Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ace Frehley - No Regrets - Reviewed

Blog Entries

Ace Frehley - No Regrets - Reviewed

Hey gang! I got the opportunity to read this over the past couple days and wanted to share my take on it. At this moment the review is in the pre-posting phase. The reason for starting the thread now though is to hopefully trigger the Amazon banner to recommend the book upon entering this thread. I'm pushing for those that are encouraged by my review to buy the book via the Museum's Amazon banner. I needed the link before I publish so pardon me for this 'teaser'.

Ace Frehley - No Regrets reviewed in the Toy Box coming soon!

Blog Entries
    I still have to do the pics but I can't leave those interested hanging... it really is a good book...

‘Ace Frehley – No Regrets’ – Amen, Spaceman. | Jims Toy Box

Images
    I'm picking that up to read this weekend. Thanks for the tip on where to buy. I'm in Target alot and wouldn't have thought to look for it there. I've heard alot of groaning from fans on KISS sites. And these are coming from long time KISS fans too. The complaint seems to be that Ace was sparse on details, and incredibly uneven in his ridicule of others without leveling the same accountability for his own lack of judgement or contributions when the band needed him. Others felt his sense of contribution was exaggerated as well given his tendency to be incapacitated while the band was in the studio. And the last major criticism seem to be that many felt Ace was perhaps less of a reformed alcoholic, so much as someone pretending to be one. Perhaps this came from his lack of remorse for much of anything he did which, for those who are recovering, may feel disingenuous. It's been interesting listening to the reviews though. So I'm picking the book up this weekend to see what I think. I appreciate your review and the point of purchase reveal. I'll post my opinions next week on your thread after I am done reading it.

Images
    Did he mention that Tommy Thayer had to reteach him how to play his own guitar licks for the Kiss reunion tour?

I really dug Kiss in the 70s. They were like living super heroes. Ace's solo album was the best, in my opinion, and his Frehley's Comet solo stuff was also pretty good. But during his time with Kiss he was wasted most of the time and they had to have studio musicians fill in for him. Even though he still got credit on the albums. He is a good (not great) guitarist that exaggerates his greatness that got very lucky and became very wealthy.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    Did he mention that Tommy Thayer had to reteach him how to play his own guitar licks for the Kiss reunion tour?

I really dug Kiss in the 70s. They were like living super heroes. Ace's solo album was the best, in my opinion, and his Frehley's Comet solo stuff was also pretty good. But during his time with Kiss he was wasted most of the time and they had to have studio musicians fill in for him. Even though he still got credit on the albums. He is a good (not great) guitarist that exaggerates his greatness that got very lucky and became very wealthy.
    I think that is a pretty fair assessment. The tragedy of Ace is he COULD have been so much more than just a member of KISS. When both he and Peter left the band, Paul kept KISS going and spent all of the 80's keeping the band alive while Gene wandered into aimless Hollywood projects. And Peter received royalties as an equal partner until '88 when Paul and Gene bought out his interests. So when I hear Ace or Peter complain about the "politics" of being in the band, I essentially roll my eyes because they have received a lot of free paydays for what amounted to five years of work in the 70's before the band reunited in 1996. And even during those initial years, their contributions are in great question since both developed huge drug and alcohol problems.

Ace, without question, has alot of natural talent for the guitar. His playing has feel that most guitarists can't mimic. Tommy can't touch him. He may have shown Ace the notes as played from Alive & Alive II, but having to "reteach" him is a description handed out by Gene to downgrade him. I don't buy that at all. When they reunited, they wanted to duplicate the songs from those two albums, so everyone had to go over those notes again. Ace was not by himself. Paul and Gene did too. Ace is interesting on a variety of different levels. He's right up there with Keith Richards with regards to someone who has abused their bodies far beyond the realm of medical science to explain. Yet they continue to live and live fairly well. He's the rock n' roll equivalent of the "Dude" from the Big Lebowski.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MIB41 View Post
    I think that is a pretty fair assessment. The tragedy of Ace is he COULD have been so much more than just a member of KISS.
    Ace had natural talent and good stage presense. But I don't think he would be so idolized as a guitar legend if it had not been for Kiss. I liked his Frehley's Comet albums but they showed he really wasn't popular enough to sustain a long term solo career. He didn't seem to be in high demand by other bands either.

When both he and Peter left the band, Paul kept KISS going and spent all of the 80's keeping the band alive while Gene wandered into aimless Hollywood projects. And Peter received royalties as an equal partner until '88 when Paul and Gene bought out his interests.
    Peter was not on the level of talent as Ace and should be continually thanking his lucky stars for having the blind luck of being in Kiss. Eric Carr absolutely smoked Peter as a drummer.

And even during those initial years, their contributions are in great question since both developed huge drug and alcohol problems.
    I agree with that.

He may have shown Ace the notes as played from Alive & Alive II, but having to "reteach" him is a description handed out by Gene to downgrade him.
    I've read interviews with Ace, in his more honest and lucid momments, where admits to not remembering large chunks of time do to his heavy sustance abuse. So, yeah, Tommy having to reteach him how to play those songs is not that hard to believe.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    this is on my Christmas list. thanks for post the review.
    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Images
    I'm just amazed he's still alive!!! WWolf got it on the target tho' Seeing Ace Sans-makeup the first time back then was a BIG tell of how much alcohol abuse the man was under! I remember staying up late to see them on NBC. (With Dad's permission) Only to have my Old Man point out how wasted they were!
    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
    MEGO MOTORS

Blog Entries
    Looking at the comments here, I think it's fair to say that both of you (and boss too) will enjoy the insight from this book. Having read both of Gene's books and following the KISS story forever I got to tell ya that Ace's take in this book is very enlightening. I think once you read the book you won't find the arrogant Ace of legend and previous interviews. He genuinely comes off as honest and shooting straight.

As far as Ace's attitude towards Gene and modern KISS (which I personally view as nothing much more than a KISS tribute band) I feel it's fair. Despite what the critics and naysayers say had he and Peter not been their for the founding of the band and the sacrifices THEY made we wouldn't be talking about KISS today. Sure everyone has an opinion in regards to the influence each member had to the whole but honestly had any of those first four not been there we wouldn't have KISS as we know it. It took those four personalities and their respective talents working together to make it happen.

Of course everyone will draw their own conclusion but as for me, I gotta tell ya, of all of the tell- all's and legend about KISS I really feel that what Ace presents here is quite revealing sans a blow by blow examination of every nuance which this book doesn't do. But then again I don't believe it was intended to.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ddgaff1132 View Post
    I'm just amazed he's still alive!!! WWolf got it on the target tho' Seeing Ace Sans-makeup the first time back then was a BIG tell of how much alcohol abuse the man was under! I remember staying up late to see them on NBC. (With Dad's permission) Only to have my Old Man point out how wasted they were!
    You likely were watching the Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder. That's considered the most classic KISS interview of all time because... and yes you already said... Ace was drunk. But he was hilarious in that interview. What made it so funny was the other were not and his antics were really getting under the skin of Gene. Here's an excerpt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbDq_...eature=related