Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Right now I'm dealing with the logistics of custom order letter fonts...they are very pricey...so I'm shopping around for a good deal.

I would prefer metal/aluminum...but they are just way too expensive (and I do mean EXPENSIVE)...I found a place that makes acrylic letters at cheaper prices...it took me an entire week of googling on the net...and finally found a place that makes them in the font design I want...Broadway...

A computer rendering:

I'm still deciding to order either 3" or 4" tall letters...the globe's ring will be about 16" across. The letters will also be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.

Now...should I just place DAILY PLANET? Or include the THE...THE DAILY PLANET?

sigpic

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

Man i wish I knew what to tell ya here bro, i know nothing about customs But i have a feeling you'll be good at it bro..you're artistic and creative..you'll be fine
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

What you guys think...

I'm going to paint the globe metallic gold.

Now...

What would look cooler?

Gold planet, gold letters...

Gold planet, white letters...

I need input, people!

sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

I would just go with "Daily Planet".

The font looks pretty close. The captial "Y" is the only one that looks notably different (although it is much closer in lower case).

But before you order anything, print out a trial run on your printer and make sure it looks exactly the way that you want with your globe and all the rest. Even just pasted onto cardboard or whatever, it will help you ensure the style and scale are right, and help you figure out how you are going to assemble it all together.

Comment

• piecemaker
            There's no need to fear..
            • Jan 26, 2009

I'd just go with DAILY PLANET like in your pics.As far as the letter size,i did a quick measuring of your first pic,i'm sure they all vary some but its aproximately 4 inches and the letters are about 3/4 to one inch which is 1/4 the width of the globe.Your globe is 16inches so 1/4 of that is 4 inches.I would draw(rough sketch) it out full scale and see which size letters either 3in or 4in look most like whatever pic you are going to base this on.

Comment

• piecemaker
              • Jan 26, 2009

Gold letters,14 karat gold. The globe in the first pic looks black with the sun reflecting off it,i think that one looks cool.

Comment

• megoscott
                Founding Partner
                • Nov 17, 2006

How are you going to do the letters? 3d freestanding or applied to a ring?

I know you've seen this before, but I'll post mine for inspiration. My font was pretty average, but it as what I found at the art store.

This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

I have always loved your Daily Planet globe, Scott..and I have to say...yours was the inspiration for my project...

I will get thick enough letters (3D freestanding), because I plan on drilling the bottom...and screw them on top of the metal ring.

Sort of like this...

Last edited by Hector; Jan 25, '12, 12:01 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel
                    I would just go with "Daily Planet".

The font looks pretty close. The captial "Y" is the only one that looks notably different (although it is much closer in lower case).

But before you order anything, print out a trial run on your printer and make sure it looks exactly the way that you want with your globe and all the rest. Even just pasted onto cardboard or whatever, it will help you ensure the style and scale are right, and help you figure out how you are going to assemble it all together.
                    Thanks, I appreciate your input...and will follow through...

Here's the DAILY PLANET...Broadway fonts...gold and white...

sigpic

Comment

• jessica
                      fortune favors the bold
                      • Nov 5, 2007

Here's a thought!! How about Planet of the Apes? HAR HAR HAR
                      Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                      Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                      1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                      1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by piecemaker
                        I'd just go with DAILY PLANET like in your pics.As far as the letter size,i did a quick measuring of your first pic,i'm sure they all vary some but its aproximately 4 inches and the letters are about 3/4 to one inch which is 1/4 the width of the globe.Your globe is 16inches so 1/4 of that is 4 inches.I would draw(rough sketch) it out full scale and see which size letters either 3in or 4in look most like whatever pic you are going to base this on.
                        Man...thanks for the math/measurements...much appreciated!

Yeah, I think the THE is too much...a stand alone DAILY PLANET is more clean...agreed.

It will only be placed on one side...it's not a rotating globe...so a two-sided DAILY PLANET sign doesn't make sense...plus it will be expensive enough for the letters...I don't wanna spend twice as much...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by jessica
                          Here's a thought!! How about Planet of the Apes? HAR HAR HAR
                          sigpic

Comment

• megoscott
                            Founding Partner
                            • Nov 17, 2006

Freestanding lasercut letters will be badass.
                            This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by MegoScott
                              Freestanding lasercut letters will be badass.
                              Yep...they will be lasercut letters...pricey...but you only live once...

Last edited by Hector; Jan 25, '12, 12:12 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

• piecemaker
                                • Jan 26, 2009

I agree,laser or water jetted letters would be the way to go.Looking around earlier i found this place.They say no job to small,have a variety of materials/finishes to choose from and they could do the letters exactly as pictured,dont know about the price,but this place or one like it could do the ring and letters and would definately be the way to go.http://letterama.com/

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎