X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottA
    Original Member
    • Jun 25, 2001

Once Upon A Time

Is anyone else watching this? Two shows in and it's actually pretty good. We are really enjoying it. Starting to go into backgrounds of the characters now - what made the Queen evil, her "friendship" with Malificent and what Snow White did to her to make her hate her so much. The fairly tale parts are pretty good. Fun stuff.
    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH
  • jimsmegos
    Mego Dork
    • Nov 9, 2008

We caught the premiere and thought it was pretty good but actually forgot all about last nights episode. Ooops. While I think it's a clever take I just don't see how it'll maintain interest as a weekly TV show. I think it would make a really good mini series but lasting past one season I think will be a real challenge. Just my two cents.

Comment

• MeerkatMego
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 7, 2007

Originally posted by jimsmegos
      We caught the premiere and thought it was pretty good but actually forgot all about last nights episode. Ooops. While I think it's a clever take I just don't see how it'll maintain interest as a weekly TV show. I think it would make a really good mini series but lasting past one season I think will be a real challenge. Just my two cents.
      I agree. I liked the idea but I don't see it carrying over 22 episodes a season for a several seasons. Personally, I think that's one reason the Event failed, they kept having to drag it out. You're right it would make a great mini-series. I'd like to see the networks go back to making mini-series or follow a shorter season like the cable channels. Some shows don't need 22 episodes for 5 or 7 seasons to tell their story.
      Meerkat Mego

Comment

• madmarva
        Talkative Member
        • Jul 7, 2007

I liked the first episode, but have yet to watch the second one.

I don't really see how we can judge the longevity of a TV series that has some promise, IMO, after one episode. If it was trash with terrible production values, I could see blowing it off after an episode, but that didn't seem to be the case with this show. Who would have thought Lost would have ran as long as it did and ended up like it did.

Most series do fail, particularly fantasy and sci-fi ones. But you never know. It certainly would have a better chance if it were on CW or Fox where big ratings aren't as important.

But, I do agree the better shows on today are the 12-episode dramas on the cable channels. It's certainly easier to write an arc if you know for sure how many episodes there are going to be and that they all will be produced.

The three major networks pull the plug on some shows before they ever have their feet under them and that may happen with Once Upon A Time, but I hope not.

Comment

• scifiguy94
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I liked it too. I watched the first episode with low expectations, but the idea worked. Agree, not sure about it lasting for the long haul though.

Comment

• Adam West
            Museum CPA
            • Apr 14, 2003

I didn't get a chance to see it but will watch it on Demand. Sounds like the background stories are similar to Gregory MacGuire's books (Wicked being the most successful of the bunch)?
            "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
            ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• kingdom warrior
              OH JES!!
              • Jul 21, 2005

Love It!!! Has a great Dramatic twist to the Classic story book characters. I'm already hooked into it and Ginnifer Goodwin from walk the line is Gorgeous!!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                OH JES!!
                • Jul 21, 2005

Just read it was picked up for a Full season....

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

I liked the two episodes so far...Glad to hear it was picked up for a full season...
                  Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                    Formerly known as Del
                    • Dec 12, 2004

I've heard about this show, but haven't watched it yet. Is it anything like the Fables comics?
                    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• Adam West
                      Museum CPA
                      • Apr 14, 2003

I finally watched Episode 1 and loved it. I actually could see this running a few seasons....since they are overlapping various characters who could enter into other fairy tale plots. Rumplestiltskin made an appearance in the first episode (even though he is not associated with Snow White). I could see them using various villains within episodes that aren't normally associated with classics. Looking forward to catching episode 2.
                      "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                      ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• ScottA
                        Original Member
                        • Jun 25, 2001

The show is back tonight with the story of Rumpelstiltskin in Fairytale Land and Emma running for Sheriff in Storybrooke. Good stuff.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

good episode with a lot of back story. next week looks to be good with the intro of Hansel and gretel

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 20, 2011

Watched the first eppy; have the rest on my DVR waiting for free time to watch them! Sounds like I'm gonna have to try it out sometime soon....!
                            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• ScottA
                              Original Member
                              • Jun 25, 2001

Last night was Prince James' wedding to King Midas' daughter and the story of how Snow meets the 8 dwarfs. Yes, I said 8. I really am liking this show.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎