses with a light in it and clamp it to the table so I can really see to do the eye liner.
                      I envision two weeks alone to paint a dozen heads.

Something this has shown me is the extreme amount of work and talent folks like John @ Type3Toys put into figures. Seeing his stuff at the Meets has been truly inspiring. I mean, sersly...it is a craft where ya need patience. Doing a dozen of my belts this weekend wore me out. But, it was my own fault. I should have had the togas done first...instead, I jumped on the belt. While resin was setting, I would cut out my pattern and start sewing. I got into a pretty good rhythm. Mix resin, pour resin, trace pattern, cut out pattern, sew pattern, dress figure, remove belt from mold, hope belt didn't mess up, shape belt over figure, remove belt from figure, continue to shape belt, mix more resin, start process all over.
                      My back was killing me by the end of the weekend from sitting at he table too long. lol

The project is downhill from here.
                      It is February and my lot to bring to the Meet is more than halfway done with time to spare, so if I mess anything up, I have no one to blame but myself.

I'm sure once a dozen are sitting, ready to head to W. Virginia, I'll see little things to change or little things to add while I stare at em and continue to brainstorm.

If they do well at the Meet, and a second run is there; I'll feel rushed. Last thing I want are a dozen folks asking where their figure is at come December 2012 haha.

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Noelani,

I sent you a PM...I'd be happy to paint the heads, detail the hooves, etc.

I just finished up all my ongoing projects. Since they are already color cast, I could knock out a dozen figures for you in one weekend.

LMK

Comment

• rche
                          channeling Bob Wills
                          • Mar 26, 2008

I don't know if this has been suggested anywhere in the thread or not. But, rather than try to do a second run, you could make kits with the unique parts cast. Sell them unassembled / unpainted and let the customizer finish out paints, body, and textiles.

I know I would be into a kit like this and I know that I will not be able to get to MMeet.

Comment

• noelani72
                            27inaleon
                            • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by enyawd72
                            Noelani,

I sent you a PM...I'd be happy to paint the heads, detail the hooves, etc.

I just finished up all my ongoing projects. Since they are already color cast, I could knock out a dozen figures for you in one weekend.

LMK
                            PM back ya. Thanks for the offer, and your painting skills are simply awesome, but I'm gonna really try my best...might even dust off the airbrush

Originally posted by rche
                            I don't know if this has been suggested anywhere in the thread or not. But, rather than try to do a second run, you could make kits with the unique parts cast. Sell them unassembled / unpainted and let the customizer finish out paints, body, and textiles.

I know I would be into a kit like this and I know that I will not be able to get to MMeet.
                            Yessir, it has been mentioned; err, at least I have been in PM's about it..keeping it all straight is confusing at times

Lets just see what happens at the Meet.
                            I think he's an interesting enough figure that he should do well, if not sell -out altogether.
                            Having that said, I know last year's meet was tight for my budget - others complained of the same thing. Hopefully this year is not a repeat of that.

Comment

• Meule
                              Verbose Member
                              • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by noelani72
                              Lets just see what happens at the Meet.
                              I think he's an interesting enough figure that he should do well, if not sell -out altogether.
                              I hope you'll have one with my name on it
                              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Werewolf
                                Inhuman
                                • Jul 14, 2003

That is insanely cool.
                                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎