X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

Cipsa Ape question (pic heavy)

Has anyone ever put together a reference on textiles for the Cipsa Apes?

I have a couple of Ursus figures that are drastically different material wise. I know there were a couple of color changes on the sleeve fabric for a few of the Cipsas. Was wondering if anyone has documented other differences.

The black pleather on these are worlds apart. One is very thin and fine grained, the other is thicker and has more texture to the grain. The inside webbing stuff is different as well. The thicker one has the same grain as the chest area insert on my Urko figure. I have not seen the thinner material anywhere else in Cipsa (or Lili Ledy) figures.

I did find what looked like one other smooth version that went for sale in the marketplace somewhere in the last year. Dave Mc was selling it, but I am not sure who picked him up.

Any and all input appreciated. Have a GOOD time.

• sauce
    Removed
    • Jun 24, 2007

I know there are a couple bootleg CIPSA tunics out in history somewhere.
    I have some.
    But what you show photos of look really vintage original to me.
    The first tunic in your post looks the most unfamiliar to me, but I wouldn't doubt its originality just from that one photo, given that some knockoffs have surfaced though they look different from that particular one.

Run-on sentence, anyone??

Comment

• rche
      channeling Bob Wills
      • Mar 26, 2008

interesting. The first tunic - i.e. the more textured one is the one I would call legit. It is the smooth one I am wondering about.

I have seen boot LL star wars with the thinner fabric as well.

Comment

• sauce
        Removed
        • Jun 24, 2007

Haha! Cool
        :-)

Your third pic shows a texture that I have seen most often in CIPSA-PLEATHER-PLEASURE-VILLE

Comment

• Tothiro
          Kitten Mittens
          • Aug 28, 2008

Third pic is the same tunic as the cuff in the second pic correct? And that one has the squared weave fabric backing, while the first/gator skin style has the looped weave fabric backing - yes?
          Last pic is a third texture type? And is the tan pleather a painted treatment? I see some marks on it that suggest it might be black underneath with a tan overcoat... Unless those are just, well, marks.
          Last edited by Tothiro; Nov 10, '11, 1:45 AM.

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, me and rche have had some discussions about this, he beat me to the punch with this thread. I've owned two Ursuses (Ursi?), one I got from Bryan, the other from Vinny, and both have the identical thin, fine grained material, with the square shaped batting on the inside. My Urko (from Vinny) also has the exact same material on the black part of his tunic. rche, the pics of your other figures are fascinating, there is such a huge difference between the two materials, I get what you've been telling me. Bryan and Heath have done such an awesome job of analyzing the minutia of the Ledy superhero suits, it would be great if we could do something similar for the Cipsa apes. I know that a couple of you guys have boxed figures with outfits even sealed in the original bags, so let's see some more comparisons.
            Last edited by cjefferys; Nov 10, '11, 2:34 AM.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by rche
              I have seen boot LL star wars with the thinner fabric as well.
              Are you referring to the material used for the 12" Ledy Vader's pleather pants? Now I'll have to take a look on the pants on my Vader to see how they compare. This is interesting.

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Tothiro
                Last pic is a third texture type? And is the tan pleather a painted treatment? I see some marks on it that suggest it might be black underneath with a tan overcoat... Unless those are just, well, marks.
                That's a pic of the Cipsa Urko, who has a black part at the top of his tunic sewn to the tan remaining part. I think rche is showing that that material is more similar to the material shown in the first photo of Ursus. On the other hand, my Urko has material like the second Ursus.

Comment

• sauce
                  Removed
                  • Jun 24, 2007

Totally down for this Ape Game!
                  I'll go recharge the camera battery

Comment

• Tothiro
                    Kitten Mittens
                    • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by cjefferys
                    That's a pic of the Cipsa Urko, who has a black part at the top of his tunic sewn to the tan remaining part. I think rche is showing that that material is more similar to the material shown in the first photo of Ursus. On the other hand, my Urko has material like the second Ursus.
                    No, I believe you're missing what I was asking - Look at the photo with regard to the downward streak under the right armpit (photo left side) and another dark area below it which may be a camera lens effect or simply dirt (I don't have my Photoshop booted up at the moment or I'd circle them for you)

What I was asking is if this tan portion is really fabricated tan origin, or if it is black material with an additional process layered over it at factory. IE - did they cut it all out and spray paint portions before assembly, because that is not outside the realm of reason with these things, you know?

Comment

• rche
                      channeling Bob Wills
                      • Mar 26, 2008

rob - yes to your observations about the black tunics. Pretty sure the Urko is an orangy-tan with some marks on it. I will take a closer gander and report.

chris - yes, I have seen pants and tops for Vader that are fake. Actually, the Vader (and Solo) stuff for LL should be a thinner material, but the textures are a bit different.
                      Last edited by rche; Nov 10, '11, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• rche
                        channeling Bob Wills
                        • Mar 26, 2008

Was hoping that Bryan and Megoapesnut (Scott?) would chime in with some up close and personals.

I have looked through some of the past market threads that are still up along with some images I have archived and I see both materials being used.

Bryan; If you want to use a little space on World mego for a Cipsa Textile comparison, or if Megoapesnut wants to do something similar on his Cipsa appreciation pages, you are more than welcome to use the close up shots from this thread. I can take more pics as well, if needed.

thanks - rche

Comment

• sauce
                          Removed
                          • Jun 24, 2007

I will get busy, bro
                          Promise

Comment

• megoapesnut
                            The name says it all!
                            • Dec 3, 2007

I'll break out the camera as well. I will say now that I have also owned Ursus figures with both of the materials depicted below. I believe them both to be authentic, but I can confirm that the smoother textured material on the right is what I have on my loose Ursus, and that was taken from the SEALED baggie of clothes and accessories. So, that is most definitely authentic.

Comment

• megoapesnut
                              The name says it all!
                              • Dec 3, 2007

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍