X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cosmicman
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 12, 2005

Starsky & Hutch: Gran Torino

For some of you that have not seen what has been on the back burner for us concerning the Gran Torino, I will give you an update.

My daughter and I found this beat up white racing Gran Torino toy car in a junk box at a consignment antique store.
    This has been a project of ours for about a year or so, ripping the caged racing seats out, repainting the car and adding headlights (circular mirrors from craft shops to fit the grill for that TV show look.)

How it originally looked after I stripped it down and added the tricky red color to the white shell

This was before the white stripe was evened up and added after the paint tape was removed and later evened up. Also note the front grill with the custom head lights are not on.

As you can see, we are still not done. It's not officially completed until I can figure out a permanent solution to the seats on the inside. Right now, it only has one seat and I want to try and create a long singular seat (as seen on TV).
    There's no way the figures will be able to fit in the car but it sure looks good posing them around it.
    Also, I'm trying to find something that resembles the spinning red singular police light that they would slip on top when in pursuit of a chase. It's really hard to find anything that looks like it. Creating it out of sculpty would look tacky and I want to make it look halfway decent.

Any ideas or thoughts welcomed. This thing will always be a "work in progress" until I can complete those two things.
    I apologize for the super heroes and villains standing around the car. The shelf that the car is on (with the Avenger's mansion) is loaded with figures and we were just being funny.

"Get the **** back off my car. Anyone of you guy's scratch this and you're going down town. I mean it!"
    More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...
  • ddgaff1132
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 3, 2007

Your projects are like Christmas candy to me!!! Dig the Mego vehicle stuff. To the light issue. If you cannot find an emergency type vehicle to scavenge a red light cover and bulb. I'd goto a good Radio Shack. They usually have little red light covers used on control panels and such. They can also provide a flashing diode (LED Bulb).to put inside.
    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
    MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• Cosmicman
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by ddgaff1132
      Your projects are like Christmas candy to me!!! Dig the Mego vehicle stuff. To the light issue. If you cannot find an emergency type vehicle to scavenge a red light cover and bulb. I'd goto a good Radio Shack. They usually have little red light covers used on control panels and such. They can also provide a flashing diode (LED Bulb).to put inside.
      Dude! That's a brilliant idea. I never thought of that! Awesome idea!!!
      More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• captact
        King of Super Queens!
        • Aug 19, 2007

Any updates on your custom Gran Torino car???????

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎