X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Retro Playgrounds Part 1 : Space Themes

Our final catalog of the year is kind of fitting as it's a retro look into the future. This is the first in our series of retro playground equipment, when galvanised pipe and concrete could be made to form rockets, giants bugs or tee pees. Click here to check out Space Themed Play Grounds.

Visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Holy crap, that "Enterprise" playground is the coolest thing I have ever seen.

Our local playground (just across the street from my house) was duller than dishwater compared to these. Just the usual teeter-totters, swings, merry-go-rounds, monkeybars and slides. No warp nacelles or saucer sections!

Thanks for sharing Brian.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I've got a lot more where that came from, I just decided to break it up. The park across from my Grandmothers had a rocket ship similiar to the ones on the page, i was always fascinated with it.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• LJNfan
        • Dec 23, 2007

A local city park where I grew up also had the rocket slide, it was the coolest thing for a young lad. I can remember constantly bugging my parents to take me there, I think they just recently tore it down though, too bad.
        sigpic Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is Bowling. There are rules.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 1, 2005

My local park had an awesome rocket slide, that had three different slides coming out of it- a curly one that wrapped around it, a long straight one, and a short straight one (for the really little kids, or the wimps ) I can clearly recall bugging my family, my babysitters, and anyone who'd listen, into taking me to that park to play on that rocket slide. It's long since gone.

Comment

• Ranger 3
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 25, 2007

I used to see one of those rocket slides outside a motel everytime I would travel from Florida to North Carolina back in the 80s/early 90s.

Mark

Comment

• ABMAC
              User
              • May 16, 2002

The playground at the kids' area of the psychiatric hospital I worked at had the rocket slide. The description says the pipes around the outside were supposed to "help prevent falls," but they didn't figure on pre-teen mental patients using them, I guess. The kids would squeeze out between the bars and slide down the poles on the outside of the rocket.

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

man that space themed one is freakin' awesome,I wish I could play in that even now
                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• PCofmisfittoys
                  Banned
                  • Oct 17, 2007

the ultimate is still the Mcdonaldland set. The Star Wars Jedi swing set is still my favorite space themed. I would think there are landfills full of great classic playground equipment. It's a great EBAY search too.

Comment

• mego73
                    Printed paperboard Tiger
                    • Aug 1, 2003

I can't believe Paramount didn't raise a stink over that Enterprise like contraption

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• HardyGirl
                      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                      • Apr 3, 2007

Yeah, there was a park in San Clemente, Ca called Rocket Park b/c it had a HUGE rocket slide. Here in Oakland, we have Astro Park. Until a few years ago, there was a flying saucer climbing structure which was tons of fun. Now they just have a big asteroid. One of our local stations was showing the Star Trek cartoon every afternoon, so when I went to the park afterwards, all of us kids would play Star Trek in the flying saucer, arguing over who was to be Captain Kirk. Good times!
                      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• garagesale
                        Dept. of Mego Studies
                        • Aug 8, 2006

I wonder if there are any dedicated nostalgics out there who have recreated or reconstructed playgrounds like in their own backyards... for their own kids or just for themselves to look at.

Today you could definitely look at these playgrounds as pop art mega-sculpture!

JamesD

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎