X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megomania
    Persistent Member
    • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by MIB41
    I guess the question has to be asked here. What is the expectation? And how far do you let it go? At this stage, I think they sell better out of makeup than in it. For better or worse, the makeup is a gimmick. So when does the esthetic lose it's luster? Are you seeing it as it is or through fan glasses? Because I've been a fan since the 70's and attended KISS concerts in every era. But I would not pay a dime to see them today. Gene is fat. Stanley has lost his voice and is wearing a BAD wig. And I've seen better impersonators of Ace and Peter in KISS cover bands. So what is the draw? How can I, as a long time fan, justify good money for an experience that can not remotely match past performances from just ten years ago? Do you realize they are charging $1,400.00 just to meet them now? That's insane! I've met most of these guys during their best years and never paid a dime for the experience. So they are really sticking it to fans who close their eyes and follow the same old sales pitch. I think my skepticism is pretty realistic and grounded.

Paul McCartney could get the sons from his deceased band members and tour as the Beatles. Does that mean it's the Beatles? No. I liked everything KISS did up to Psycho Circus. Personally I think they should have retired as sold on the Farewell Tour. It was the original band, they looked and played well, and gave a memorable performance. It would have been an ideal exit for them. So, from my perspective, if you still want to see them in whatever guise they sell themselves in, that's great. But to the band I would say this... "Please don't ask the remaining loyal followers to pay more than what you can give back." Because in my eyes they have finally become what their critics have said for decades. A washed up act hiding behind costumes. To that end, I now have to agree. Don't get up on stage, if you can't do it anymore. In my eyes, KISS is gone. And seeing this incarnation is painfully embarrassing. I'm not blaming Paul Stanley for being 60 and still wanting to do it. The question is, SHOULD he be doing it and charging a big ticket price for fans to watch a reduced performance? There's a reason why they can't play in big arenas anymore. And there's a reason why they now have to pair up with the Crue just play in Amphitheaters. So their market share is pretty limited. And as a fan this is not the way I envisioned them going out. It's very sad.
    Very well said but no one is holding a gun to these peoples heads who pay outrageous prices to hear them and/or meet them. As long as people will pay KISS will continue to play.

I paid ~$200 per ticket in 2009 (maybe 2010) to see them at Key Arena...it wasn't worth it to me after the fact less so because of the 'performance' but more so because I just can't get past no Ace or Peter.

-Chris

Comment

• Mongoose1983
      Career Member
      • May 14, 2010

Originally posted by MIB41
      I guess the question has to be asked here. What is the expectation? And how far do you let it go? At this stage, I think they sell better out of makeup than in it. For better or worse, the makeup is a gimmick. So when does the esthetic lose it's luster? Are you seeing it as it is or through fan glasses? Because I've been a fan since the 70's and attended KISS concerts in every era. But I would not pay a dime to see them today. Gene is fat. Stanley has lost his voice and is wearing a BAD wig. And I've seen better impersonators of Ace and Peter in KISS cover bands. So what is the draw? How can I, as a long time fan, justify good money for an experience that can not remotely match past performances from just ten years ago? Do you realize they are charging $1,400.00 just to meet them now? That's insane! I've met most of these guys during their best years and never paid a dime for the experience. So they are really sticking it to fans who close their eyes and follow the same old sales pitch. I think my skepticism is pretty realistic and grounded.

Paul McCartney could get the sons from his deceased band members and tour as the Beatles. Does that mean it's the Beatles? No. I liked everything KISS did up to Psycho Circus. Personally I think they should have retired as sold on the Farewell Tour. It was the original band, they looked and played well, and gave a memorable performance. It would have been an ideal exit for them. So, from my perspective, if you still want to see them in whatever guise they sell themselves in, that's great. But to the band I would say this... "Please don't ask the remaining loyal followers to pay more than what you can give back." Because in my eyes they have finally become what their critics have said for decades. A washed up act hiding behind costumes. To that end, I now have to agree. Don't get up on stage, if you can't do it anymore. In my eyes, KISS is gone. And seeing this incarnation is painfully embarrassing. I'm not blaming Paul Stanley for being 60 and still wanting to do it. The question is, SHOULD he be doing it and charging a big ticket price for fans to watch a reduced performance? There's a reason why they can't play in big arenas anymore. And there's a reason why they now have to pair up with the Crue just play in Amphitheaters. So their market share is pretty limited. And as a fan this is not the way I envisioned them going out. It's very sad.
      Well, all aspects of Smith's "demand & supply" principle are useful to understand the problem you're addressing. Of course I think you make some interesting points, but Gene and Paul are free to sell whatever they want, at whatever the prices people want to pay. So what's the reason for them to keep playing, and keep using the costumes that don't fit them as good as back in good old 1977? Just because there's people out there willing to pay. You can't fight them. They are still there. They want to pay $200 or maybe $20000 just to be near and get to see them playing. And all this never quite as good as back in the 70's, of course.

And what can be said about other bands, and high-minded rock critics? To my eyes (and ears) Gene, Paul, and the boys, they have nothing to prove. Listen to the old albums. The legend is all there! I'm sure historians of the Western Civilization will mention KISS in the centuries to come when talking about American pop culture. Do you really believe anybody will remember who Geddy Lee was (incredible player that he is) in the centuries to come?

Paul, Gene, and the boys are musicians and showmen. That's what they did to earn their lives since they were kids. Again, you can't expect them to have the same qualities of a young rock and roller when in their sixties, and I honestly doubt they will go for a rocking chair instead of a guitar as long as they can still play. They can do as they want. And fortunately people is still free to choose. If their show is not as good as the ones from the 70's, then keep listening to their old LPs.
      www.tamiyaclub.com/member.asp?id=23692

Comment

• mego73
        Printed paperboard Tiger
        • Aug 1, 2003

I don't care, I love all those guys and accept that they have flaws. I became a KISS fan just about the time they were sort of waning with Dynasty. They came to do a concert but I was told by the parents I was too young to go alone and they knew they couldn't take a whole concert so I was out of luck.

By the time I actaully did get to see them for Creatures of the Night, they didn't have Peter anymore and then I got to the concert and discovered they didn't have Ace anymore either (at first I thought Acewas trying a new makeup). I loved that concert and the few concerts I saw once they took off the makeup. But I felt so burned that I missed out on that all 4 original guys 70's show, I felt I missed out on that for good.

And then, 1997 happened and all 4 of them were able to get it together and do an updated 70's style show. And they kept it together more or less for about 5 years. I knew it couldn't last forever. I saw them 4 times in that space of time. Loved it.

I am not as hopped up this day and age to see them but if they come to my area, I might go for it.

And if the act still sells, then they should go for it as long as they feel like it as far as I am concerned.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• Dark Shadow
          Creature Of The Night
          • May 14, 2011

Been a fan since Thanksgiving '75. Never thought of them as the greatest Rock band, (Queen has always held that title as far as I was concerned), they were and remain nothing more than a mindless form of unique and fun entertainment for me. Loved the simplistic & raw tunes, loved the look, loved the personas, loved the merchandise, and most of all loved the show itself. Critics hated them early on, parents hated them early on.

I've watched as fans dropped off with the release of Destroyer, RnR Over, Love Gun, Solos, the movie, and in even larger numbers with Dynasty & Unmasked. Soon after came the exodus of Peter & Ace fans. Then there were those who were turned off by the dropping of the makeup. A few more left after Vincent was booted, and many checked out after Eric passed away. Others went by the wayside from that point up through when the Reunion was announced, mostly out of disinterest.

While the Reunion brought home a large mass of wayward fans, it also alienated many staunch 80's/90's fans who felt betrayed by that perceived abrupt turn of events. Many went about their merry way after the Reunion tour passed through their towns, others after the 2nd leg. Psycho Circus sent even more packing, and history repeated itself when Pete & Ace departed yet again.

Still, with all of those departures, the last time KISS passed through Los Angeles on their own (2009) they filled the StaplesCenter, The Anaheim Pond and the San Diego Sports Arena...all within a 5 day period. Not bad for a band that has turned so many people off for so many decades. Especially when you consider that they couldn't sell out their one & only So. Cal show in 1992, which was held in a small 5000 capacity auditorium in San Bernardino. I can't name many American bands that had their heyday in the 70's that can still fill arenas...much less stadiums.

Earlier this year, a friend of mine was shocked when he saw Paul Stanley on George Lopez without makeup and without his stage wig. He actually felt betrayed that Paul wore a wig on stage and stated that he couldn't take him seriously any more. I couldn't help but laugh out loud since it was obvious to me that Paul's been wearing extensions & wigs onstage and offstage consistently since about 1985. Even Ace & Pete wore extensions during the Reunion tour. Not to mention Gene's fair share of raccoon hats & bouffant dos over the past 2.5 decades. I think what I found funnier than that is here's a band that has worn makeup, lipstick, tights and high heels to an absurd level for decades and yet somehow wigs make them incredulous...absolutely hilarious!

I've had a great time at every single show I have seen, regardless of lineup (even the one & only w/o Paul), and I look forward to future shows. As long as they're performing to the best of their abilities, they have absolutely nothing to apologize for. When it comes to KISS (as always) I check my lofty expectations at the door and let myself have some mindless fun.

Comment

• huedell
            Museum Ball Eater
            • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
            I've had a great time at every single show I have seen, regardless of lineup (even the one & only w/o Paul), and I look forward to future shows. As long as they're performing to the best of their abilities, they have absolutely nothing to apologize for. When it comes to KISS (as always) I check my lofty expectations at the door and let myself have some mindless fun.
            I truly enjoyed your post and echo your sentiments in every vital way.

I'll go one step further and say that even though it's tough to ignore
            the "mindless" nature of a band that is significantly fickle in its
            manuevering of its rock n roll ethics as well as a band with essentiallly
            more simplistic musical/lyrical ideas... being so intimate with the band's
            history/material makes we wanna recognize there's parts of KISS
            that reflect a deeper meaning/spirituality for me that dwarfs
            seemingly "better" bands w/tons more of what could be considered typical credibility.

Admittedly what I just typed could be applied to so much in our lives....
            its what makes us who we are: "Choices"... no matter the resons behind them.

And I'm sure everyone here recognizes this in some form....

but just thought I'd type it out here.... because KISS can exist like this
            for so many people... a "guilty pleasure" because of its comprable silliness
            that can actually still be a key part of a rock fan's musical identity.

And this is due to the mysterious charisma of the KISS legacy
            and its strange ability to forge some of rock history's most passionate fans
            (and critics!).
            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Mongoose1983
              Career Member
              • May 14, 2010

Originally posted by huedell
              I truly enjoyed your post and echo your sentiments in every vital way.

I'll go one step further and say that even though it's tough to ignore
              the "mindless" nature of a band that is significantly fickle in its
              manuevering of its rock n roll ethics as well as a band with essentiallly
              more simplistic musical/lyrical ideas... being so intimate with the band's
              history/material makes we wanna recognize there's parts of KISS
              that reflect a deeper meaning/spirituality for me that dwarfs
              seemingly "better" bands w/tons more of what could be considered typical credibility.

Admittedly what I just typed could be applied to so much in our lives....
              its what makes us who we are: "Choices"... no matter the resons behind them.

And I'm sure everyone here recognizes this in some form....

but just thought I'd type it out here.... because KISS can exist like this
              for so many people... a "guilty pleasure" because of its comprable silliness
              that can actually still be a key part of a rock fan's musical identity.

And this is due to the mysterious charisma of the KISS legacy
              and its strange ability to forge some of rock history's most passionate fans
              (and critics!).
              I agree with you. Very well said.
              www.tamiyaclub.com/member.asp?id=23692

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                Persistent Member
                • Mar 1, 2005

I will be quite happy to see KISS go on for years and years, long after Paul and Gene have retired, with new guys performing as the starchild and demon. If KISS quit for good, I would just wind up seeking out the various tribute acts in order to be entertained and see/hear those songs being performed, and odds are it won't be up to the standard that it would be if it were a properly sanctioned and backed "official tribute" act called KISS. Ace and Peter sold the rights to those characters, and when I witnessed their poor performances during the Farewell tour in 2000, honestly I never wanted to see those two guys in the makeup ever again. Eric and Tommy play great and are also fans and respectful of the legacy, I support them fully. As for Ace's book, I thought it was a decent read, had some funny bits, etc. Ace was my hero from childhood and one of the main reasons I became a musician, so I will always have regard for him, but I've been let down by him too many times with poor performances etc., watching/listening to him onstage and thinking, "oh man, what a mess". I'd rather go pay to see an impersonator do a respectful rendition of the "Spaceman" at this point. I don't expect everyone else to feel the same way as I do about it, I understand. This is just how it is for me. I enjoy the KISS experience, as long as it's bombastic, fun, and sounds good.

That being said, they're gonna have a heck of a time finding a new Starchild, because I've seen many good Demon, Spaceman, and Catman tribute guys out there but hardly any who can truly pull off Paul's voice and moves and presence!

Comment

• mego73
                  Printed paperboard Tiger
                  • Aug 1, 2003

I think Gene got plugs a long time ago but I still see that he wears a little widow's peak hairpiece when he puts on the makeup. Sometimes you can see the mesh.

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
                  Been a fan since Thanksgiving '75. Never thought of them as the greatest Rock band, (Queen has always held that title as far as I was concerned), they were and remain nothing more than a mindless form of unique and fun entertainment for me. Loved the simplistic & raw tunes, loved the look, loved the personas, loved the merchandise, and most of all loved the show itself. Critics hated them early on, parents hated them early on.

I've watched as fans dropped off with the release of Destroyer, RnR Over, Love Gun, Solos, the movie, and in even larger numbers with Dynasty & Unmasked. Soon after came the exodus of Peter & Ace fans. Then there were those who were turned off by the dropping of the makeup. A few more left after Vincent was booted, and many checked out after Eric passed away. Others went by the wayside from that point up through when the Reunion was announced, mostly out of disinterest.

While the Reunion brought home a large mass of wayward fans, it also alienated many staunch 80's/90's fans who felt betrayed by that perceived abrupt turn of events. Many went about their merry way after the Reunion tour passed through their towns, others after the 2nd leg. Psycho Circus sent even more packing, and history repeated itself when Pete & Ace departed yet again.

Still, with all of those departures, the last time KISS passed through Los Angeles on their own (2009) they filled the StaplesCenter, The Anaheim Pond and the San Diego Sports Arena...all within a 5 day period. Not bad for a band that has turned so many people off for so many decades. Especially when you consider that they couldn't sell out their one & only So. Cal show in 1992, which was held in a small 5000 capacity auditorium in San Bernardino. I can't name many American bands that had their heyday in the 70's that can still fill arenas...much less stadiums.

Earlier this year, a friend of mine was shocked when he saw Paul Stanley on George Lopez without makeup and without his stage wig. He actually felt betrayed that Paul wore a wig on stage and stated that he couldn't take him seriously any more. I couldn't help but laugh out loud since it was obvious to me that Paul's been wearing extensions & wigs onstage and offstage consistently since about 1985. Even Ace & Pete wore extensions during the Reunion tour. Not to mention Gene's fair share of raccoon hats & bouffant dos over the past 2.5 decades. I think what I found funnier than that is here's a band that has worn makeup, lipstick, tights and high heels to an absurd level for decades and yet somehow wigs make them incredulous...absolutely hilarious!

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Bands like Kiss and Alice Cooper have always been about the characters, story and the spectacle just as much as the music. I don't want to go to a concert and see Vincent Furnier. I want to see him in character as Alice Cooper. I don't want to see a Kiss concert with short haired Stanley Eisen singing. I want to see him wigged and in costume as the Starchild.

Seeing David Lee Roth in concert with short hair and a comb over probably works just fine for Van Halen. But it's not going to work for Kiss.
                    Last edited by Werewolf; Jun 10, '12, 11:14 PM.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎